ADVERTISEMENT

"I didn't know you had a beach"

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
As we used to call it - the North Shore. When I was really little we used to vacation at Madison On The Lake, east of Cleveland. We are talking like ‘59-‘60.
We used to vacation (late 60's) at Peck's Cottages in Vermillon 35 miles west of Cleveland. It's still there.

Indeed... my cousins have a house right here in South Haven, Michigan

beach-south-haven-michigan-e1438794900636.jpg

Reactions: A2Nit
LOL, you should have heard some of the comments I got about my New Mexico trip.
Oy vey do they not teach geography anymore? Yikes.
this always brings me back to our PE department chair and how he handles a kid who doesnt have their PE uniform. He would ask them a 'school' question and if they got it right, he would not take points off.

Here was his question, "Name a state that borders Maryland"

Young man #1: "north carolina...."
Young man #2: "you dumbass, not north carolina, its south carolina"

A different time another child answered "the chesapeake bay"

I grew up a stones throw from Lake Michigan outside Chicago - they have some really nice beaches and swimming in fresh water is more enjoyable than salt water IMO. Would not go back because they winter aren’t fun and the summer is pretty short but these are really inland Oceans.

Here's the Great Lakes beach I frequent when not fishing. It's only accessible by boat or by those that live on the island.

Reactions: Obliviax
I met people in Brooklyn who legit didn’t know they lived on an island and that it was Long Island.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I met people in Brooklyn who legit didn’t know they lived on and island and that it was Long Island.
Yep. I've had arguments with cousins who live in Brooklyn over this. I ask them why it is they can't go to NJ without going over a bridge or through a tunnel, or don't need to cross a bridge to get to Long Island. Blank stares.

In the late '70s, there was a good local high school football player who was dumb as a rock, and was being recruited by Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. The recruiter asked him if he had any questions, and the kid said, "What state is it in?"

When George Rogers was drafted out of South Carolina, he was involved in a contract dispute with the Saints. His agent told him he should threaten to sign with the Canadian Football League to try to get a better deal with New Orleans. Rogers said, "Oh no, I ain't crossing no ocean to play football."

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I've been on several flights back home to CLE to overhear a conversation during final approach into the CLE airport that goes something like this:

"Flight attendant, I was supposed to go to Cleveland!"

"We are in Cleveland, we are about to land."

"What is that ocean?"

"That's Lake Erie"

‘I didn’t know you had a beach,’ and other observations about Cleveland from meeting planners in town for the NFL Draft

So excellent. Only worry when you hear such convo from the cockpit.

Reactions: Obliviax
In the late '70s, there was a good local high school football player who was dumb as a rock, and was being recruited by Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. The recruiter asked him if he had any questions, and the kid said, "What state is it in?"

When George Rogers was drafted out of South Carolina, he was involved in a contract dispute with the Saints. His agent told him he should threaten to sign with the Canadian Football League to try to get a better deal with New Orleans. Rogers said, "Oh no, I ain't crossing no ocean to play football."
And Kyrie Irving believes the Earth if flat which is weird since he was born in Australia and I'm sure has flown all over the world. So Kyrie if you fly from New York to LA for a basketball game and you land in LA where it is 5pm but your watch says 8pm what is going on? What do you think about this when you fly to Australia or China where there is a twelve hour difference and it is noon broad daylight but your watch says midnight?

Once took my room mate from Jersey to Presque Isle. The waves were three four feet and he couldn’t believe we were body surfing in fresh water. And when we toweled off there was no salty residue.

One of our best vacations was a week camping at Tobermory, Ontario on Lake Huron. Every one of the lakes seems to have it's own character, and Huron is very different from either Ontario or Erie.

Once took my room mate from Jersey to Presque Isle. The waves were three four feet and he couldn’t believe we were body surfing in fresh water. And when we toweled off there was no salty residue.
It must not have been blowing too much if they were only three or four feet.

I have a friend who was born and raised in Queens who didn't know where Corona is.

I said "Goodbye to Rosie, the queen of Corona", and while he knew it was a Paul Simon song he had no idea Corona was a neighborhood in Queens

I mean corona isn’t the best but there is some proper Taco joints there and also an old school Italian lemon ice joint my wife loves.

It would have been a different song if it was about The Lemon Ice King of corona
image.jpg

Reactions: PSU87
I met people in Brooklyn who legit didn’t know they lived on an island and that it was Long Island.
Well they know but they refuse to say they are long islanders. Instead they will say I’m in New York City and not Long Island. It is the funniest damn thing. I had the same conversation with a guy living in queens 20 years ago. He was so mad!! Lol

Reactions: bison13
Well they know but they refuse to say they are long islanders. Instead they will say I’m in New York City and not Long Island. It is the funniest damn thing. I had the same conversation with a guy living in queens 20 years ago. He was so mad!! Lol
They are a subset of LI as my friend from LI calls them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT