ADVERTISEMENT

I figured what caused the Ethiopian plane crash, I think

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
General consensus is that it was an issue with the auto-pilot, the stall warning system and the pilots not being able to disable those systems and take back control of the plane, which is what happened in the LionAir crash several months ago. But what has bothered me is that multiple witnesses on the ground said the plane was smoking and dropping debris from the rear. It was also making strange noises. Something different happened this time.

Yesterday, someone named Tom McAndrew posted a link to a Reuters article on the crash.

From the article;

The aircraft’s ground speed after departure was unusually high, the Reuters source said, reaching around 400 knots (460 miles per hour) rather than the 200 to 250 knots that is more typical minutes after departure.

“That is way too fast,” the source said.

Think about driving your car in a parking lot. To make a right turn at 15 mph, you need to turn the wheel quite a bit. But on a road at 30 mph, you turn the wheel much less to make the same turn. Keep that in mind.

The Max planes have much more powerful engines than the old 737s. When the crew started down the runway, they over-powered the engines and were going way too fast.

As it started the take off roll at 460 mph the pilot used the same inputs he would at 230 mph so the nose of the plane lifted up more quickly than normal. And at that speed the air pressure on the underside of the fuselage and wings would cause the nose to lift even faster.

This rapid and extreme rotation caused the tail of the plane to hit the runway very hard, causing heavy damage to the tail and rear stabilizers. (Watch a normal take off and you will see that as the nose rises, the tail drops and often comes pretty close to the runway. There have been several incidents where the tail struck the runway and the planes had to return and be repaired.) At the same time, the flight control systems would register the nose as being too high, activate the stall system, and try to bring the nose down.

Now the pilot would have felt the impact of the tail and knows he needs to get altitude quickly to buy time to regain control. He would try to keep nose up and de-activate the computerized flight. You have the computers trying to bring the nose down, the pilot trying to keep the nose up and gain altitude, and both having problems because the plane isn't responding as it should because of the tail damage. Even if the pilot was successful in turning off the computer control system and was flying fully manual, he would still have trouble keeping level flight with tail so badly damaged.

No more than two minutes later, the air traffic controller was in communication with other aircraft when the voice from Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 interrupted, saying “break, break” - signaling that other non-urgent communications should cease. He sounded very scared, the source said.

“He requested permission to return. Air traffic control granted him permission to turn on the right because to the left is the city,” he said. “Maybe one minute passed before the blinking dot on the radar disappeared.”

He kept the plane going for two minutes and requested a return to the airport. He made a right turn and then disappeared of the radar. I think he was able to control the plane until he tried to turn. But by now he would have going over 500 knots. Turning at that speed in heavy air (low altitude) the plane would turn much quicker than a normal approach turn at lower speed. And a quick turn would put additional stresses on an already damaged plane. Thats when he lost control and the plane crashed.

This explains why the plane was smoking and trailing debris. Also explains why an experienced pilot would have trouble controlling the plane even if he shut off the computer controls. If this is what happened, then the plane is safe to fly but pilots needed better training in controlling speeds and take off rotation.

Last edited:
General consensus is that it was an issue with the auto-pilot, the stall warning system and the pilots not being able to disable those systems and take back control of the plane, which is what happened in the LionAir crash several months ago. But what has bothered me is that multiple witnesses on the ground said the plane was smoking and dropping debris from the rear. It was also making strange noises. Something different happened this time.

Yesterday, someone named Tom McAndrews posted a link to a Reuters article on the crash.

From the article;

The aircraft’s ground speed after departure was unusually high, the Reuters source said, reaching around 400 knots (460 miles per hour) rather than the 200 to 250 knots that is more typical minutes after departure.

“That is way too fast,” the source said.

Think about driving your car in a parking lot. To make a right turn at 15 mph, you need to turn the wheel quite a bit. But on a road at 30 mph, you turn the wheel much less to make the same turn. Keep that in mind.

The Max planes have much more powerful engines than the old 737s. Whne the crew started down the runway, they over-powered the engines and were going way too fast.

As it started the take off roll at 460 mph the pilot used the same inputs he would at 230 mph so the nose of the plane lifted up more quickly than normal. And at that speed the air pressure on the underside of the fuselage and wings would cause the nose to lift even faster.

This rapid and extreme rotation caused the tail of the plane to hit the runway very hard, causing heavy damage to the tail and rear stabilizers. (Watch a normal take off and you will see that as the nose rises, the tail drops and often comes pretty close to the runway. There have been several incidents where the tail struck the runway and the planes had to return and be repaired.) At the same time, the flight control systems would register the nose as being too high, activate the stall system, and try to bring the nose down.

Now the pilot would have felt the impact of the tail and knows he needs to get altitude quickly to buy time to regain control. He would try to keep nose up and de-activate the computerized flight. You have the computers trying to bring the nose down, the pilot trying to keep the nose up and gain altitude, and both having problems because the plane isn't responding as it should because of the tail damage. Even if the pilot was successful in turning off the computer control system and was flying fully manual, he would still have trouble keeping level flight with tail so badly damaged.

No more than two minutes later, the air traffic controller was in communication with other aircraft when the voice from Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 interrupted, saying “break, break” - signaling that other non-urgent communications should cease. He sounded very scared, the source said.

“He requested permission to return. Air traffic control granted him permission to turn on the right because to the left is the city,” he said. “Maybe one minute passed before the blinking dot on the radar disappeared.”

He kept the plane going for two minutes and requested a return to the airport. He made a right turn and then disappeared of the radar. I think he was able to control the plane until he tried to turn. But by now he would have going over 500 knots. Turning at that speed in heavy air (low altitude) the plane would turn much quicker than a normal approach turn at lower speed. And a quick turn would put additional stresses on an already damaged plane. Thats when he lost control and the plane crashed.

This explains why the plane was smoking and trailing debris. Also explains why an experienced pilot would have trouble controlling the plane even if he shut off the computer controls. If this is what happened, then the plane is safe to fly but pilots needed better training in controlling speeds and take off rotation.

Planes take off at 460mph? That seems mighty fast for wheels. I can't see any plane getting that fast on a runway and hitting the tail.

Maybe that's a good place to start with your analysis.

LdN

Reactions: jim cummings
Planes take off at 460mph? That seems mighty fast for wheels. I can't see any plane getting that fast on a runway and hitting the tail.

Maybe that's a good place to start with your analysis.

LdN
The 460 was the 'speed after departure' meaning first reported air speed after takeoff. But you are right, I hadn't thought of a blown tire at that speed. That's what brought down the Concorde....not speed but a tire hit debris on runway and the blown tire damaged a fuel tank. Maybe that's why it was smoking.

Reactions: dcf4psu
The 460 was the 'speed after departure' meaning first reported air speed after takeoff. But you are right, I hadn't thought of a blown tire at that speed. That's what brought down the Concorde....not speed but a tire hit debris on runway and the blown tire damaged a fuel tank. Maybe that's why it was smoking.

That and i am not even sure a 737 can fly at that speed at ground level. That is near cruising speed 30k feet in the air.

Probably max speed at sea level is much lower.

LdN

The entire landing gear would have collapsed let alone a blown tires.

There’s a lot of speculation in what you posted and I applaud your effort to do so. As someone that has more logged flight time than most on this board, I can tell you that none of that makes sense.

A tail strike with a takeoff roll of 460 mph would only be possible if the flaps were fully retracted. Flaps in normal takeoff mode... the more speed beyond the V speed and the plane lifts off like a kite. But the gear would have collapsed before the plane got off the ground it it was indeed rolling at 400+ mph. Hell thats 80% of cruise speed. Impossible.

All signs point to the faulty bug in the computer system to prevent a stall which was supposed to aid in a nose down attitude to break the stall. That’s clearly malfunctioning on this aircraft. There’s a national database where pilots can make complaints and there were several complaints from American pilots about the nose down glitch.

I am not sure I agree. A 737 only needs about 140 mph to get off the ground.

Further, pilots are required to be type rated in different aircraft before they fly. A 737 Max is s different plane than a 737 even though they are same family of planes. So the pilot should have known the difference between the planes.

V1 is the velocity at which a plane can take off and V2 is the velocity at which there is no turning back and the plane has to take off

These velocities are called out from pilot to co-pilot as they travel down the runway. So if the 460 mph is what speed they had just after takeoff then V2 would have had to have been very close to that.

I am sure any experienced pilot would have recognized a V2 that is about 21/2-3 times greater than normal V2.

And 460 mph is very difficult to achieve st anything less than FL 20 (20,000 feet) due to dense air. Further the landing gear would have not been retracted yet and if pilot wanted go around he would have kept the gear down creating more drag and so he could be prepared for a landing.

Reactions: NedFromYork
From the Seattle Times on why Boeing installed the MCAS on the 737 MAX:

The new flight control system on the MAX, the MCAS, was added so that the new plane would behave and feel the same to pilots as the older model 737s.

It was necessary because the new model’s bigger engines, positioned farther forward on the wings, changed the plane’s lift characteristics in a high-speed stall situation.

MCAS is designed to swivel the horizontal tail so as to push the plane’s nose down automatically, without pilot input, if a sensor on the fuselage indicates the nose relative to the air flow is at too high an angle — the Angle of Attack (AOA).

One suggestion I've seen is the inexperienced first officer, upon reacting to the other air speed problem, wrongly assumed it was an MCAS issue and actually reacted incorrectly and caused the crash.

One suggestion I've seen is the inexperienced first officer, upon reacting to the other air speed problem, wrongly assumed it was an MCAS issue and actually reacted incorrectly and caused the crash.
Very possible. Often times, crashes aren't from one issue but several that conflate to cause disaster. Single issues are caught and remediated in testing. We don't yet know who was flying the plane: the experienced pilot or inexperienced copilot. Tom's article States the voice recording was a single voice. Can't yet rule out the pilot was incapacitated. The black box will give us the cause in due time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT