ADVERTISEMENT

I just can't get away

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
from the fact that we were not doubling Felton Davis almost the entire game or rolling coverage to his side of the field. He was the ONE guy you could not let beat you. They always talk about limiting the oppositions biggest strength. He scored one Touchdown literally wide open, nobody within a bus length of him. On the last drive, you know 2 things:
1. You have to keep them out of the endzone minimum
2. They are going to Felton Davis

How is Amani left on an island on that last play? I HATE prevent defense, but how is the defense not in a zone there defending the endzone? You just can't be in man to man there on Felton Davis, can't. There were so many other things to point to all game, but if there was one game plan heading into this game that needed to be tight, it was; Don't let Felton Davis beat you.

from the fact that we were not doubling Felton Davis almost the entire game or rolling coverage to his side of the field. He was the ONE guy you could not let beat you. They always talk about limiting the oppositions biggest strength. He scored one Touchdown literally wide open, nobody within a bus length of him. On the last drive, you know 2 things:

How is Amani left on an island on that last play? I HATE prevent defense, but how is the defense not in a zone there defending the endzone? You just can't be in man to man there on Felton Davis, can't. There were so many other things to point to all game, but if there was one game plan heading into this game that needed to be tight, it was; Don't let Felton Davis beat you.
Its a good point. I heard that Davis went into the huddle asking for that back shoulder play. Dantonio decided to go for the win. If incomplete, they kick the FG for overtime. Just a brain fart no matter how you describe it. Having said that, we had so many opportunities to nail the win down that it is mind boggling.

giphy.gif

I remember screaming to the TV in the empty family room, "Can someone PLEASE cover that guy with the long hair?!?!?" I don't remember when it was, but I guess our family cat didn't run to State College and give Pry and Smith the memo. On the touchdown play, I did that thing old people do with the fingers rubbing and pulling the skin on the forehead. Didn't bother watching the final few plays, although the TV was still on.

Just a tough performance and result.

Its a good point. I heard that Davis went into the huddle asking for that back shoulder play. Dantonio decided to go for the win. If incomplete, they kick the FG for overtime. Just a brain fart no matter how you describe it. Having said that, we had so many opportunities to nail the win down that it is mind boggling.

giphy.gif
I think they said that Dantonio called a hitch route and Davis told Lewerke he wasn't running a hitch and was going for the end zone. The back shoulder throw to get him open was probably Lewerke's doing, but the route change apparently was on Davis.

I just re watched the play. PSU is playing man to man with a free safety (man free) MSU has TE/WR (Davis) to the short side , slot to the wide side. The DB's match off with 17 taking the TE to the short side. On the snap, 17 comes down to the TE as he is blocking (which is 17 man, he did the right thing) that leaves a S free, but from I see,he is not even in the middle of the formation, let alone shading to Davis' side, he is almost on the far hash, and maybe that's how it was coached, I dont know. It looks as though he is shading to the slot side backing up those two guys at the snap. Lets face it , the shortest easiest throw is to Davis into the boundary, not the field, and if he is the easiest threat, you need to shade that way. The QB looks at him all the way... Oh well.....

I love watching the close up of Barry after the play!!! LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT