ADVERTISEMENT

I Love You, I Hate You, Here's to Another Great Season

TheInsideTrip

Jan 15, 2018
Hola from enemy territory PSU faithful! I come in peace, please don't shoot (or for that matter, inside trip me to my back, elevator me to my back, power half me to my death, etc. etc. etc.).

For those of you that may tune into our podcast from time to time know we are huge Buckeye fans but love talking about Penn State. Hate their winning ways but love their wrestling. Just wanted to drop a quick note saying cheers to another excellent season of college wrestling and barring a massive choke (of historical significance), yet another Penn State title. I may have just vomited in my mouth a little, excuse my while I brush my teeth...................

..........okay I'm back.

In all seriousness, PSU is very intriguing to follow this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out.

1. What happens at 125? Does it even matter (my opinion is no).

2. Teasdale...hopefully this man gets things under control but will we really see back in the PSU room 2nd semester?

3. Who fills in the massive shoes of Zain? Can Berge hold the weight?

4. I plan on enjoying as much as Jason Nolf as I can. One of my all-time favorites and hope that others really stop and appreciate the style he brings and the career he is wrapping up.

5. For a 2x champ, Cenzo just doesn't seem to get the full respect of people. Will he take the next step towards being a 4-timer or will someone unseat him. I'd personally love to see a finals between him and Marstellar.

6. Can Mark Hall solve the Zahid Valencia puzzle?

7. In regards to Bo Nickal, see #4. As much as this guy has caused Buckeye fans pain, damn do I love watching him wrestle. Looking forward to how he handles being up at 197 and what a match between him and Moore will look like. SIDE NOTE: I think I am just now finally getting over the pain and anguish of the following that about pushed me to the verge of walking into oncoming traffic in Cleveland last year....
(http://www.bloodround.com/blog/2018/8/18/bo-nickal-crusher-of-dreams):

"Sitting next to my friend Brandon (big Ohio State fan, and co host of The Inside Trip Podcast), and watching the inevitable championship slip through their grasp, and watching the color drain from his face, was really hard to watch. I couldn't even really enjoy what was a pretty iconic moment because I felt bad for what I had just seen. It's like if your friend tells you about their pet that died, and you feel bad, but you didn't really like that pet anyway."

8. Nevills/Cassar: This is going to get interesting and my gut tells me it's still unresolved even though Cassar looks really impressive so far. Who ends up at the spot? Will they meet again at the Scuffle? If Nevills is the odd man out, does it impact his brother's decision to stay with PSU?

So much good stuff to follow for us die hard wrestling fans.

As a final thought, I love the rivalry that has developed between PSU and Ohio State. I use the term rivalry loosely because PSU has done most of the winning but the fact that Ohio State has captured 1 national championship and a couple of B1G titles during this amazing run by PSU makes it a bit of a rivalry. Not too mention the individual stories and rivalries (Bo/MyMar, Hall/BoJo). The team race all year last year was one of the most fun college seasons to follow in my humble opinion. I think what PSU has done has really forced the Buckeyes to up their game on the mat and in recruiting. I love it.

Good luck this year fans and here is to hoping for an injury free, competitive season!

-Brando

Last edited:
Back at ya, Brandon. Hope you guys crush the title for 2nd place again this year. ;) Sincerely, I have huge respect for your team. Your wrestlers seem classy on and off the mat. And your fans seem as classy and normal as PSU fans (excluding the outliers on both sides). And thx for letting me relive your buddy’s great article on bloodround.com. I laughed as hard about the pet dying line this time as I did a few months ago! Best wishes on a great season.

You guys create a great product (podcast) and begrudgingly, so does Mr. Ryan (Wrestling—especially from Neutral ;))

The history of this rivalry is just getting started if you ask me.

Reactions: dwkeller
"Sitting next to my friend Brandon (big Ohio State fan, and co host of The Inside Trip Podcast), and watching the inevitable championship slip through their grasp, and watching the color drain from his face, was really hard to watch. I couldn't even really enjoy what was a pretty iconic moment because I felt bad for what I had just seen."

Good luck this year fans and here is to hoping for an injury free, competitive season!

-Brando
I was taken by the way you described the emotion of the Nickal/Martin match. Pretty much spot on. Not an emotion PSU fans have felt in quite a while, at least not at nationals. The collective gasp when Jason was injured is as close as I can recall.

I was taken by the way you described the emotion of the Nickal/Martin match. Pretty much spot on. Not an emotion PSU fans have felt in quite a while, at least not at nationals. The collective gasp when Jason was injured is as close as I can recall.
DT getting stuck by Bubba was certainly a gut punch. Not on the level of the whole Enchilada, but still pretty rough

That said, you’re right they it would be hard to touch the emotional impact of those 13 seconds from when MM grabbed Bo’s leg to when the ref slapped the mat

Love listening to you guys!! Keep up the good work!
I just tried to listen for the first time. I had to pause within the 80’s-synthesizer intro song, and shiver. After I re-build up strength and determination, I will try again to get past that hot gate of an intro song and hear the podcast. :)

Kung%2BFu's%2BChallenge.jpg

Last edited:
I just tried to listen for the first time. I had to pause within the 80’s-synthesizer intro song, and shiver. After I re-build up strength and determination, I will try again to get past that hot gate of an intro song and hear the podcast. :)

Kung%2BFu's%2BChallenge.jpg
Noooo!!! Better than the Bloodround song which I said sounds like when David Silver first “rapped” at the Peach Pit in 90210

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Hola from enemy territory PSU faithful! I come in peace, please don't shoot (or for that matter, inside trip me to my back, elevator me to my back, power half me to my death, etc. etc. etc.).

For those of you that may tune into our podcast from time to time know we are huge Buckeye fans but love talking about Penn State. Hate their winning ways but love their wrestling. Just wanted to drop a quick note saying cheers to another excellent season of college wrestling and barring a massive choke (of historical significance), yet another Penn State title. I may have just vomited in my mouth a little, excuse my while I brush my teeth...................

..........okay I'm back.

In all seriousness, PSU is very intriguing to follow this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out.

2. Teasdale...hopefully this man gets things under control but will we really see back in the PSU room 2nd semester?

4. I plan on enjoying as much as Jason Nolf as I can. One of my all-time favorites and hope that others really stop and appreciate the style he brings and the career he is wrapping up.

5. For a 2x champ, Cenzo just doesn't seem to get the full respect of people. Will he take the next step towards being a 4-timer or will someone unseat him. I'd personally love to see a finals between him and Marstellar.

7. In regards to Bo Nickal, see #4. As much as this guy has caused Buckeye fans pain, damn do I love watching him wrestle. Looking forward to how he handles being up at 197 and what a match between him and Moore will look like. SIDE NOTE: I think I am just now finally getting over the pain and anguish of the following that about pushed me to the verge of walking into oncoming traffic in Cleveland last year....

"Sitting next to my friend Brandon (big Ohio State fan, and co host of The Inside Trip Podcast), and watching the inevitable championship slip through their grasp, and watching the color drain from his face, was really hard to watch. I couldn't even really enjoy what was a pretty iconic moment because I felt bad for what I had just seen. It's like if your friend tells you about their pet that died, and you feel bad, but you didn't really like that pet anyway."

8. Nevills/Cassar: This is going to get interesting and my gut tells me it's still unresolved even though Cassar looks really impressive so far. Who ends up at the spot? Will they meet again at the Scuffle? If Nevills is the odd man out, does it impact his brother's decision to stay with PSU?

As a final thought, I love the rivalry that has developed between PSU and Ohio State. I use the term rivalry loosely because PSU has done most of the winning but the fact that Ohio State has captured 1 national championship and a couple of B1G titles during this amazing run by PSU makes it a bit of a rivalry. Not too mention the individual stories and rivalries (Bo/MyMar, Hall/BoJo). The team race all year last year was one of the most fun college seasons to follow in my humble opinion. I think what PSU has done has really forced the Buckeyes to up their game on the mat and in recruiting. I love it.

-Brando
Great podcast. My favorite now. Really love the humor guys. You do a great job covering all bases, even though you are $OSU homers. Dogwelder, the intro music kind of becomes part of the “thing”. Really loved last weeks episode, which I think was Show 69. Keep up the good work and maybe see you both in Pittsburgh in March

Fun fact: PSU, $OSU, and Rutgres have combined to win the last 8 NCAA wrestling championships. Dominance

Last edited:
Not to revel in an Ohio State wrestling fans pain at Bo Nickal flipping the cards on MyMar and showing him the Cleveland lights... but can you explain more succinctly, what the actual look... looked like as the blood drained from your fellow podcast members face. For some reason... I didn't get the visual. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Okay. If it’s intentionally white and nerdy, a la Weird Al, then maybe I’ll get used to it. :)
Of course it's white and nerdy. Recent picture of Brandon and Ben from their FB page. White, but with a bit of $OSU Tan to get rid of the pasty. They also must be wearing their tanning goggles, as I can't see their eyes. And I thought those were wine glasses, but they are Second Place NCAA trophies. Actually, the guys are talented. Not certain which one of them wrote the song and music and sings with the synth on it. But great show. After TRow and Funky dissolved, these guys took my weekly top spot for podcasts
26239543_2020965991253835_6377458199643318206_n.jpg

..........okay I'm back.

-Brando
This is weird? no snark? no cheating accusations? Is our coaches name Carl? Where's the slush fund? Uh oh...apologies, I have you confused with that "other" team.

Appreciate all the kind words fellas. If you ever have any feed back or things you would like us to talk about or comment on a podcast feel free to drop us a note on Twitter (@theinsidetrip1) or Facebook (The Inside Trip) or email (theinsidetrip1@gmail.com).

Yep, we are Buckeye fans (not too sure I'd call us homers as we do keep it relatively real) but everyone has to have a favorite team to root for right?

@jtothemfp - I can't believe they let you in anywhere! And don't act like you didn't have a blast with us at B1G's and NCAA's last year my man. :D

In regards to the Bo Nickal/MyMar moment in Cleveland....that was my buddy from the Bloodround podcast, Kevin Claunch, describing my reaction in his blog as I watched MyMar go from taking Bo to his back, to being put on his back by Bo. I like to equate it to a scene from one of the Final Destination movies from a long time ago. It was the scene where the guy and girl just finish up brunch at a cafe and are standing on the sidewalk outside telling each other goodbye....a little hug, a little kiss. The look on the guys face was pure bliss. Then his girlfriend takes 2 steps back into the street right as a bus violently runs her over. The guys face goes pale white with the look of absolute horror on it. That was me as I watched Bo elevator MyMar and crush my hopes and dreams. At least we still have that moment their freshman seasons when MyMar was able to come out on top.

@Dogwelder - In regards to the music of our podcast, just like us, it's what I would call an acquired taste. It's meant to fun, nerdy, and representative of the average joe, die hard wrestling fans who love to crack a beer (or pour a nice glass of 7.99-a-bottle wine) and talk about the greatest sport on earth. Don't get me wrong, we take it seriously and spend hours upon hours watching matches and scouring over stats but we keep it loose as well. Also, in that lego photo it's definitely wine glasses. We're classy dawg! ;)

@CentexLion - The story of the intro music is too long to type here but the intro version we use today has the same cheesy 80’s-synthesizer song we used in the beginning but Ben's brother actually took it and wrote some lyrics for it, sang the words, and cut it all together for us as a Christmas present last year. We like it.

@GOLDBANGER - nah, none of that stuff from us, at least not seriously. We may take a jab here and there but all in good fun. As I said, we enjoy PSU wrestling. How can you not. It's like when Iowa was so dominant before. Loved to hate them but also loved to watch their style.

Finally, just a little tidbit for those that didn't notice, our Podcast avatar is actually Mark Hall hitting the inside trip on Logan Massa during the Junior WTT trials courtesy of a photo by Tony Rotundo.

Good post!! I too am eager for Nolf Nickal, and I totally agree on VJ. He could be 4xer but isn't given the same "automatic respect" as guys with less stellar resumes.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'll give it a try. It HAS to be better than the 247 PSU one which is...not very good.

ADVERTISEMENT