ADVERTISEMENT

Ice Hockey recruitin for 16-17 season

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Recruiting ~ missed the g. I'm thinking that the letter of intent day is coming up pretty soon, but I don't follow hockey recruiting closely. Perhaps someone who does can report how it is going. Black Shoe Diaries reports the following Penn State recruits:

Folkes, Liam LW 5-9, 175 Brockville (CJHL)
Jones, Peyton G 6-4, 205 Langhorne, Penn. Lincoln (USHL)
Kohler, Sean LW 5-9, 175 Oakville, Ont. Oakville (OJHL)
Myllari, Kris D 6-2, 185 Youngstown (USHL)
Pavlychev, Nikita LW 6-6, 195 Des Moines (USHL)
Ruggiero, Steve D 6-3, 180 Kings Park, N.Y. U.S. NTDP U18
Smirnov, Denis F 5-8, 182 Fargo (USHL)
Sucese, Nathan LW 5-8, 172 Dubuque (USHL)

Anyone know about these players? Thanks

Ruggiero, a highly rated recruit from the national U18 team, decommitted a long time ago and switched to Providence where I think he already played this past season. PSU got a commit from a different defenseman, James Gobetz with Des Moines of the USHL, he is a pretty big guy at 6'3" and about 200lbs. Tough to evaluate defensemen from stats?!? Add to your list Blake Gober, a forward from Bloomington of the USHL who is already 21 years old. The goalie Jones had a great year statistically (0.920 save percentage) and Smirnov was drafted #40 in the first round of the russian KHL draft a couple years ago and had a 4 goal game a few weeks ago. Pavlychev is listed in some places as being 6'7" so that's gotta be interesting to see up on skates. Myllari, a much needed defenseman, is Canadian, and had 22 points in 55 games and +22 on the season, and one of the guys that I think stands out in the class (of course that's never having seen him play!). Sucese scored a point per game this season, and Kohler has played the past few years for Canadian Jr A teams with stats similar to Curtis Loik. Folks is also Canadian and the past two seasons in Jr A has scored more than a point per game, so is another one to watch. I realize all of this is close to meaningless on a player by player basis, but it's all I can find, and has been reasonably predictive past few years...

Ruggiero, a highly rated recruit from the national U18 team, decommitted a long time ago and switched to Providence where I think he already played this past season. PSU got a commit from a different defenseman, James Gobetz with Des Moines of the USHL, he is a pretty big guy at 6'3" and about 200lbs. Tough to evaluate defensemen from stats?!? Add to your list Blake Gober, a forward from Bloomington of the USHL who is already 21 years old. The goalie Jones had a great year statistically (0.920 save percentage) and Smirnov was drafted #40 in the first round of the russian KHL draft a couple years ago and had a 4 goal game a few weeks ago. Pavlychev is listed in some places as being 6'7" so that's gotta be interesting to see up on skates. Myllari, a much needed defenseman, is Canadian, and had 22 points in 55 games and +22 on the season, and one of the guys that I think stands out in the class (of course that's never having seen him play!). Sucese scored a point per game this season, and Kohler has played the past few years for Canadian Jr A teams with stats similar to Curtis Loik. Folks is also Canadian and the past two seasons in Jr A has scored more than a point per game, so is another one to watch. I realize all of this is close to meaningless on a player by player basis, but it's all I can find, and has been reasonably predictive past few years...

A friend who knows hockey very well (he's coached internationally) says that Smirnov is the real deal.

Last time I checked, Smirnov ans Sucese were 4th and 7th overall in USHL scoring. They also have the 4th leading scoring defensemen from the USHL committed, but he may still be a year away. The Pavlychev kid is going to be a big time project. He is big, but did not have much success in the USHL this year. But the most important recruit is Jones (the goalie). This kid is a stud. He played in the USA Hockey Top Prospects game this year. And with McAdam leaving, he could step in and start next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT