ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Matt Rhule has an exception built into his Carolina contract?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
That he could leave for PSU if the head coaching position were to come open. He would be a great fit in terms of culture and he has shown the ability to turn struggling college football programs around. He sure has PSU in his blood. I think he could maintain recruiting, the area that Franklin excels in.

Reactions: MacNit07
That he could leave for PSU if the head coaching position were to come open. He would be a great fit in terms of culture and he has shown the ability to turn struggling college football programs around. He sure has PSU in his blood. I think he could maintain recruiting, the area that Franklin excels in.

What sane person would leave an NFL head coaching gig for PSU?

Carolina right now, if this clause exists, probably is begging for it.

LdN

I highly doubt it, if something insane like that was in his contract we would have heard about it.

I guess all this speculation says something, not sure what, exactly, but can we put the Matt Rhule theories in the trash can for goodness sakes? He has stated that he always wanted to be an NFL coach. He won’t go back to the college ranks unless there is nowhere else to go.

That's some revisionist history right there.

LdN
Really? Saban failed at Miami, lied about leaving his job, returned to CFB and landed on his feet and created a dynasty of epic proportions at blueblood Bama (who churned thru coaches)…if we can get 1/10 such success we will be ahead of the game.

Really? Saban failed at Miami, lied about leaving his job, returned to CFB and landed on his feet and created a dynasty of epic proportions at blueblood Bama (who churned thru coaches)…if we can get 1/10 such success we will be ahead of the game.

Saban didn't leave Miami with a clause in his contract.

He was doing poorly. Miami no doubt was finished with him, and Alabama offered him more money.

He didn't just leave so he could coach college.

LdN

You're right he would be a Great fit. Especially since the Panthers offensive performance last weekend was every bit as pathetic as PSU's..........

Saban didn't leave Miami with a clause in his contract.

He was doing poorly. Miami no doubt was finished with him, and Alabama offered him more money.

He didn't just leave so he could coach college.

LdN
He tried to escape (and succeeded) with his reputation as a good coach intact. Now he is recognized as a great coach.

So Rhule has been announted as the “Savior de juer”?

Let me know when you have figured out how to exhume and resurrect Lombardi.
That's 'du jour' there, Frenchie!

Too much smoke this time around not to engage in speculation about Franklin's intentions. Rhule ain't no savior. He is a good, competitive college coach with strong connections to the region and program. We could do a lot worse if it comes to that.

That's 'du jour' there, Frenchie!

Too much smoke this time around not to engage in speculation about Franklin's intentions. Rhule ain't no savior. He is a good, competitive college coach with strong connections to the region and program. We could do a lot worse if it comes to that.
Yeah I know - posting from my phone has its drawbacks.

Wake me up when you resurrect Lombardi. Or JVP.

Rhule isn’t coming to Penn State. The biggest problem with the folks who want Franklin gone is their fantasy list of coaches we would get. I would love to get Saban or Meyer, but we’re not getting them either. So it’s either try to keep Franklin or go with the flavor of the month (and the flavor of the month never works out, except Franklin).

Rhule isn’t coming to Penn State. The biggest problem with the folks who want Franklin gone is their fantasy list of coaches we would get. I would love to get Saban or Meyer, but we’re not getting them either. So it’s either try to keep Franklin or go with the flavor of the month (and the flavor of the month never works out, except Franklin).
And why exactly not? Are you the President? AD?

And what a joke. Yes, Franklin was the flavor of the month. But by your definition, it worked out. But it never will again? Is AWS code for Fumi? Good Lord!

Dude, it’s a freaking game…you may need to recheck your priorities.
Touché…it’s a multi-million dollar game. If it is if no importance to you why do you post your pro-Franklin, all-is-well propaganda non- stop? Shut off your computer and start cooking up excuses for the next AW (only “Days” away).

He tried to escape (and succeeded) with his reputation as a good coach intact. Now he is recognized as a great coach.

No. Everyone knows Saban failed in the NFL.

LdN
Didn't Pete Carroll go from the NFL to college coaching? Maybe Spurrier?

Both were fired/about to be fired.

Ruhle has some ridiculous long term contract with Carolina.

I imagine whoever came up with that contract will be fired soon.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Touché…it’s a multi-million dollar game. If it is if no importance to you why do you post your pro-Franklin, all-is-well propaganda non- stop? Shut off your computer and start cooking up excuses for the next AW (only “Days” away).
Regardless of the dollar amount, it’s still a game that should have no effect on your real life. Maybe you need to shut off your computer and find a different hobby. If a loss gets you this upset, I feel bad for your family. I used to get as bothered as you, then I grew up.

No. Everyone knows Saban failed in the NFL.

LdN

Both were fired/about to be fired.

Ruhle has some ridiculous long term contract with Carolina.

I imagine whoever came up with that contract will be fired soon.
I was surprised that he got a 7-year contract. Wow. He's only 46 years old and pulling in $8 million + annually. Good for him!

Regardless of the dollar amount, it’s still a game that should have no effect on your real life. Maybe you need to shut off your computer and find a different hobby. If a loss gets you this upset, I feel bad for your family. I used to get as bothered as you, then I grew up.
Not really bothered at all. That said, I do enjoy the sport and would like to see our lot improved. I firmly believe that it is possible.

And I remember what Joe said: “You are either getting better or getting worse”. We are clearly getting worse and that snow ball is gathering momentum.

Not really bothered at all. That said, I do enjoy the sport and would like to see our lot improved. I firmly believe that it is possible.

And I remember what Joe said: “You are either getting better or getting worse”. We are clearly getting worse and that snow ball is gathering momentum.
And???? Does that make it harder for you to puff up your chest and brag to your buddies while pounding Rolling Rocks? Does it make you less of a man?

I was surprised that he got a 7-year contract. Wow. He's only 46 years old and pulling in $8 million + annually. Good for him!

Yep. Fully support him and I hope he is very successful. Because that helps us if he is.

But look at that contract. You think he has a clause for PSU?

LdN

And???? Does that make it harder for you to puff up your chest and brag to your buddies while pounding Rolling Rocks? Does it make you less of a man?
Not really sure what your point is…I am a huge fan (totally in perspective) and am simply expressing my opinion based upon my experiences as an athlete, a coach, alum, employee, and a long time observer of PSU - same as many others. Maybe even you?

I could ask the same question of you? Does being Franklin’s unofficial PR machine/apologist give you some greater standing on the school yard. Why not accept that everyone does not hold your opinion? Many share your passion.

Yep. Fully support him and I hope he is very successful. Because that helps us if he is.

But look at that contract. You think he has a clause for PSU?

LdN
No. I don't think he has a clause for PSU. His Carolina contract also has another $10 million in incentives, and they paid Baylor $6 million in the buyout. The Giants could have matched the deal at the time but passed and hired Judge.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Rumor was that he had such a clause at Baylor but I haven't heard anything to that effect with the Panthers. The NFL is a different beast and the timing wouldn't be in PSU's favor if CJF leaves now. Rhule is pretty early in his Carolina career, I don't see them firing him and don't think Rhule would be ready to leave yet. But PSU has to reach out to him regardless, even if the chances are low.

The Rhule fantasizing reminds me of all the Munchak and Golden talk here years ago.

Not really sure what your point is…I am a huge fan (totally in perspective) and am simply expressing my opinion based upon my experiences as an athlete, a coach, alum, employee, and a long time observer of PSU - same as many others. Maybe even you?

I could ask the same question of you? Does being Franklin’s unofficial PR machine/apologist give you some greater standing on the school yard. Why not accept that everyone does not hold your opinion? Many share your passion.
I accept that not everyone holds my opinion and they haven’t since year two. And you might want to look up the word apologist. I support Franklin because I feel he’s the best option we have and I’m not wild about rolling the dice and ending up with someone like Luke Fickell, who I think will be a complete failure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT