ADVERTISEMENT

I know this is all simple entertainment

That's easy. ACC.

Penn Staters are from Philly, NY/NJ and Virginia... and somewhat Pittsburgh. (after graduation and before)

How we ended up in a conference with crap cities like Detroit and Columbus is beyond me.

LdN
Being a PSU alum and a Pittsburgher, I have nothing against Columbus and Detroit. Columbus is a nice city. Detroit has gone through rough times, and is trying to come back. Pittsburgh went through similar rough times after the demise of the steel industry so I can relate.

Being a PSU alum and a Pittsburgher, I have nothing against Columbus and Detroit. Columbus is a nice city. Detroit has gone through rough times, and is trying to come back. Pittsburgh went through similar rough times after the demise of the steel industry so I can relate.

One minor correction: UM is in the city of Ann Arbor, not Detroit (the two cities are approximately 45 minutes apart).

You call Michigan fan arrogant? Well, here are the facts: Michigan is college football's all-time winningest program, has the largest stadium in college football, and the school has many programs ranked in the top 10 academically. They also regularly finish high in the Director's Cup race. But like any big-time football program (e.g PSU, Bama, USC, ND, Texas, osu, etc.), arrogance go hand in hand with pride. There's nothing wrong with that. You'd be lying if you said PSU fans aren't arrogant too (see Pitt. I don't see their fans constantly attacking PSU program; it's the opposite from my observation).

I stand by what I said: visiting fans are generally treated with respect (save osu and msu fans).

GO BLUE

Last edited:
One minor correction: UM is in the city of Ann Arbor, not Detroit (the two cities are approximately 45 minutes apart).

You call Michigan fan arrogant? Well, here are the facts: Michigan is college football's all-time winningest program, has the largest stadium in college football, and the school has over 100 programs ranked in the top 10 academically. They also regularly finish high in the Director's Cup race. But like any big-time football programs (e.g PSU, Bama, USC, ND, Texas, osu, etc.), arrogance go hand in hand with pride. There's nothing wrong with that. You'd be lying if you said PSU fans aren't arrogant too (see Pitt. I don't see their fans constantly attacking PSU program; it's the opposite from my observation).

I stand by what I said: visiting fans are generally treated with respect (save osu and msu fans).

GO BLUE
OK, stop right there. You really have no idea what you are talking about. "(see Pitt. I don't see their fans constantly attacking PSU program; it's the opposite from my observation)." You have no understanding of the Penn St/Pitt rivalry and Pitt fans feeling toward Penn State. The vitriol displayed by Pitt fans is unlike anything I've seen from any other fan base including yours. I can't think of any other fan base hating any other team the way Pitt fans hate PSU. Even though we no longer play each other it's like they exist just to hate us these days.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan

You call Michigan fan arrogant? Well, here are the facts: Michigan is college football's all-time winningest program, has the largest stadium in college football, and the school has many programs ranked in the top 10 academically. They also regularly finish high in the Director's Cup race. But like any big-time football program (e.g PSU, Bama, USC, ND, Texas, osu, etc.), arrogance go hand in hand with pride. There's nothing wrong with that. You'd be lying if you said PSU fans aren't arrogant too (see Pitt. I don't see their fans constantly attacking PSU program; it's the opposite from my observation).

GO BLUE
I'm aware of where Ann Arbor and Detroit are , genius! I lived in Toledo from '86 - '92, and my office was in Livonia. Every comment you make just shows how clueless you are! Since when are you an expert on Pitt fans? I've lived around them most of my life. They are incredibly jealous of Penn State, and of the loyalty our fans have to our school. Enjoy winning nothing with the arrogant, also clueless Harbaugh! He fits right in in Ann Arbor.

OK, stop right there. You really have no idea what you are talking about. "(see Pitt. I don't see their fans constantly attacking PSU program; it's the opposite from my observation)." You have no understanding of the Penn St/Pitt rivalry and Pitt fans feeling toward Penn State. The vitriol displayed by Pitt fans is unlike anything I've seen from any other fan base including yours. I can't think of any other fan base hating any other team the way Pitt fans hate PSU. Even though we no longer play each other it's like they exist just to hate us these days.
Well said!

Michigan fans are unjustifiably arrogant, but I don’t hate them. I’ve been to Ann Arbor a few times for games and the fans were polite.
I don’t like Harbaufh either, but I hope he stays there. I think he is overrated as a coach and both he and Michigan fans could use some humbling.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I've been to many a game at the Big House, and it's a respectful atmosphere. I've never witnessed bad behavior up there. It's an extremely civilized experience.

That said, the results speak for themselves. Since 1950, Michigan has won half of a national championship. Their all time bowl record is below .500 (21-25). The last 20 years of Michigan football have been significantly less than dominating. I give them kudos for developing a brand and a reputation that is far, far beyond what they deserve as a football program, though. They are masters at public relations.

Now, academically, they are a great institution. But if you're going to pull that out of your hat and wear it, then you also have to admit that academically you are much closer to Penn State, then you are to Northwestern. That's just the plain truth.

The only reason people fear Michigan is because someone tells them to fear Michigan, and they are stupid enough to follow that rule. One thing is clear: OSU doesn't fear Michigan, and neither do we. Neither does "little brother" MSU. And probably, neither do many other schools.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

GO BLUE
THIS POST IS WHY PEOPLE FIND UMers ANNOYING/ARROGANT.

Read it and try to figure out what we’re all trying to tell you.

Reactions: nittany dave
Another reason why Michigan has the most wins ever: they were the 3rd team to start playing college football. Only Rutgers and Northwestern started before them. Now, we were only 3 years behind them, but point is, they were up and running very early. Texas is second, but they started 15 years later! Notre Dame is 3rd, and started 9 years later.

Now, that doesn't take away from Michigan's obvious success, but I would imagine that the head start certainly made a big difference.

GO BLUE
You can "stand by what I said"... but I have been to every BIG stadium except Minnesota, and the only place I have been treated poorly is in Ann Arbor. Only place where I had anyone in my face with insults. And I havent been there for 8 years, so it was pre-Sanducky. And I have been there for PSU wins and losses and non PSU games.

As for the "biggest stadium"? Big House is cool. It is also cramped and inconvenient as hell. It has largest capacity, but sure isnt the biggest. Would I be proud of it if I went to UM? Yes. Is it worth even in the Top 10 of things for Michigan to brag about? nope.

Directors Cup standing are something to be proud of. And despite your arrogance, PSU is right there with Michigan in those standings. And know what? PSU laps the field when it comes to BIG Championships and National Championships since joining in 1993. Noone else even close. But you couldn't find 4 Michigan fans cramped into the 110K of the Big House to acknowledge that PSU has every bit, and more, the athletic program as Michigan. Will you?

Michigan has probably the 2nd best education in BIG. Worth being proud of. Michigan has one of the top athletic programs in the BIG. Worth being proud of. Ann Arbor is a cool city. Worth being proud of. UM football history and tradition is rich. Worth being proud of. None of them.... none of them... justify the arrogance of declaring and acting like "leaders and best" looking down your nose at PSU or anyone else.

All the other stuff is real too - the BIG 2 bias from BIG headquarters, the referines (has anyone noticed that Michigan hasn't won the BIG since the year after instant replay balanced out the 'holy crap - i better not make a bad call against UM panic attacks that the refs used to have?), the fact that after getting some close calls going against them vs OSU of late the UM fans have changed tunes 180 degrees about outside influence on refs, the total disrespect shown PSU when we joined, etc. etc.

But the arrogance of the fan base is #1 thru #10.

Another reason why Michigan has the most wins ever: they were the 3rd team to start playing college football. Only Rutgers and Northwestern started before them. Now, we were only 3 years behind them, but point is, they were up and running very early. Texas is second, but they started 15 years later! Notre Dame is 3rd, and started 9 years later.

Now, that doesn't take away from Michigan's obvious success, but I would imagine that the head start certainly made a big difference.
Didn’t Rutgers play Princeton in the first ever intercollegiate cfb game?

For years, Bo would not schedule PSU. Then you always had your own referee crew who your bought your uniforms from, screw us every year. We like Harbone being there, that pompous a$$ has really made a difference. We don't like Meatchicken

Jeez...is he still here? Just when I was starting to soften up a little on Michigan, one of you "Go Blue" shows up. Thanks for the reminder and the pep talk. I hate Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT