ADVERTISEMENT

I like Franklin but....

NCLION

May 29, 2001
it has become obvious his weakness is the Xs and Os
Two games in a row a better game day coach schooled PSU

We tried to redo Traces game against OSU and it was obvious Sparta had it scouted and once again we show no ability to adjust at halftime.
We also need to go young at WR rest of year. Vets aren’t getting it done

Our delay blitz soft coverage scheme is now on film for everyone to figure out how to beat
Yet we show no wrinkles defensively either

The non burning of play clock and Traces inexcusable running out of bounds are not things teams do
I have been at NFL games and audibly heard coaches yelling at players before each play to stay on bounds.

I also think Franklin needs to recruit a few higher football IQ types along with our athletes
We have a few guys who don’t play to the physical tools they have

In defense of Franklin he did fire an OC and go get Moorehead.
He needs to go out and get an NFL level assistant head coach to teach him the finer points of game management and quality control.

If he wants to be elite and I think he trueLy does he is going to need to upgrade his staff

In my opinion, yesterday all came down to execution. Our kids time and time again slipping and falling....is it the cleats?? hell, I don't know...but they did not execute. 3 dropped INT's in the end zone. The coaches are supposed to put kids in a position to win. They were in that position and came up short.

In my opinion, yesterday all came down to execution. Our kids time and time again slipping and falling....is it the cleats?? hell, I don't know...but they did not execute. 3 dropped INT's in the end zone. The coaches are supposed to put kids in a position to win. They were in that position and came up short.
But why are kids and coaches coming up small when the game is on the line? It’s an absolute inexcusable trend. I’m very disappointed with CJF. He’s done great things here, nobody could deny that, this program was dead. However, when a team grasp defeat from the jaws of victory, and loses the same manner in every loss that’s on him. I’m also not sure some of his new hires and coaching moves were great ones.

I agree on execution. After a great practice week, I was hoping for more. I was definitely disappointed that we did not throw the ball more effectively. I also don't think it was the X's and O's against OSU. In fact, I think it was the other way around. We were well prepared, but just ran out of gas. This game however, I felt we got out executed and the offense had a very hard time getting in a rhythm a lot of the game. Was it heart? Was it coaching? Was it execution? Was it a combination? I kind of miss a few years ago when we had those great 2nd half comebacks instead of giving it up at the end.

Reactions: BBrown
I saw Greg Schiano and Larry Johnson on the Ohio State sideline. Those Penn State pedigrees are pretty good.

Are we elite yet?

Reactions: m.knox
Seen Franklin talk many times about the necessity of keeping up the programs momentum and how hard it can be to get back once you lose it. I think they lost it yesterday.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and BBrown
Trace made several mental errors, the fumble, missing wide open receivers and going out of bounds.
On that play I think he was trying desperately to get the first down and ran to the sideline instead of making the smart play and cut it back inside.

I saw Greg Schiano and Larry Johnson on the Ohio State sideline. Those Penn State pedigrees are pretty good.

Are we elite yet?
Actually, the OSU defense is kind of a mess right now - well, for them anyways. The key, however, is how a team progresses throughout the year and something tells me Schiano and Johnson will have them playing a lot better in the next few weeks

The same holds true for PSU. Wait and see how the team progresses throughout the year. 10-2 or 9-3 is not all that bad. I think the Michigan-PSU game is the really critical game this year for your team. Win it and it could turn your season around. Lose it and...……..

But why are kids and coaches coming up small when the game is on the line? It’s an absolute inexcusable trend. I’m very disappointed with CJF. He’s done great things here, nobody could deny that, this program was dead. However, when a team grasp defeat from the jaws of victory, and loses the same manner in every loss that’s on him. I’m also not sure some of his new hires and coaching moves were great ones.
It’s called “PennStating.” All over the other boards.

Reactions: Pittston-Lion
Small example, but proves the point about X&O weakness. Few seconds left in first half, Penn State forces Michigan State to punt, why in the world do you put an always shaky Thompkins back to carch a punt that he could possibly mishandle. They were going to take a knee, who cares if MSU would down it inside the 5 yard line. Why even take the chance of a fumble? Not smart coaching at all.

it has become obvious his weakness is the Xs and Os
Two games in a row a better game day coach schooled PSU

We tried to redo Traces game against OSU and it was obvious Sparta had it scouted and once again we show no ability to adjust at halftime.
We also need to go young at WR rest of year. Vets aren’t getting it done

Our delay blitz soft coverage scheme is now on film for everyone to figure out how to beat
Yet we show no wrinkles defensively either

The non burning of play clock and Traces inexcusable running out of bounds are not things teams do
I have been at NFL games and audibly heard coaches yelling at players before each play to stay on bounds.

I also think Franklin needs to recruit a few higher football IQ types along with our athletes
We have a few guys who don’t play to the physical tools they have

In defense of Franklin he did fire an OC and go get Moorehead.
He needs to go out and get an NFL level assistant head coach to teach him the finer points of game management and quality control.

If he wants to be elite and I think he trueLy does he is going to need to upgrade his staff
He has been getting worked by Urban,Jim and Mark that is for sure.

Sanders does not slip at 3 and scores TD..well there is game possibly. Blaming coaches? As you said it was execution. How blind are people? We made so many dumb plays that it was all but a matter of time before MSU just marched down field as won it. Why were players so unfocused mentally? That is for JF to figure out. Perhaps he was really overly hard last two weeks that they became tight and lost confidence. Sure looked that way, particuraly unflappable TS. That is scary part.

Reactions: psuno1
Here's my two cents on the coaching. Penn State was blessed with one of the best if not the best X's & O's head coach in Joe Paterno for three decades. The man stressed the fundamentals of football like no other. During the early 90's I went to a RU vs. PSU game and I remember saying to my wife (at the time) this team plays near perfect football and executes on every play. I fully realize that there was a talent gap, but still every route, every tackle and even the dam huddles looked scripted. You are NOT going to get that from Coach Franklin, it's not one of his strengths. I do believe that Coach Franklin will eventually out recruit every team in the B10. I do believe that loading a team with elite ball players will get you into a NC game. Yesterday I counted 5 dropped balls from your CB's, next year 4 of those will be interceptions. The fanbase just needs to be a little patient. Trust me with every season Coach Franklin is getting a little closer.

Here's my two cents on the coaching. Penn State was blessed with one of the best if not the best X's & O's head coach in Joe Paterno for three decades. The man stressed the fundamentals of football like no other. During the early 90's I went to a RU vs. PSU game and I remember saying to my wife (at the time) this team plays near perfect football and executes on every play. I fully realize that there was a talent gap, but still every route, every tackle and even the dam huddles looked scripted. You are NOT going to get that from Coach Franklin, it's not one of his strengths. I do believe that Coach Franklin will eventually out recruit every team in the B10. I do believe that loading a team with elite ball players will get you into a NC game. Yesterday I counted 5 dropped balls from your CB's, next year 4 of those will be interceptions. The fanbase just needs to be a little patient. Trust me with every season Coach Franklin is getting a little closer.
Fortunately Joe didn't have recruits playing the hat shell game and all that prima donna stuff. I think there are more players today that fit that mold than in the JVP era.

Fortunately Joe didn't have recruits playing the hat shell game and all that prima donna stuff. I think there are more players today that fit that mold than in the JVP era.

Joe also put is best athletes on defense and he preached attention to detail in that it was no secret that his teams were the least penalized in the country because they knew how to do things the right way and practiced it. Joe was going to lose because they made stupid mistakes he was make sure if they got beat because the other team just executed better then his lions.

Small example, but proves the point about X&O weakness. Few seconds left in first half, Penn State forces Michigan State to punt, why in the world do you put an always shaky Thompkins back to carch a punt that he could possibly mishandle. They were going to take a knee, who cares if MSU would down it inside the 5 yard line. Why even take the chance of a fumble? Not smart coaching at all.

Great point. I was thinking the same watching the game. Why take that risk.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I don't know if Joe put the best athletes on defense, but I do know that our guys today are highly, highly rated athletes when they were recruited. Some of them, though, don't seem to have the natural instincts of football players. I wonder if we're too busy recruiting athletes and not busy enough recruiting football players.

Some of our best football players in the past were not highly rated "athletes", and that includes some of our best defensive guys, like Poz. Maybe our staff needs to change their evaluation process a bit. Whatever they are doing, is not fully working.

Reactions: RU31trap
I don't know if Joe put the best athletes on defense, but I do know that our guys today are highly, highly rated athletes when they were recruited. Some of them, though, don't seem to have the natural instincts of football players. I wonder if we're too busy recruiting athletes and not busy enough recruiting football players.

Some of our best football players in the past were not highly rated "athletes", and that includes some of our best defensive guys, like Poz. Maybe our staff needs to change their evaluation process a bit. Whatever they are doing, is not fully working.

Well Poz, Conner and Lee were all high school running backs as well this might have been a pretty good factor in there ability and toughness. I think Franklin is trying to be faster team instead of a tougher more physical team.

Well Poz, Conner and Lee were all high school running backs as well this might have been a pretty good factor in there ability and toughness. I think Franklin is trying to be faster team instead of a tougher more physical team.

Please make it stop. Johnson, Parsons, Mustipher are all wrestling stars. Nobody tougher than them. All our guys are tough enough

GREAT observation, was thinking the same thing at the time and again watching the BTN 60 minute review today. Absolutely nothing to gain, everything to lose.

It’s the “little things” like this (and snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock late in the 4th quarter) that often make the difference.

We were what Iowa is now...coaching up potential. That's fun but I'll take what we have now. Not sure we have the assistants coaching to get the job done.

The Michigan State defensive line was solid. At times on passing plays they played independent of LB help which means Trace was looking his receivers in double coverage and LB's sitting in passing lanes. In the past this dilemma was usually met with a FB leading his RB on a screen play, not a home run play but enough to force both OLB's to play closer to the box. Without a lead blocker the Michigan St. DT's were able to shed their blocks and plug the gaps stopping Sanders easily, sometimes behind the line of scrimmage. A successful power spread must be able to stretch an opposing defense, if you can't it becomes a major liability. Yes, Trace did not have his best game for multiple reasons one big reason was that MSU front 4. Trust me Coach Franklin is smart and he will study the film and make the necessary adjustments.

Last edited:
The Michigan State defensive line was solid. At times on passing plays they played independent of LB help which means Trace was looking his receivers in double coverage and LB's sitting in passing lanes. In the past this dilemma was usually met with a FB leading his RB on a screen play, not a home run play but enough to force both OLB's to play closer to the box. Without a lead blocker the Michigan St. DT's were able to shed their blocks and plug the gaps stopping Sanders easily, sometimes behind the line of scrimmage. A successful power spread must be able to stretch an opposing defense, if you can't it becomes a major liability. Yes, Trace did not have his best game for multiple reasons one big reason was that MSU front 4. Trust me Coach Franklin is smart and he will study the film and make the necessary adjustments.
This is the answer. Our interior lines are not as good as most of our opponents. Where we are even, our skills players usually take over. The Michigan State D Line looked tough, aggressive, big and in charge. Our D Line gets pushed and turned. Our LBs have no idea how to cover, so it is a soft-zone with a good passing pocket for the bad guys. All that being said, we still held Michigan State and Ohio State to point totals that any offensive coordinator would have been happy to take before the game started.

Reactions: RU31trap
This is the answer. Our interior lines are not as good as most of our opponents. Where we are even, our skills players usually take over. The Michigan State D Line looked tough, aggressive, big and in charge. Our D Line gets pushed and turned. Our LBs have no idea how to cover, so it is a soft-zone with a good passing pocket for the bad guys. All that being said, we still held Michigan State and Ohio State to point totals that any offensive coordinator would have been happy to take before the game started.

Northwestern held Michigan state to 19 points in spartan stadium the week prior.

Reactions: mhep32
Actually, the OSU defense is kind of a mess right now - well, for them anyways. The key, however, is how a team progresses throughout the year and something tells me Schiano and Johnson will have them playing a lot better in the next few weeks

The same holds true for PSU. Wait and see how the team progresses throughout the year. 10-2 or 9-3 is not all that bad. I think the Michigan-PSU game is the really critical game this year for your team. Win it and it could turn your season around. Lose it and...……..

^^^ This. Michigan is THE GAME. It's worth losing another 2 just to win that one.

^^^ This. Michigan is THE GAME. It's worth losing another 2 just to win that one.

We are in a pretty sad state if 8-4 and 4th or 5th in the division is good as long as one of those wins is a good but not great michigan team.

So, "I like Franklin but …" . You like Franklin as long as he is Winning. What about players, do you like them when they lose? After watching App. State, it was clear that this team is not going to go very far. Too many young players while veterans are in a funk. Coach has to keep the team together and keep "loving the players and keep coaching" till they start playing to their potential.

It’s the Jimmy’s and Joe’s not always the X’s and O’s. The best game plan is useless if you do not execute. They haven’t in crunch time over the last two games. Signs of a young inexperienced team.... they will soon.

He has been getting worked by Urban,Jim and Mark that is for sure.
I disagree....as was mentioned earlier the coaches had the players in position to win Saturday and they missed on several key plays...dropped INT'S, Trace playing the worst game of his career are things we could not overcome.

....but to say Jim, Urban and Mark own CJF is just BS, IMO. Have we come up short on the scoreboard, yes...but that will change!

PSU beat tOSU in 2016 and outplayed them the last 2 years and just came up a bit short when everyone knows tOSU has the better players at this point in time...at least PSU is closing the gap quickly with athletes and will be even with tOSU in talent in a year or 2.

Michigan and PSU have traded blowouts the last 2 years and we'll see how it goes going forward, but I don't see Michigan winning a majority of the games as they are taking some hits in recruiting and their fan base is getting nervous that Jimbo isn't getting it done. The next few weeks will be big for them as they try and get out of 3rd place in their own division. Remember Michigan hasn't won a BIG title in forever. PSU has a couple in the same span even though we've had to deal with the most unfair sanctions in NCAA history.

MSU has been known to pull upsets every year...unfortunately last year we had to deal with the most unusual circumstances with the 3-4 hour rain delay and obviously wasn't something anyone had seen before and being on the road was a HUGE disadvantage here.

Bottom line PSU is a few plays away from being undefeated over a 3 yr stretch and I am happy with at least being in the conversation and competitive. PSU has not lost by more than a score since Michigan in 2016....how many programs in the country can say that.....I think 0...maybe Alabama but no one else.

On that i agree. Don't get near the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT