ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Matt Rhule has an exception built into his Carolina contract?

That he could leave for PSU if the head coaching position were to come open. He would be a great fit in terms of culture and he has shown the ability to turn struggling college football programs around. He sure has PSU in his blood. I think he could maintain recruiting, the area that Franklin excels in.

Unless things have changed, or Rhule is the exception, NFL coaching contracts do not have buyout provisions enforced on the coach.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Unless things have changed, or Rhule is the exception, NFL coaching contracts do not have buyout provisions enforced on the coach.
And I seriously doubt a college coach who wants to coach in the NFL is going to put in an out clause to go back to a college job.

Reactions: indoorgolf
Didn't Bobby Petrino resign from the Atlanta Falcons during the NFL season to take the Arkansas job? I assume that Rhule could do the same. This is just hypothetical.

So the confluence of James changing his agent and his Freudian slips in today's press conference have folks preparing for change. Why wouldn't we?

Earlier today, Mike Tomlin showed other coaches how to address rumors about vacant college football HC positions. It is a template that should be followed by any coach whose name comes up in rumor. That is it should be a template if there is no chance in hell that they would leave their current position.

Maybe we should only think about Matt Rhule if local media asks him a question about Penn State. If he is less than candid, then we can get our hopes up, right?

If Rhule doesn’t start doing something in Charlotte he’ll likely be available sooner rather than later.

I highly doubt it, if something insane like that was in his contract we would have heard about it.
“Um….Mr. Tepper? Matt’s all ready to sign the huge, six year contract as a first time NFL head coach. Yes. Right. But, he wants an out clause in case the Penn State job opens up. Right. Uh huh. I’ll tell him you said to ‘go f*&k off.’l

Rhule isn’t coming to Penn State. The biggest problem with the folks who want Franklin gone is their fantasy list of coaches we would get. I would love to get Saban or Meyer, but we’re not getting them either. So it’s either try to keep Franklin or go with the flavor of the month (and the flavor of the month never works out, except Franklin).
It’s not the folks who want Franklin gone that are a concern. Franklin will not be fired. The concern is that Franklin might choose to go elsewhere and then the choice becomes who is available/interested/attainable to coach PSU.

Reactions: RaymondReddington
Take it for what it is worth: Joel Klatt just mentioned on The Herd that his "sources" are saying that maybe Matt Ruhle isn't as tied in and dedicated to the NFL as many have believed.

Again, take it for what it is worth.

I would love Ruhle and love for him to keep Yurcich. If Franklin leaves I believe that is the Home Run Hire we have been accustomed to.

Reactions: MacNit07
Take it for what it is worth: Joel Klatt just mentioned on The Herd that his "sources" are saying that maybe Matt Ruhle isn't as tied in and dedicated to the NFL as many have believed.

I would love Ruhle and love for him to keep Yurcich. If Franklin leaves I believe that is the Home Run Hire we have been accustomed to.

I am not going to post info from FOS but I will say Sandy has this and it is not tongue in cheek. Penn State is prepared, if Franklin decides to leave. They will move quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Lion
I am not going to post info from FOS but I will say Sandy has this and it is not tongue in cheek. Penn State is prepared, if Franklin decides to leave.
@BobPSU92

Only confirming what you've said all along - "but I will say Sandy has this."

HC: Matt Ruhle
OC/QB: Mike Yurcich
DC/LB: Phil Snow
RB: Jeff Nixon
OL: anyone but Traut
WR: Taylor Stubblefield
TE: Ty Howle
DL: Eli Robinson
DB: Terry Smith
S: Anothony Poindexter
ST: Mike Siravo

It’s not the folks who want Franklin gone that are a concern. Franklin will not be fired. The concern is that Franklin might choose to go elsewhere and then the choice becomes who is available/interested/attainable to coach PSU.
Not trying to keep him is as big a concern as firing him.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I really think that is where most sit at this time. It is where I am as well. My actual concern for him is the recruiting class and not wanting to lose some of them.
Yep. Nothing anyone can do but wait. As a fan though, it's hard not to be concerend about the possible timing of a coaching departure, new hire, and the recruiting cycle.

I really think that is where most sit at this time. It is where I am as well. My actual concern for him is the recruiting class and not wanting to lose some of them.
Agree…recruiting class and who we would get to replace him. If it was a home run hire, then great, but I don’t think it will be.

Yep. Nothing anyone can do but wait. As a fan though, it's hard not to be concerned about the possible timing of a coaching departure, new hire, and the recruiting cycle.
Here is my imaginary timeline for after this season:

Penn State finds a way to go 4-1 and end the regular season at 9-3.
The day after the season PSU accepts a bid to the Outback Bowl to play Florida.
Franklin announces he is leaving for USC and PSU announces that Brent Pry will coach the team in the bowl game.
About 7-10 players immediately hit the portal or don't play because of the risk of injury to their draft status.
Clifford announces he will return for 2022.
Rumors crush the airways that Matt Ruhle will accept the job at Penn State and he and the Panthers come to a separation agreement which allows Ruhle the time needed to keep the class together.
Ruhle keeps most of the recruiting class intact because he keeps Yurcich, especially the Big 4 or Allar, Singleton, Saunders, and Shelton.
We do lose some of the Franklin Southern Kids and lose Driver as well but Ruhle gets a few late flips.
We again have peace and start to get excited about the Blue-White Game.

Under what context did this come up? Franklin's job status?

I am not going to post info from FOS but I will say Sandy has this and it is not tongue in cheek. Penn State is prepared, if Franklin decides to leave. They will move quick.
I would hope she's had a list of quality candidates in mind. After all, this isn't the first time we've been through this so there have been plenty of "false alarms" that CJF may leave. If she didn't have a list of replacements in mind by now after years of CJF flirting with other jobs I'd be shocked.

College jobs in general after the Tonkin speech yesterday. Cowherd is still on the JF train to USC.
Was that the Gulf of Tonkin?

On a less snarky note, Rivals has a headline article about the possibility of Dan Mullen at FL being on the hot seat. Franklin would kill it in recruiting at that school.

Tell me that Sandy has Matt Rhule lined up, without telling me that Sandy has Matt Rhule lined up.

That he could leave for PSU if the head coaching position were to come open. He would be a great fit in terms of culture and he has shown the ability to turn struggling college football programs around. He sure has PSU in his blood. I think he could maintain recruiting, the area that Franklin excels in.
Pro contracts are usually much more secure than the college contracts. At least that’s what I was told by an agent. Although if he doesn’t want to be in Carolina I can’t see why they would want him . But he would walk away from a ton of guaranteed $

Didn't Bobby Petrino resign from the Atlanta Falcons during the NFL season to take the Arkansas job? I assume that Rhule could do the same. This is just hypothetical.
It basically ruined his reputation and I assume Ruhle is a much more of an honorable man than the slimeball known as Bobby Petrino.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I accept that not everyone holds my opinion and they haven’t since year two. And you might want to look up the word apologist. I support Franklin because I feel he’s the best option we have and I’m not wild about rolling the dice and ending up with someone like Luke Fickell, who I think will be a complete failure.
Here is my imaginary timeline for after this season:

Penn State finds a way to go 4-1 and end the regular season at 9-3.
The day after the season PSU accepts a bid to the Outback Bowl to play Florida.
Franklin announces he is leaving for USC and PSU announces that Brent Pry will coach the team in the bowl game.
About 7-10 players immediately hit the portal or don't play because of the risk of injury to their draft status.
Clifford announces he will return for 2022.
Rumors crush the airways that Matt Ruhle will accept the job at Penn State and he and the Panthers come to a separation agreement which allows Ruhle the time needed to keep the class together.
Ruhle keeps most of the recruiting class intact because he keeps Yurcich, especially the Big 4 or Allar, Singleton, Saunders, and Shelton.
We do lose some of the Franklin Southern Kids and lose Driver as well but Ruhle gets a few late flips.
We again have peace and start to get excited about the Blue-White Game.
1-4 much more likely.

It basically ruined his reputation and I assume Ruhle is a much more of an honorable man than the slimeball known as Bobby Petrino.
Agree. Just trying to establish what's possible. If I remember correctly, Petrino said goodbye to the team by taping a brief note on the locker of each player. He never addressed the team directly.

Last edited:
In transit to MD yesterday afternoon, I found an A.M. radio station that focused on sports. Two co-hosts (can't recall their names). One of them was getting to rumors of Rhule tiring of the NFL and going to USC! WTF?

I waited an hour for them to get to that, only to have the station fade out. Sorry I can't offer their basis for discussing that as a possibility. I could see FL or PSU if they opened up but USC?

ADVERTISEMENT