ADVERTISEMENT

Ice hockey - PSU at Minny tonight and tomorrow night - links

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011

Here is an excellent Minneapolis StarTribune article: Penn State leads expanding college hockey footprint.

"Penn State has turned what many thought would be a weak attempt at
expanding college hockey into an instant success. In State College, Pa.,
hockey is one of the hottest tickets in town. It's already a
self-sustaining sport that turned nearly $1 million in positive net
revenue last season."

"Everything was done the right way [at Penn State]. It's the model of
how to start a program, and they're proving they can be successful not
just competitively but financially. I think that does raise eyebrows in a
good way."

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State's exciting
regular season comes to a close with a pair of games at perennial power,
No. 15 Minnesota, inside Mariucci Arena. Both games are slated for 8
p.m. ET puck drops.

FRIDAY TELEVISION

MeTV (Johnstown-Altoona-State College)
CW 15 (Harrisburg-Lancaster-York-Lebanon)
MyTV 22 (Pittsburgh)
WQMY 11 (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)

SATURDAY TELEVISION

Fox Sports North Plus

Both games will be carried by BTN2Go.

gopsusports

Who thought it would be a "weak attempt" at expanding hockey? I know people in Minnesota think hockey begins and ends at their state border (with a few people playing north of the border too). ;). I wasnt sure if they'd be making a profit by now but with Pegula donating millions for a brand new arena and the popularity of hockey in Pennsylvania I didn't know anyone who thought it would be anything other than a success. The biggest discussion as this was going on was that many thought the arena wasn't big enough. ;)

This post was edited on 3/13 7:57 PM by psu00

True comment about Minnesotans view of hockey("We are the state of hockey" -Mn Wild Slogan). I knew PSU could be a potential Hockey giant. You've only had the Penguins and the Flyers for how long?....

Anyway, Congratulations and Good luck this weekend. Just not too much luck...
wink.r191677.gif

For all the (regular season) marbles! Okay, both of us need MSU to stumble a bit, but a fan can dream right?

Cheers!

Thanks Gopher fan. No offense was meant to the Gophers at all- more questioning the author of that article. ;). I know it's a down year for the conference overall but I'm just glad this PSU team is in the discussion. Hopefully over the long term Penn St can have as much success as Minnesota has had over the years. It should be a great series of hockey this weekend.

Now if they can just set up a Pens vs Flyers game at the Beav it would be perfect. You could see a crowd of 100,000- half in orange and black and the other half in black and gold. The author of that article may finally notice hockey is pretty popular in Pennsylvania too. ;)

This post was edited on 3/13 8:18 PM by psu00

Now if they can just set up a Pens vs Flyers game at the
Beav it would be perfect. You could see a crowd of 100,000- half in
orange and black and the other half in black and gold.

We can only dream.

1-0 Gophers - power play goal. PSU has to stay out of the box.**

antidisestablishmentarianism

Yeah, I know there's technical issues with winterizing the stadium but hope is eternal. ;)

Saar is a beast but that dumb penalty is really costly in a game like this*

Re: 2-0 Gophers - 8:49 left in the 1st.**

PSU better focus or this will get ugly. Being outshot 9-3.

It was a dumb penalty and things turned fast after that. **

Should have been benched...

Probably the single biggest point of emphasis in pregame was staying out of the box. That play was equal parts lazy and dumb and PSU just didn't recover until it may be too late. 3-0 on the road at Marriucci is a big hole to climb out of.

Re: Should have been benched...

I just heard the local radio guys talking about the Minny power play. 34% on the season in Big Ten games and 37% in their last 14 games.

Folks as a Penn Stater living in Minnesota I can tell you that beating the gophers twice here would be akin to the Miracle on Ice. Maybe we would call it Miracle on Ice 2. They get 18000 per game for the high school playoffs. Minnesota hockey players are more revered than the football and basketball players.

Minny is a completely different team at home. They love that 200 x 100 ice surface.

No offense taken. I know fellow Gopher Hockey fans can be arrogant, etc. and not the good etcetera either. Trust me most Gopher fans question the Star Tribune. Well most of us "like" Sid, but he's a 80 to 90 something year old homer.

BTW Is Prep hockey in Pennsylvania more of a prep/ boarding school thing? Or is it State high school league driven like Minnesota?

Still 3-0 Gophers. PSU with nothing on 2 power plays and now get

a too many men on the ice penalty. 10:00 and change left in the period.

Still 3-0 Gophers at the end of the 2nd.

Better period for PSU. Would have been nice to convert on the power play in the 2nd - 0 -2 so far with 39 seconds left on the third and current chance that will spill over into the 3rd period.

Still 3-0 Gophers 13:55 to go with PSU now 0-4 on the power play. **

Bailey with a 5 minute penalty for a hit to the head which wipes out

PSU's 5th power play chance. 11:34 to go.

This post was edited on 3/13 10:04 PM by mn78psu83

5 - 0 Gophers on an empty net goal and another right after - 2:47 to go.**

I guess people in MN don't know how big hockey is in PA. Our love for the Flyers and Pens has filtered down to the minors and further on to the HS ranks which has produced more than a few NHL players. By my count there are 5 NHLers from PA currently.
This post was edited on 3/13 10:23 PM by LionsandBear

Ugly end here. Conway gets 5:00 and a game with 2:47 to go for a shot

to the head. Saar, who has not played a shift since his penalty, sits in the box for Conway.

ADVERTISEMENT