ADVERTISEMENT

I think Wide Receiver is the most important group for a College Program. Look at Bama, LSU, Clemson and OSU championships.

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
QB is important but the reality is Stud WR's get you to the promise land. I here that Lonnie White form Malvern is an elite level athlete, mix that with Dohtson and Parker we should hopefully breakthrough that ceiling.

Who throws them the ball? In each of those teams you reference, they have wonderful, 1st round talent at QB(yes, to include Mac Jones). Get a great 5 star QB, the receivers will follow.

How much do you think Lonnie will actually play with the group in tact and coming in next year? If he doesn’t go the baseball route.

QB is important but the reality is Stud WR's get you to the promise land. I here that Lonnie White form Malvern is an elite level athlete, mix that with Dohtson and Parker we should hopefully breakthrough that ceiling.
In a spread offense, yes elite QB/WR are at a premium.

Actually it’s a hybrid version of “Animal Farm”. Some of the animals are more equal than others, but if all the animals don’t perform adequately things really begin to smell like a barnyard.

Certainly agree that a good combo of the deep threat and the reliable WR that moves the chains is very important and forces the defense to defend more space opening much more up for the offense. But I also think the line play on both O and D absolutely sets the tone. D line dominating leads no time for the receivers to get open. Inaccurate QB leads to wasted WR talent. It's all very dependent but the tone is set at the line of scrimmage in my view.

How much do you think Lonnie will actually play with the group in tact and coming in next year? If he doesn’t go the baseball route.

Hard to say. Dotson and Washington are set. Smith-Lambert seemed to improve as the season went along. But I don’t think anyone behind them stood out to me. If I recall correctly, White is bigger and longer than those 3 do he may have a chance.

I dunno. We've legit had better receivers than OSU on more than one occasion on the recent past, and we've won one conf title in that time

O line and D line are the foundation, but you can’t be elite without a QB
An example is Wisconsin. Has had more lineman drafted than any team the past few years but no playoff appearances. Plus very good RBs. You need a top flight passing game

TJ Jones looks the part physically, haven’t seen enough of him to know why he can’t produce.

Daniel George too physically, but his window has shut. Surprised he and CSB are still on team tbh.

Reactions: BBrown
TJ Jones looks the part physically, haven’t seen enough of him to know why he can’t produce.

Daniel George too physically, but his window has shut. Surprised he and CSB are still on team tbh.

+1. Jones got on the field early in our first few games but I don't think he played too much after the 3rd game or so.
He's got the size so hopefully the light will turn on. I also want to see what Meiga can bring.
I'm in the camp, and may have actually started it, to move George to Safety. He definitely has the size.
Its going to be really interesting to see what evolves with with passing game and Mike Y. He definitely has the street cred with getting some QB's and WR's outrageous numbers.

Certainly agree that a good combo of the deep threat and the reliable WR that moves the chains is very important and forces the defense to defend more space opening much more up for the offense. But I also think the line play on both O and D absolutely sets the tone. D line dominating leads no time for the receivers to get open. Inaccurate QB leads to wasted WR talent. It's all very dependent but the tone is set at the line of scrimmage in my view.
Yeppers to that one! See Ohio State the last ten years. Their QBs looked good but none succeeded in the NFL. And how many QBs win the Heisman but flop later? There are pro QBs that looked great when they had excellent O lines ......see Troy Aikman. There are lots of kids that can throw the ball well when they have time.

And receivers need time to run the routes. There are some that make the contested catch and they are great to have. Certainly helps balance out an offense.

All teams need a good QBs, good receivers, but it all starts with time to let the play run. And a good line means a good running attack which forces the d to play straight up.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Yeppers to that one! See Ohio State the last ten years. Their QBs looked good but none succeeded in the NFL. And how many QBs win the Heisman but flop later? There are pro QBs that looked great when they had excellent O lines ......see Troy Aikman. There are lots of kids that can throw the ball well when they have time.

And receivers need time to run the routes. There are some that make the contested catch and they are great to have. Certainly helps balance out an offense.

All teams need a good QBs, good receivers, but it all starts with time to let the play run. And a good line means a good running attack which forces the d to play straight up.
One of the things that helps Ohio St in the Big 10 but hurts them if they make the playoff is what their Oline is allowed to get away with in conference. They almost never get holding calls in conference. Ohio State called for holding in a Big Ten game for the second time since 2013 - SBNation.com This helps them dominate the conference and then get blown out in the playoffs when they can't get away with the same stuff. To a certain extent the same thing occurs at Michigan.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Maybe just me but the OSU offense I saw running ball with Sermon was completely different with Master Teague. The guy is big, lumbering but not elusive at all. Not a great RB IMHO. Sermon went down then they could not run and became easier to control. Game quickly got out of hand when Bama kept getting ball back.

ADVERTISEMENT