ADVERTISEMENT

I watched the "Lady" Lions last night against Delaware State on BTN+. What an embarrassment for

CattyGuy51

Nov 8, 2001
the team, the University, and mostly the Coach. I know that schedules are made years in advance but Delaware State should NEVER have been on the schedule. Early season games are suppose to prepare the team for the league games. Delaware State had a total of SIX players. They looked like they were picked at random form a middle school girls gym class. They gave their best effort but were totally in way over their heads. PSU was up by 60+ half way through the third and continued to use a full court press when I turned it off. Hardly a show of sportsmanship. What could be gained by that except to embarrass your opponent. Who does that to another coach and team. SAD. I lost all respect for Carolyn Kieger after that game.

the team, the University, and mostly the Coach. I know that schedules are made years in advance but Delaware State should NEVER have been on the schedule. Early season games are suppose to prepare the team for the league games. Delaware State had a total of SIX players. They looked like they were picked at random form a middle school girls gym class. They gave their best effort but were totally in way over their heads. PSU was up by 60+ half way through the third and continued to use a full court press when I turned it off. Hardly a show of sportsmanship. What could be gained by that except to embarrass your opponent. Who does that to another coach and team. SAD. I lost all respect for Carolyn Kieger after that game.
BB schedules aren't made that far in advance. Del St is Div 1......UPenn played a Div 3 school yesterday.

What should they do in this case? Forfeit or perhaps play subs the entire game? These early season games are played for a reason and most times both teams are keenly aware of their role.

Reactions: cigarowl and BBrown
PSU has nothing to be embarrassed about. Even UCONN scheduled some questionable opponents.

5 Big Ten programs are ranked in the top 25 right now - Maryland, IU, Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State. PSU plays all of them this season. So, getting wins in early never hurts. This is no different than when football schedules a D-1AA team and blows them out.

Having said that, I have no idea what, if any, agreements have to be made in terms of compensation, but I would be hard pressed to believe there isn't some sort of compensation associated with this. For HBCUs like Delaware State, its difficult enough to get funding and women's sports have a very tough time.

It's more of a matter of economics than competition.

Del State has more than 6 players on their roster, but only six were listed in the box score and since I did not see the game last night, not sure how many more players were on the bench. I would imagine the NCAA has some rules about a minimum number of players who have to make the trip and would guess it's more than 6. A quick review of their roster indicates a significant number of freshman and transfers.

As far as the full court press -two schools of thought - but I would agree that you don't press all the time. Coach should have had the sense to back them up and play half court D, picking up the offense at the half court line.

Last edited:
So did the ladies win, in Football, late leads don't mean wins. By the way, I love coach Franklin and hope he stays.

Reactions: psuaxe70
Without seeing it or knowing any back story, it probably isn't an issue. AS mentioned DSU is D1 and probably received some compensation for coming. Their roster has more than 6 players and the coach may have disciplined some as to why only 6 played. If coach K (GLOV's favorite nickname) was still pressing with her end of the bench players, it shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes going in to these games the coaches have plans for trying new things or specific lineups and maybe thats what was going on.

Ya no team ever crushes another in women’s basketball. It happens all the time.

When I saw the thread title I assumed the Penn St women’s team lost. ;).

Didn’t see the game. Totally agree they should not be scheduling Delaware State type teams. I hate it when teams press totally overmatched opponents once the game is in hand.

Reactions: CattyGuy51
I know nothing about Delaware State. That was not the point. I realize that there is a big disparity in Women's BB. There are the haves and the have nots. The point was that there was NO reason of PSU to be pressing a team with a total of SIX players in the gym, according to the announcers, who were down by 60+ points at that time. It is also irreverent as to weather the players were starters or not. I don't blame the players. They were just doing what they were told to do. It's on the coach. Total lack of sportsmanship. End of story.

Reactions: psu00
Del State plays Rutgres in December. Will be interesting to see the score of that game.

They (DSU) lost to Stony Brook by 41 FWIW.

Scheduling Del St in hoops is nothing worth mentioning. Every school in America does it.

Also, schedules are finalized in the summer before the games are played. Only in football are they unnecessarily scheduled years in advance

Reactions: bison13
PSU has nothing to be embarrassed about. Even UCONN scheduled some questionable opponents.
Have you really looked at UConn's out of league schedule? it is always one of the toughest in women's basketball. Gino wants to prepare his team for National Championships, and the tougher the schedule, the better.

Reactions: psu00
Scheduling Del St in hoops is nothing worth mentioning. Every school in America does it.

Also, schedules are finalized in the summer before the games are played. Only in football are they unnecessarily scheduled years in advance
Univ. of Md. womens basketball scores this season:
10/29/2021Fairmont StateCollege Park, Md.W 120-67
11/4/2021Georgian CourtCollege Park, Md.W 125-33

Reactions: bison13
Univ. of Md. womens basketball scores this season:
10/29/2021Fairmont StateCollege Park, Md.W 120-67
11/4/2021Georgian CourtCollege Park, Md.W 125-33

Those were exhibition games. But they are 4-0 thus far in actual games against Longwood, Villanova, James Madison and Mount St. Mary’s.

Have you really looked at UConn's out of league schedule? it is always one of the toughest in women's basketball. Gino wants to prepare his team for National Championships, and the tougher the schedule, the better.
Yeah, Penn State Women's hoops is not anywhere near that level to schedule UConn, Stanford or South Carolina.

During the 84/85 season, Rene's team beat Delaware State 110-48. What's your opinion of her?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT