ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the hospital now

Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery. I had to drop off my mother and pick her up today to remove melanoma this morning. The hospital had postponed it 2 times and didn't want to do it again. I literally dropped her off at the outpatient door and picked her up out there. I still went home and scrubbed like I never have before.

She has a good son.

You are lucky you still have your mom.

I wish I could turn back the clock just to have my mom back again; even if it was only for 15 minutes.

Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, for removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old, over 70 anyway, and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital seems to be operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was let’s get this damn thing over and done before the hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask here and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. They were screening everyone who walked in the entrance. My surgeon told me that the hospital room I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home, and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Anyway I will likely be here for about 2-3 days before going back to the real world. But the pain killers work pretty well, and this should give me about 2 or 3 strokes on my handicap if/when the course reopens this summer.

it feels like the calm before the storm. This is a big place but it seems to be well below capacity for now. Let’s hope it stays this quiet.

For those among us who are healthy, enjoy every day. It doesn’t last forever. I’m looking forward to cheering the Lions at the Bev again next fall and i won’t be yelling Down In Front.

I hope this post didn’t become a request for sympathy as my intention was just to pass on my impression of the conditions in a large city hospital right now.

All the best to you sir.

Reactions: Nitwit
Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, for removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old, over 70 anyway, and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital seems to be operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was let’s get this damn thing over and done before the hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask here and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. They were screening everyone who walked in the entrance. My surgeon told me that the hospital room I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home, and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Anyway I will likely be here for about 2-3 days before going back to the real world. But the pain killers work pretty well, and this should give me about 2 or 3 strokes on my handicap if/when the course reopens this summer.

it feels like the calm before the storm. This is a big place but it seems to be well below capacity for now. Let’s hope it stays this quiet.

For those among us who are healthy, enjoy every day. It doesn’t last forever. I’m looking forward to cheering the Lions at the Bev again next fall and i won’t be yelling Down In Front.

I hope this post didn’t become a request for sympathy as my intention was just to pass on my impression of the conditions in a large city hospital right now.
Right there with ya at 72 now and counting.We have cut back to only necessary things done where we might be exposed.Wish you the very best as well as all the folks on these boards.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT