ADVERTISEMENT

I cut the cord today...

Hugh Manatee

May 29, 2001
Central Florida
very liberating... I'm going with PlayStation Vue. I've hated the cable company for forever. The fact that I can call them, say my bill is too high, and then have them reduce the bill by $20/month like it means nothing to them infuriated me. My bill was just increased to $180/month and I anticipate it dropping to about $100 after switching. The only channel I don't have with PS Vue that I previously liked is RedZone.

Questions... can I use a universal remote with the PS4?
Is there another internet device that gives me the "guide" interface?
Any other words of wisdom from other PS Vue users?
Thanks!

very liberating... I'm going with PlayStation Vue. I've hated the cable company for forever. The fact that I can call them, say my bill is too high, and then have them reduce the bill by $20/month like it means nothing to them infuriated me. My bill was just increased to $180/month and I anticipate it dropping to about $100 after switching. The only channel I don't have with PS Vue that I previously liked is RedZone.

How much is your internet service?

I have DirecTV with Comcast for internet. I'm thinking of dropping DirecTv and and doing the bundle with Comcast. Total for internet, tv, and phone is $120 (plus taxes). I'm paying $90 for internet only right now so I feel like I'm sort of being forced to go with Comcast for everything.

Thanks!

I don't use PS4, simply over-the-air + Netflix/Amazon Prime (which we use very little) and I rely on my TiVo Roamio for its unbeatable channel guide/ DVRing local OTA channels ... simply a few bucks a month ... believe Roamio no longer available /since replaced by the more-expensive TiVo Bolt

Comcast basic with like 10 hbo channels is like $110 for us. I complained about the rate, they dropped $12 off and then charged us $14 more for the boxes. I complain and they charge us $2 more. Assholes.

Reactions: Grass
I use Comcast for internet only. I use Roku to get Sling TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Cut the cord a year ago and never lack for entertainment.

How much is your internet service?

I have DirecTV with Comcast for internet. I'm thinking of dropping DirecTv and and doing the bundle with Comcast. Total for internet, tv, and phone is $120 (plus taxes). I'm paying $90 for internet only right now so I feel like I'm sort of being forced to go with Comcast for everything.
Oddly enough, after I cancelled my TV service, they quoted me $65/month for just internet. I said that still seems high and they then said they would lower it to $45/month for one year. I picked the $45/month PS Vue package so I should be saving around $80/month.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Thanks!

Yes they do. I just bought one on Amazon. It's a PS4 licensed remote and runs for about $25 or so. Be sure to get the 2nd GEN model (as the 1st Gen is notorious for draining batteries). I have linked mine to operate my TV and PS4 applications in one device. Highly recommend. Very small learning curve.

Thanks!

Fellow PSVue, but not PS4, user here. I'd suggest buying a Roku or Amazon Fire device so that you can download stand alone channel "apps" that allow you to watch shows on-demand - not sure if PS4 does this or not.

Make use of the "My Shows" feature on PSVue - unlimited recording, just have to watch within 28 days. That should solve any issues you have with not having a guide. As long as you know what network the show is on you're good to go.

Reactions: AJ65
This information is great so far. I am of the younger generation and I am embarrassed to say I have 0 idea how any of this works, but I am ready to put forth the effort. I have an old samsung HD TV, I would like to move to playstation vue, but I have a few questions:

1. Can you have TV in multiple rooms, if so, how? We have a TV in our living-room and bedroom
2. What piece of equipment do I actually need to have Playstation Vue? Do I have to have a playstation? If not, what are some options? Anything cheap/recommended?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Damn, thought your wife had a child today!
And I thought he got rid of this Cord.;)

a-brief-history-of-the-cord-automobile-the-coolest-car-you-never-knew-existed-photo-613117-s-original-1.jpg

This information is great so far. I am of the younger generation and I am embarrassed to say I have 0 idea how any of this works, but I am ready to put forth the effort. I have an old samsung HD TV, I would like to move to playstation vue, but I have a few questions:

1. Can you have TV in multiple rooms, if so, how? We have a TV in our living-room and bedroom
2. What piece of equipment do I actually need to have Playstation Vue? Do I have to have a playstation? If not, what are some options? Anything cheap/recommended?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You need to make sure you have a streaming device or streaming capabilities at each tv. One VUE account can service multiple devices. You will need to download the VUE app on each device. My advice would be to get a PS4, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV device. The Roku device will work, but it's interface with PS Vue is by far the worst.

Remember, PS Vue utlizes internet as its source, so you need to make sure you have wifi setup.

You need to make sure you have a streaming device or streaming capabilities at each tv. One VUE account can service multiple devices. You will need to download the VUE app on each device. My advice would be to get a PS4, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV device. The Roku device will work, but it's interface with PS Vue is by far the worst.

Remember, PS Vue utlizes internet as its source, so you need to make sure you have wifi setup.

Thank you very much. I have internet, so if I were to get lets say AMazon fire TV, do they have a dongle a plug into each tv and then connect to the internet? Thank you.

I'll just add on that if you're looking to stream in multiple rooms at the same time you want to have a fast internet package on the order of 50 mbps and to purchase a quality router with external antennae- Netgear Nighthawk is a good one. Yes you can stream at a slower speed, but if you're both watching something, while wife is browsing facebook and you're tracking a game on your phones, you're likely to have buffering or loss of quality issues.

I'm cutting the cord on Saturday. I have a Fire TV on the way and will pick up the $35 Vue package. I will get local channels from cable as my area is too far from all the "local" stations to get them with an antenna. Tge whole setup should be for just over $100.

Thank you very much. I have internet, so if I were to get lets say AMazon fire TV, do they have a dongle a plug into each tv and then connect to the internet? Thank you.

Amazon will connect directly to one TV. multiple tvs? I believe you'll need multiple Fire devices (someone can maybe keep me honest here). It can also connect to wifi internet. Just download the Vue app on the device. Very intuitive - you'll have no problems accessing it and setting it up.

The Fire TV uses a standard HDMI cable to plug into the TV. It then can connect to the internet wirelessly or via a network cable. I would strongly suggest using a network cable on your main TV.

Multiple TVs = Multiple Streaming Devices

You'll need a device for each TV (Fire Stick, Chromecast, Roku, etc). It's not expensive nor is it a big deal.

I'm a Roku guy myself, but Fire Stick and others are good too. The advantage to Roku is the vast number of "channels" to add as well as the search functionality. Searching for "Denzel Washington" on Roku will bring up Denzel Washington across Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, etc.

And yes, you can get PS Vue on any of the above devices.

The Fire TV uses a standard HDMI cable to plug into the TV. It then can connect to the internet wirelessly or via a network cable. I would strongly suggest using a network cable on your main TV.

Yes, agreed--or make sure the wireless router is right next store to the thing.

Just for reference - My wife and I run wireless throughout entire house for all devices, computers, and phones. We have the 25MB Comcast package. no performance issues or data cap concerns at all.

That being said, if you have a bigger house - maybe multiple floors, you should get a bigger wifi router.

So how do you watch sports, PSU football, local news? Any Showtime, HBO?
Sling TV offers ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, NBC Sports and ACC Sports. I visit my golf club, a friend's house or a bar the few times Penn State football is on Big Ten Network. As far as HBO and Showtime go, I get enough movies with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

It is surprising how little one misses when habits change.

I have a few Rokus. I would recommend the Roku 3. Later models all have reported more problems than the Roku 3. I have no problems with any of mine. The Roku sticks are cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Spend the few extra $$ and get the Roku 3.

For sports, you have options. Roku channels I use are WatchESPN (includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ESPN News); NBC Sports (good for golf channel coverage, and Notre Dame football); Big Ten Network (live games, as well as replays); Fox Sports (live games); and NFL Sunday Ticket. The catch is that all of these channels require you to log on to your cable/satellite provider to get full access. That is where having a friend or relative that will share their log-in comes in handy. Also, there are ways to find log-ins to such things on the internet for a small fee.....

Lastly, if you don't have an antenna or way to watch your local channels, there are ways to get those on the Roku (or other streaming device) as well. SlingTV subscriptions come with some local channels. It just depends on your market. I get only NBC and Fox with mine. I know it is similar with Playstation Vue. One other option that has worked for me is getting a USTVNow account. You will get NBC, Fox, CBS, and ABC, along with options for other cable channels. The network feeds are all from Harrisburg, PA for some reason, but they will get you all of the sports action you need that appear on the main networks.

Question. What is the minimum internet download speed needed to switch over to streaming? Does it impact the quality if there are 2 or more devices streaming at the same time?

Question. What is the minimum internet download speed needed to switch over to streaming? Does it impact the quality if there are 2 or more devices streaming at the same time?

I believe VUE recommends 3MB wireless signal. Distance from router will also affect your strength.
Number of devices will have impact - imagine pieces of the pie getting allocatted to each device.
My experience is that each device will draw between 3-6MB's for a great signal.

I'm thrilled you started this thread. I am in the same boat and was going to start my Vue free trial this week. Just doing all my research and I am going to do it after the trial.

P.S. You actually can get redzone through them! They started offering it as an add-on last season for $40 for the entire NFL season. Not a bad deal at all, since I also love that channel and actually prefer it over the ticket during the season. You can't get it right now since it is the off-season and they do not show any programming on it now anyway.

I believe I'm going to pickup 3 amazon fire tv's and use the google chromecast that i already have to the less used guest room TV. Also going to pick up a few antenna's to make sure my local channels come in crystal clear. It's about a 4 month ROI on my capital investments ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Manatee

For 2 or more devices, I wouldn't consider anything 10mbps or less. Preferably at least 25mbps.

The real key for streaming is getting a good router. Don't cheap out. Get a Nighthawk or a Synology rt2600 AC. They're not cheap, but the single-most used electronic device in your home should not be shortchanged because you think you're "getting a deal" on something that "will still work". These two routers will be able to handle anything thrown at them--multiple streams, multiple devices--you name it.

Reactions: Alphabets
Also going to pick up a few antenna's to make sure my local channels come in crystal clear. It's about a 4 month ROI on my capital investments ;)

Get one antenna and then place an amp prior to your coax cable splits. You can right size your amp based on signal strength and number of tvs. (there is a bit of science to this) Then run to all TV's (I just reused my previous cable tv lines).

Get one antenna and then place an amp prior to your coax cable splits. You can right size your amp based on signal strength and number of tvs. (there is a bit of science to this) Then run to all TV's (I just reused my previous cable tv lines).
Yes, a bit more work than individual antennas, but less costly and a great idea. Thanks!

Yup. Simply re-used my DirecTV cables (not to mention the DTV roof-mount, converted it to take my OTA antenna) added (1) signal-amp... never looked back

Man, I love that car. If only I could justify spending the money for one!

I saw a Cord up close back in the 80's and it took my breath away. Here's a 1937 Cord 810 Phaeton for sale in Ohio at $175,000. Sweet ride.

ea96c888405cccf5bbe9d995bba27376.jpg

Reactions: hagberg
Do any of you "cord cutters" find it odd that you call yourself "cord cutters" but still rely on it for your Internet? Kind of like calling yourself a vegetarian, except for the steaks that you eat.o_O

Easiest way to think about it is that each connected device should have 5mb.

Yup. Simply re-used my DirecTV cables (not to mention the DTV roof-mount, converted it to take my OTA antenna) added (1) signal-amp... never looked back
Question for you. Did you need to mount your OTA antenna on the roof for signal quality or did you find that you were able to pull in more/different (e.g. Canadian) channels by doing so?

ADVERTISEMENT