ADVERTISEMENT

I want to thank this board

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
I am posting a message that I never wanted to write and never thought that even in this position that I would write. I know who a couple of people are on this board and I should have reached out to you before posting, but I am tired of speaking about it.

Found out in the last 2 weeks that the cancer that had been in one of my family members has come back and the location and the type of cancer makes any positive outcome look very unlikely. We will find out on Wednesday which National Hospital (Houston, Atlanta, Phil or Pit) that we will be going to for the next couple of months for treatment and for consultation.

I always wondered about people who were on a football board when dealing with such issues how can they be on a board talking about 18 year football recruits, and I have discovered that you cannot live in the cancer world for 24 hours straight, you need a distraction. A walk in the neighborhood a highschool sporting event, doing a project as we did last night making a cornhole game, for our good friends son, who recently got married, in Tennessee Titan Dark and Light Blue.

This is where this board comes in, I read about 15-20 of the posts and see some of the same names making their arguments and it brings back a tiny bit of normalcy.

I will not be on here nearly as much anymore, but I love the stories, the jokes, the weekend music picks, even if I still cannot figure out how to post the songs that I like.

The last two weeks for me have been unusual watching the games, I was certainly happy that we won, but realizing that I had much bigger things to worry about, it just gave me joy watching my favorite team continue to confound the experts.

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.

Cancer just plain sucks. There is no sugar coating it. Watching my dad go thru it and having a friend who went through with their parent tell me bluntly that it sucks certainly helped prepare me for what was ahead. Thinking about it 24/7 doesn't help and you need those diversions otherwise it will just drag you down. Stay strong, stay positive. I know easier said then done. You should check out For Pete's Sake which is a great org that helps families fighting cancer: https://takeabreakfromcancer.org/

[The family member is my wife of 26 years who is in her mid 50s.
We thought that we had made it through the gauntlet, but not to be, we have a big challenge yet to navigate.
Staying strong staying positive.
Thanks all.

We thought that we had made it through the gauntlet, but not to be, we have a big challenge yet to navigate.
Thanks all.

Again, very sorry to hear the news.

Prayers for comfort for you and your family. Cancer sucks.

I can understand how PSU football can serve as a distraction. My dad passed away the Thursday before Joe's final game (8 years ago almost to the day). There wasn't a bigger PSU fan than my dad. We planned his funeral sitting in the living room watching the Illinois game. The final missed field goal attempt that hit the right upright, went right at his empty seat in the handicapped section behind the students. To this day I'll always think he gave it a little push. When I'm having a down day I often go back and replay that final kick. It always makes me smile and gives me comfort.

I'm hoping this team gives you many fond memories to help you through this difficult time. God bless.

I truly empathize with the situation you are facing. I watched my baby sister suffer similarly for 8 years before passing 10 years ago. I spent the entire summer of 2018 in the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Philadelphia under treatment. I am an old man and I forget a lot of things but one thing I don't forget is that I have cancer.

Some suggestions that may help: Pray. Treasure every minute you have. Be thankful for every day you are given and enjoy all the little things that make up life. One thing that helps is when someone asks how I'm doing. It's nice when concern is shown and for me it's ok to talk about it.

Hope this helps a little. I will add you and your family to my prayer list. May peace, blessing and grace be yours.

God bless you and your wife, Soupy. I'm sure she wants you to maintain as much normalcy as possible, for her sake. Big picture - don't ever give up. Keep researching. Keep seeking new treatments at new facilities. I know several people who were essentially told there was no hope, but they found clinical trials and new treatments and just kept going. With the rate of progress in cancer research - just living another year or two may be enough time for the next breakthrough.

Keep the faith, hard as it may be.

Thanks all.
Jesus, how do I say this to convey my message properly, as I also have experienced the anger and frustration you must be feeling. Stay strong, stay upbeat and stay supportive as I’m sure you will. Those emotions will be paramount in her battle, but mostly you will be amazed at the strength her courage will give you. Best of luck to you both.

Thanks all.

You both are in my thoughts and prayers. May God grant you the wisdom and strength to support and comfort your wife on this difficult journey.

The family member is my wife of 26 years who is in her mid 50s.
Thanks all.

Soupy, your wife and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sounds as though the two of you were dealt a lousy, and unexpected, hand of cards (so to speak). I hope for your wife's sake that the doctors are part of a medical miracle, and the two of you are back to your normal lives in several months.

We'll do our best here to provide some breaks and amusement for you during the ordeal.

Please keep us updated on how things go. If you ever need anything from the board during this period, don't hesitate to ask.

I am posting a message that I never wanted to write and never thought that even in this position that I would write. I know who a couple of people are on this board and I should have reached out to you before posting, but I am tired of speaking about it.

Found out in the last 2 weeks that the cancer that had been in one of my family members has come back and the location and the type of cancer makes any positive outcome look very unlikely. We will find out on Wednesday which National Hospital (Houston, Atlanta, Phil or Pit) that we will be going to for the next couple of months for treatment and for consultation.

I always wondered about people who were on a football board when dealing with such issues how can they be on a board talking about 18 year football recruits, and I have discovered that you cannot live in the cancer world for 24 hours straight, you need a distraction. A walk in the neighborhood a highschool sporting event, doing a project as we did last night making a cornhole game, for our good friends son, who recently got married, in Tennessee Titan Dark and Light Blue.

This is where this board comes in, I read about 15-20 of the posts and see some of the same names making their arguments and it brings back a tiny bit of normalcy.

I will not be on here nearly as much anymore, but I love the stories, the jokes, the weekend music picks, even if I still cannot figure out how to post the songs that I like.

The last two weeks for me have been unusual watching the games, I was certainly happy that we won, but realizing that I had much bigger things to worry about, it just gave me joy watching my favorite team continue to confound the experts.

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.
I’m sorry for the health crisis that you are dealing with. You and your family will be in my thoughts as you fight the battle. Hopefully the undefeated season will continue (looks promising against bye this week), we have a returning national champion wrestling team returning to action, and the men’s basketball team is undefeated. You will have plenty of threads to distract you.

Prayers for comfort for you and your family. Cancer sucks.

I can understand how PSU football can serve as a distraction. My dad passed away the Thursday before Joe's final game (8 years ago almost to the day). There wasn't a bigger PSU fan than my dad. We planned his funeral sitting in the living room watching the Illinois game. The final missed field goal attempt that hit the right upright, went right at his empty seat in the handicapped section behind the students. To this day I'll always think he gave it a little push. When I'm having a down day I often go back and replay that final kick. It always makes me smile and gives me comfort.

I'm hoping this team gives you many fond memories to help you through this difficult time. God bless.
I was actually thankful in a way that my mom passed in August of 2011. She never had to see what her beloved Lions would go through in just a few short months thereafter. My dad passed a week later, so the fall of 2011 was not a lot of fun for me (except for beating Ohio State).

Reactions: AvgUser
Try to live as normal a life as possible, although as one who has survived (but not cured) my cancer for 15 years now, it becomes the new normal. Each year brings new medicines, and many cases are turning from killers to chronic conditions. Every fall at my first glimpse of Beaver Stadium driving in on 99 I know I made it another year. The side effects of many of the medicines can be a bitch but you learn how to manage your life and get the most from every day. Do what you can and what you want now. We all die eventuality and you never know what tomorrow brings. I’m very fortunate.

Stay strong Soupy...you and your wife will be thought of and prayed for here often. If you get a random moment, stop by to keep us posted and more importantly to just vent...throw all the shit in the world at us.

God bless and keep you in his ever loving mercy.

Best wishes for a good outcome, I hope both of you can find strength, hope, and peace in your journey.

Reactions: fairgambit

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.

Hate to hear that Soupy. I completely understand your statement about a post you never wanted to write or thought you would. I thought I would never share things that personal on a message board. And yet, I've had a thread ongoing on this site about my father's pancreatic cancer for the past couple months. It turns out it can be rather cathartic to have an anonymous place to share your thoughts, fears, and frustrations when you otherwise are always trying to be strong, confident, and positive for those you love.

Take care of your wife as best you can (as if you need told). The board will be here for any combination of absurd, insightful, mundane, entertaining, and overreacting you might desire. But you can also feel free to share what you're going through, and know you'll receive nothing but support. Good luck to you and your wife, we'll be praying for you.

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.

Soupy -

I'm very sorry to hear about your family member. You mentioned that you cannot live in the cancer world 24-7, and that's true. I came to this board almost every single day while my wife was ill to escape from the realities and worry that I faced. It kind of felt like meeting up at a bar with friends -- laughing at some of the things I read and It was also cathartic for me to express a few things here.

When you need a laugh, stop by. Also don't hesitate to ask for thoughts, prayers, advice or just vent. Good people here on the board. There is always someone here who gets it and can be of some help or support.

Best of luck.

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.
Praying and believing for you and your family. God bless.

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.
God bless and best of luck to you and your family

Thank you All. We ARE.
PSU Soupy.

Soupy, I’m sorry to hear this news and will be praying for your family. Don’t forget we’re all here if you just need a distraction or a place to vent.

From personal experience this prayer has brought much comfort and results:

Prayer to Saint Jude

Oh most holy apostle, St Jude, Faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honors and invokes you universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, of things almost despaired of. Pray for me, I am so helpless and alone. Make use I implore you, of that particular privilege given to you, to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly cancer and that I may praise God with you and all the elect forever. I promise, O blessed St Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you. Amen.

Thanks all.
Prayers for your wife, your family and for you Soupy.

ADVERTISEMENT