ADVERTISEMENT

"I didn't want my last game to be Pitt"

I read that quote yesterday and the same thought popped into my head.

No one loves to mock PITT as much as I do, but this is really a stretch. It was the last game of his regular season. If by some quirk of scheduling it had been us, an irate mob with burning torches would be marching towards Clemson to burn the stadium down.

Reactions: OhioLion
Apologies if my ribbing of Pitt was taken too seriously. Very intentionally taken out of context just for fun.
I understood, liked it and got a chuckle out of it. Pitt is polarizing though and some want all discussion of Pitt banished from the board.Oh well.

Reactions: marshall23
Apologies if my ribbing of Pitt was taken too seriously. Very intentionally taken out of context just for fun.

Meh, some people are humorless. Very clear that you intentionally took it out of context. To be honest, it was just a meaningless quote to begin with.o_O

Reactions: marshall23
Agreed - the “if they aren’t our rivals don’t mention them” crowd are just as annoying as the people they complain about. Just don’t read it if you don’t like it.

To clear this up one last time...

-Pitt is NOT PSU's rival
-Pitt Football is mostly irrelevant and not really worthy of discussion
-The ugly, delusional, envious Pitt fans ARE worth mocking and I thoroughly enjoy it
-If Pitt fans weren't fixated on PSU, this board would see 90% less posts re: the Panthers.

In support for the first bullet above:
I'm 42 and grew up hearing about rivalries with Pitt, ND, Miami, but I cannot remember a meaningful game with Pitt. They certainly occurred in my lifetime, but I cannot recall any of them. Now consider that I've been out of PSU for 19 years. That means the kids who are FR/So at PSU were born the year I graduated. If I cannot remember a meaningful game against Pitt, the kids playing/in school now have no idea that Pitt was ever a decent football program, let alone an annual rival with PSU.
Hell, the kids in school today have no feeling about Miami and we've certainly had meaningful games against them much more recently.

Reactions: Ski
I actually rooted for Pitt(when they weren't playing PSU)... I even had a son that lived in Pburgh for 11 years. Then one day I visited "The Lair." Now, I revel in the joke that Pitt FB really is. 6 wins per year for 50 years. Rivals?.....hardly.

I venture to bet that the Pitt rivalry thing is perpetuated by those of us in the 412 and perhaps the 814. The Pitt vitriol is rampant and nauseating in these area codes. News play and coverage is very Pitt centric with very little mention of PSU or WVU. It get that Pitt is the ‘local’ school, but PSU still has a strong presence of alumnus and you would think the coverage would be more even keeled. Our local 412 based HS has far more of its brightest kids going to PSU than Pitt - it is where the kids want to be,not in Oakland. I digress. You have to be here I guess, listening to Narduzi speak; the not so subtle jabs at PSU; poor coverage or in some cases complete lack of coverage. Last night the news coverage featured an entire sequence on Pitt at the Sun bowl. They deserve some mention but the hype and propaganda are too much to bare for this mild mannered Penn Stater. It is the Sun bowl after all for a mediocre team.

So at least in the 412 the rivalry is alive and well with old and young alike - meaningful game or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT