ADVERTISEMENT

I heard on KDKA that a PSU Frat was suspended but I didn't catch the name

PSURAHJ

May 29, 2001
Something about nude photos of passed out girls being posted on Facebook by them. Also something about hazing as well.

Where is this frat house located?

Forget the location of the frat house, where is the link to the photos?

Just kidding! I know this is wrong.

Forget the location of the frat house

Pretty sure it's on E. Prospect right across from Pi Kappa Alpha.

Doubtful that this was an official function of the fraternity. However, if they had a list of 150 members, most of whom were members of this fraternity, then they are toast.

One wonders why a sun-splashed Beaver Stadium shot during a game..

would accompany this story, instead of perhaps, a gymnastics meet or a golf match. Why not a shot of the model railroad club, or a Meteo class? How about a trustees meeting?
This post was edited on 3/17 10:48 AM by Victor E. Bell

Re: One wonders why a sun-splashed Beaver Stadium shot during a game..

Originally posted by Victor E. Bell:

would accompany this story, instead of perhaps, a gymnastics meet or a golf match. Why not a shot of the model railroad club, or a Meteo class? How about a trustees meeting?
This post was edited on 3/17 10:48 AM by Victor E. Bell
Exactly. Maybe a photo of the frat house would be more appropriate. I guess this is a football culture problem too. (TIC) but a pissed off (TIC).

Not quite as bad as Sigma Chi at Miami (OH) U. a couple of years ago...

They were a major drug distribution enterprise. Apparently had too many enterprising business majors as members. The official line is that the national organization closed the chapter for hazing, but that is not the real story.

SAE at Miami also is gone due to a recent major drug bust.
This post was edited on 3/17 11:05 AM by Big 0

This post was edited on 3/17 11:09 AM by Big 0

Link

Pretty sure that publishing photos of naked women taken without their

permission is a wee bit more than "just college kids being knuckleheads."

Re: Pretty sure that publishing photos of naked women taken without their

Demlion...it is modern day knucklehead behavior. Just with modern tools and internet today, kids can get into a lot more trouble than years ago. Back in the 'day' before the internet, if you somehow had a picture of a naked girl it was an actual paper photo that might have got showed around and then just put in some kids desk drawer and forgotten and then thrown out. Nobody but the few who saw ever knew. Now with a click of a phone and hitting send can go out to mass people and create huge issues. Much more difficult world for kids these days to grow up in as trouble can get so big so fast.

Thank God I went to college in the 1980's**

was reminiscing recently with a friend about all of the hyjinx we were up to - in today's era awash with security cameras - there's zero chance of getting away with stuff

we used to fill up Cedarbrook elevators at 3-5am with leaves and/or broken appliances... the physics of a water-balloon slingshot completely captivated 19yr old men and would same to pepper balconies with fragile beer-bladders... used the same device to launch potatoes over the trees and rain them down toward a Sigma Pi hot tub party

It only takes one act of stupidity to undo 13 million good deeds.

Is it really a "Penn State" frat? Is there any official association with the university?

When I read "PSU + Frat + Suspended" I was thinking this was going to be related to something dug up about racism along the lines of what we saw at OU.

I can't say that I'm relieved though as these charges are serious as well.

Re: Just college kids being knuckleheads - nothing more

Is that TIC? If what is reported is true, those are crimes, possibly even felonies, and disgusting ones at that.

Originally posted by demlion:
permission is a wee bit more than "just college kids being knuckleheads."
The search warrant, shown in the linked Onward State article, cites "Violation of PA Crimes Code Section 7507.1 (Invasion of Privacy).

Search warrant

Originally posted by NewYC:
Is that TIC? If what is reported is true, those are crimes, possibly even felonies, and disgusting ones at that.
+1. This is a little more than knuckle headed behavior. Also can't blame alcohol for it.

It is criminal invasion of privacy, and each photo is a separate offense.

Good luck to those jagoffs. Way to pi$$ away your future. Probably not sufficient to get you put on the sex offender registry, but still something you may find yourself explaining.;

Here you go:

§ 7507.1. Invasion of privacy.

(a) Offense defined.--Except as set forth in subsection (d), a person commits the offense of invasion of privacy if he, for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person, knowingly does any of the following:

(1) Views, photographs, videotapes, electronically depicts, films or otherwise records another person without that person's knowledge and consent while that person is in a state of full or partial nudity and is in a place where that person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

(2) Photographs, videotapes, electronically depicts, films or otherwise records or personally views the intimate parts, whether or not covered by clothing, of another person without that person's knowledge and consent and which intimate parts that person does not intend to be visible by normal public observation.

(3) Transfers or transmits an image obtained in violation of paragraph (1) or (2) by live or recorded telephone message, electronic mail or the Internet or by any other transfer of the medium on which the image is stored.

(a.1) Separate violations.--A separate violation of this section shall occur:

(1) for each victim of an offense under subsection (a) under the same or similar circumstances pursuant to one scheme or course of conduct whether at the same or different times; or

(2) if a person is a victim of an offense under subsection (a) on more than one occasion during a separate course of conduct either individually or otherwise.

(b) Grading.--Invasion of privacy is a misdemeanor of the second degree if there is more than one violation. Otherwise, a violation of this section is a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Is it? If I walk outside naked and someone takes a picture of me, I'm expecting it to go on the internet, and I don't think it would be a crime. Of course, if these women (no idea how many "naked women" pics are posted) were "passed out" then that's a different story. It's all in the facts, and we don't have any.

a lot more than being knuckleheads... peeps are going to jail over this... posting all those pix and also posting about drug deals that have gone down in the house among other things... Hope they all like looking through jail bars...

This was not someone walking outside naked. Did you read the story?*

Somebody better be hoping nobody in the photos is under 18...

or there may be some amended charges which will trigger Megan's Law. Title 42, not 18. Chapter 97, Sub. H.
EDIT: I take that back, looks like 15 yr registration regardless of age.
This post was edited on 3/17 12:37 PM by Victor E. Bell

And, once again....we see posters here that cannot grasp simple concepts...

...simple concepts of human decency, even.

College prank? Sadly, no.

The information available points to this being a concerted effort by multiple members to get pics of naked females to post on facebook...as if it is some sort of game or contest.

What is so hard about that for some of you to understand? And, why constant need to embarass yourselves?

These kids are ing deep, deep trouble. This is way outside of prank boundaries. It is criminality, pure and simple.

So, so hard to be kids these days? LOL. Cue the violins.

Not so hard to get your salad tossed in the Gray Bar Hotel, as they will soon find out.

Re: And, once again....we see posters here that cannot grasp simple concepts...

Thanks, Emmert.

I'm going to wait until I form a judgment here, because experience tells me that the first breathless, sensationalized press reports are rarely accurate.

But by all means, feel free to charge, try and convict every member of this frat based on the contents of a search warrant if that satisfies your knee-jerk anti-elitist instincts.

Viewing the pictures is a crime even if you did not take them.

150 people were on the page.

Seriously. While I support the punishment of these clowns, I am

somewhat stunned that in this day and age, if you pass out semi-naked in a frat house, that you still have the expectation of privacy? This is why you don't do some of this stuff because somebody is going to get it on video or facebook or whatever.

My disabled son is at a mini-Thon at his high school. He is in the bathroom and sets his phone down....finishes his business and leaves without his phone. When he goes back, it is gone. The teachers don't stop the event and folks are allowed to leave. When I was in school, nobody would have been allowed to leave until the phone was returned. When we complain to the school, the response is, "what do you expect....if you leave you phone someplace, you should expect it to be gone". Like my kid did something wrong. Somebody steals a phone from a disabled kid at an event to raise money for cancer, and he is the bad guy.

My response to both of these phone situations is......you have to be fugging kidding me? The world I want to live in is far different than what we have today.

The pictures were on Facebook. That much is going to be pretty

hard to refute. The deletion from the computers is also a bad sign, if true.

But unlike Emmert and the prosecutor, I do not have ANY duty to presume anyone innocent. I have a daughter who just graduated from PSU. On the basis of this news story my clear instruction to any girl going to PSU is: DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THAT FRAT. If that hurts your feelings too bad.

Re: Viewing the pictures is a crime even if you did not take them.

Read the search warrant. Among other things, there are pictures of strippers--probably not a big problem.

It does seem that there was at least one picture of a student topless on the first facebook page, which she discovered and had deleted, but aside from that it's hard to say what "incriminating" pictures might be on there.

If I am reading this right, anyone convicted in this case would

have to register as a sex offender for 15 years? WOW.

Re: The pictures were on Facebook. That much is going to be pretty

I think it's safe to say that everyone's instruction to their daughters should always be to never pass out in a frat. But, we already knew that.

I am sure the many women who are given the date rape drug at frat houses

across the country feel suitably shamed at your victim-blaming.

These frat boys deserve due process just like every other American, but anyone who sees the activity described as just "knucklehead behavior" needs to have his moral compass recalibrated.

Seriously, how would you feel if your daughter was the victim?

SMH.

Re: The pictures were on Facebook. That much is going to be pretty

And what if they were roofied?
Stop being a jerk.

What if you got drunk and passed out and your buddy took your ATM card and emptied your bank account. Would you be cool with that?

The described behavior is amoral and illegal. Stop making excuses for it.

Penn State's policy is pretty clear on these things

From Student Code of Conduct:

Consent means a clear, knowing, and voluntary agreement to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity. Consent may be communicated through verbal or non-verbal expression, and cannot be inferred from the absence of a "no." Consent cannot be gained by threat, coercion, intimidation, or force. In order to give consent, one must be of legal age for sexual consent as physically and cognitively able to understand what is being agreed to; for example, one must be both sober enough and conscious enough to consent. Consent may be withdrawn at any point. Consent for one form of sexual activity cannot automatically imply consent to any other forms of activity.Consent must be obtained on each occasion and cannot be assumed by previous consensual actions.

ADVERTISEMENT