ADVERTISEMENT

I put money on Purdue to win the game tomorrow night

Jerry

May 29, 2001
It's reverse psychology. I actually don't want them to beat Michigan for the simple reason that nothing good happens for Penn State if they pull off the upset.

But just in case, I put $50 on them to win outright...which will return $375 if it were to happen.

The thing is, I do think Purdue has a real chance. Michigan is going to the Dance regardless, so there's less emotional energy on their side of the ball, especially coming off the big win in Columbus. Plus no Blake Corum.

Meanwhile, when Purdue's veteran QB is "on," he's a handful for any D to deal with.

It's only $50 after all, and if I lose, we go to the Rose Bowl. That's a nice consolation prize....easily worth $50.

If I win on the other hand, not only do I receive a huge return on my investment but also get treated to Lando attempting to continue his lame blather about how Purdue is still not a "good" team and our win against them not a "good" win.

It's reverse psychology. I actually don't want them to beat Michigan for the simple reason that nothing good happens for Penn State if they pull off the upset.

But just in case, I put $50 on them to win outright...which will return $375 if it were to happen.

The thing is, I do think Purdue has a real chance. Michigan is going to the Dance regardless, so there's less emotional energy on their side of the ball, especially coming off the big win in Columbus. Plus no Blake Corum.

Meanwhile, when Purdue's veteran QB is "on," he's a handful for any D to deal with.

It's only $50 after all, and if I lose, we go to the Rose Bowl. That's a nice consolation prize....easily worth $50.

If I win on the other hand, not only do I receive a huge return on my investment but also get treated to Lando attempting to continue his lame blather about how Purdue is still not a "good" team and our win against them not a "good" win.
What makes you think that a loss to Purdue wouldn't knock them out of the playoff?

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
If Purdue beats Michigan great for them
We all know it likely isn't happening and I don't believe for a second you're foolish enough to bet on them but at least you, unlike others, comprehend Michigan is in the playoff regardless.

Reactions: bdgan
If Purdue beats Michigan great for them
We all know it likely isn't happening and I don't believe for a second you're foolish enough to bet on them but at least you, unlike others, comprehend Michigan is in the playoff regardless.
Be honest: Is there a single person on Earth who puts up with you because they actually want to, and not because they are a captive audience on a public chat forum?

Reactions: psurichc and Gitzit
A Purdue loss is a BAD loss, especially since this is now a very different Michigan team with 1/3 of its offense on the shelf. Setting aside the head-to-head match up, Ohio State has a strong argument.
Lots of splainin to do on that one.....we beat you by 22 points on your field a week ago and get to play a championship game. Oh we lost that championship game to a top 30-35 team now they are not going to let you go to the playoff and take the team who you boatraced because they are so good they had to sit home instead of playing in the championship game. Please think about how idiotic that logic is. Eff injuries or whatever other horse crap excuse there is. No way it would ever come remotely close to making any sense.

Who would go instead of them? Bama, No. O$U, hell no. LSU if they beat UGA, nope not with 3 losses.
Ohio State as the other 1 loss contender. Corum is not going to be effective IF he evens gets back on the field, so the committee owes Michigan absolutely nothing if they can't handle a West Division opponent, especially Purdue, at this point in the season.

I did not once say that Purdue will actually win, but it should be disastrous from Michigan if it happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Ohio State as the other 1 loss contender. Corum is not going to be effective IF he evens gets back on the field, so the committee owes Michigan absolutely nothing if they can't handle a West Division opponent, especially Purdue, at this point in the season.

I did not once say that Purdue will actually win, but it should be disastrous from Michigan if it happens.
They beat freaking O$U without Corum. scUMhas to go in before OhowIhate. My God do we need a 12 team playoff.

At least you're only going to lose $50

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry
A Purdue loss is a BAD loss, especially since this is now a very different Michigan team with 1/3 of its offense on the shelf. Setting aside the head-to-head match up, Ohio State has a strong argument.
Michigan is in regardless. Same as Georgia

Reactions: NedFromYork

It won't be even if you think it should be there's no chance of Michigan falling out. If USC wins tonight add them. If Utah wins add Ohio State.

Who would go instead of them? Bama, No. O$U, hell no. LSU if they beat UGA, nope not with 3 losses.
Seriously? Michigan loses to Purdue and OSU’s only loss is to Michigan and you think OSU doesn’t leap frog Michigan? Well, all righty then.

• Haha
Seriously? Michigan loses to Purdue and OSU’s only loss is to Michigan and you think OSU doesn’t leap frog Michigan? Well, all righty then.
Head to head has to mean something. Plus the only reason scUM had to play the game is because they beat O$U.

Michigan is in regardless. Same as Georgia
Perhaps. But only if both Michigan and OSU get in. Irrespective of the Michigan/OSU score, if you think the committee would rank Michigan ahead of OSU if Michigan loses to Purdue, you are the one who needs a reality check.

• Haha
Head to head has to mean something. Plus the only reason scUM had to play the game is because they beat O$U.
It does. But think about it. Who do you think the committee will rank higher if a 1 loss OSU’s loss is to Michigan but Michigan’s 1 loss is to Purdue.

Perhaps. But only if both Michigan and OSU get in. Irrespective of the Michigan/OSU score, if you think the committee would rank Michigan ahead of OSU if Michigan loses to Purdue, you are the one who needs a reality check.
Again, Michigan is a lock regardless of what happens against Purdue
If LSU, Purdue, TCU and USC win Michigan is still in over Ohio State

It does. But think about it. Who do you think the committee will rank higher if a 1 loss OSU’s loss is to Michigan but Michigan’s 1 loss is to Purdue.
It's not just about the loss
Michigan has two top 10 wins
Ohio State has one top 10 win
The loss won't even come into play because they aren't comparable.

Just does not nake sense and why conference championship games should all be eliminated with the 12 team playoff. I despise scUM but that would be a major shaft to them.

Apparently a lot of people still don't get this: Michigan has punched their ticket. They'd have to lose by 5 touchdowns for there even to be any discussion of the matter.

Same thing for Georgia...and probably TCU. There's only one spot left, and that will be decided tonight, one way or the other, when USC plays Utah.

No, no, no. You don't get it. See my explanation in the OP.

I mean, if I weren't independently wealthy, I wouldn't take one for the team like this.

But as it is, I light my cigars with $50-dollar bills... ;)
Rational thinking there (had not read your OP before).
Props to you on your cigar lighter - maybe someday you'll do it with C notes like me.
:)

No way does OSU go ahead of Michigan

Reactions: indynittany
I think Alabama is in if TCU loses. Ohio State in with USC loss, Alabama in with TCU loss. Georgia and Michigan already in.

It's not just head to head. UM would be 12-1. OSU would be 11-1. So, head to head and a better record keeps UM over OSU.

Penn State in Rose now, in Cotton if Purdue wins.

Ned, in order for Penn State NOT to make an NY6 bowl, both Purdue and LSU would have to win their games today, which would be like lightning striking twice. In that event, we get bounced to the Citrus.

I wouldn't be too worried as a Michigan fan. The team has balance, ferocious defensive line and one of the best O-lines in football. Purdue will be overwhelmed up front as PSU and to a lesser extent tOSU were. It would take a pile of Michigan mental mistakes on D, 4 or 5 turnovers and Purdue playing out their minds. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

If you have some money 💰 to bet for shitz and gigglez and not really care about the outcome, try fan duel 🤺. You can bet on an individual player’s performance for a game (i.e. Barkley will rush over/under 90 yards).

Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT