ADVERTISEMENT

I have to say that I like Pitt's alternative uniforms

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
and I typically don't like alternative uniforms

5f6907b19adfe.image.jpg
Screen-Shot-2020-09-20-at-1.31.57-PM-750x487.png

I do not like anything about Pitt.

Having said that anything is better than their "baby poop" yellow pants.

and I typically don't like alternative uniforms

5f6907b19adfe.image.jpg
Screen-Shot-2020-09-20-at-1.31.57-PM-750x487.png
About 50 years ago when I was in high school there was a classmate named Connie. She really wanted to go to the prom but sadly wasn't asked. She decided to wear flashy clothes day after day to attract attention. It didn't work because beneath the clothes she was still the same undesirable Connie.

About 50 years ago when I was in high school there was a classmate named Connie. She really wanted to go to the prom but sadly wasn't asked. She decided to wear flashy clothes day after day to attract attention. It didn't work because beneath the clothes she was still the same undesirable Connie.
Heard she married into the Lingus family.

I really like the story behind the design aspects of the unis.

I think the design team forgot to do their research. Anthracite is not typically used to make steel. Bituminous coal is turned into coke which is what is typically used to make steel. Also, Andrew Yellin’s artwork in the Cathedral of Learning is wrought iron, not steel.

Reactions: PSU2UNC and BBrown
I think the design team forgot to do their research. Anthracite is not typically used to make steel. Bituminous coal is turned into coke which is what is typically used to make steel. Also, Andrew Yellin’s artwork in the Cathedral of Learning is wrought iron, not steel.
Thanks for the clarification. Like everything I guess...never let a few facts get in the way of a good story. 🤷‍♂️

When people would make fun of Connie, would she immediately assume they were interested in her because of the negative attention?

I hate ... repeat HATE ... the alternate uniform WHEN a team already has a "classic" or great look with thier originals. It's one thing if you do not have a classic or great original uniform and you are looking to spruce things up. Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, Washington State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Miss State, Jaguars, Texans, Cardinals, Seahawks ..... If you do not have a classic or great original uniform then go for the alternate and add variety & spice.

But if you DO have a classic or great original look, then do NOT screw around with it. I hate to say it, and I hate to give any kudos to pitt, but their navy blue & mustard yellow uniforms, with the script "pitt" on helmets that they went back to the last few years are classic college football. They finally did something right and went back to a classic, and now they screw it up for 1 game with an alternate.

Penn State, Bama, USC, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, UCLA..... Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks, Maple Leafs.... Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders, Chiefs, Packers.... Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers..... There is absolutely no reason any team with a classic & great uni should ever do an alternate.

I hate ... repeat HATE ... the alternate uniform WHEN a team already has a "classic" or great look with thier originals. It's one thing if you do not have a classic or great original uniform and you are looking to spruce things up. Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, Washington State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Miss State, Jaguars, Texans, Cardinals, Seahawks ..... If you do not have a classic or great original uniform then go for the alternate and add variety & spice.

But if you DO have a classic or great original look, then do NOT screw around with it. I hate to say it, and I hate to give any kudos to pitt, but their navy blue & mustard yellow uniforms, with the script "pitt" on helmets that they went back to the last few years are classic college football. They finally did something right and went back to a classic, and now they screw it up for 1 game with an alternate.

Penn State, Bama, USC, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, UCLA..... Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks, Maple Leafs.... Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders, Chiefs, Packers.... Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers..... There is absolutely no reason any team with a classic & great uni should ever do an alternate.
...and if we put that damned stripe on the pants again, I am done...hear me, DONE!

(sarcasm alert)

...and if we put that damned stripe on the pants again, I am done...hear me, DONE!

(sarcasm alert)

Some old sayings are old sayings because they hold true to the test of time.

For example: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Reactions: Obliviax
What is that blacksmith patch?
Narduzzi once trained to be a blacksmith. Unfortunately, he failed the standard written guild test three times. It's an homage to his failure and Pitt's great fortune that he became a football coach.

(sarcasm alert)

Just wait until we ditch the navy blue & go back to the original, still official Penn State royal blue.

Just wait until we ditch the navy blue & go back to the original, still official Penn State royal blue.
Not so sure about that: Licensing
Although this implies other colors might be acceptable (Note: Don’t use tints of Beaver Blue. Anything less than 100 percent opacity will begin to appear purple. 😉)

Not so sure about that: Licensing
Although this implies other colors might be acceptable (Note: Don’t use tints of Beaver Blue. Anything less than 100 percent opacity will begin to appear purple. 😉)

People seem to forget that Paterno was responsible for the most drastic change to the uniform. He changed the color from a royal blue to a navy blue in the late 60s. Here's a pic where the stripe & number on the helmet are navy while the jersey was still royal. 1967 or 68?

college-football-penn-state-ted-kwalick-in-action-vs-army-at-beaver-picture-id166903794

While navy blue is now the blue used for PSU Athletics, the official Penn State blue is still a royal blue. Remember the uproar when PSU redesigned their mark about five years ago? Since all PSU teams have switched to navy blue over the years, people mistakenly believe that navy is the official university color.

-1_0.png

Reactions: nits74
ADVERTISEMENT