ADVERTISEMENT

I’m in the hospital now

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, for removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old, over 70 anyway, and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital seems to be operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was let’s get this damn thing over and done before the hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask here and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. They were screening everyone who walked in the entrance. My surgeon told me that the hospital room I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home, and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Anyway I will likely be here for about 2-3 days before going back to the real world. But the pain killers work pretty well, and this should give me about 2 or 3 strokes on my handicap if/when the course reopens this summer.

it feels like the calm before the storm. This is a big place but it seems to be well below capacity for now. Let’s hope it stays this quiet.

For those among us who are healthy, enjoy every day. It doesn’t last forever. I’m looking forward to cheering the Lions at the Bev again next fall and i won’t be yelling Down In Front.

I hope this post didn’t become a request for sympathy as my intention was just to pass on my impression of the conditions in a large city hospital right now.

Last edited:
Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among, them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital is operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was to let’s get this damn thing over and done before hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. My surgeon told me that the hospital room I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Anyway I likely be here for about 2-3 days before going back to the real world. But pain killers work pretty well, and this should give me about 2 or 3 strokes on my handicap if/when the course reopen this summer.
Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery. I had to drop off my mother and pick her up today to remove melanoma this morning. The hospital had postponed it 2 times and didn't want to do it again. I literally dropped her off at the outpatient door and picked her up out there. I still went home and scrubbed like I never have before.

Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among, them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital is operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was to let’s get this damn thing over and done before hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. My surgeon told me that the hospital room I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Anyway I likely be here for about 2-3 days before going back to the real world. But pain killers work pretty well, and this should give me about 2 or 3 strokes on my handicap if/when the course reopen this summer.
I am working from home, bemoaning my fate, and then I read your post and am embarrassed at my pettiness. All the best you Nitwit. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, for removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old, over 70 anyway, and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital seems to be operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was let’s get this damn thing over and done before the hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask here and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. They were screening everyone who walked in the entrance. My surgeon told me that the hospital room, I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home, and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Anyway I will likely be here for about 2-3 days before going back to the real world. But the pain killers work pretty well, and this should give me about 2 or 3 strokes on my handicap if/when the course reopens this summer.

it feels like the calm before the storm. This is a big place but it seems to be well below capacity for now. Let’s hope it stays this quiet.

For those among us who are healthy, enjoy every day. It doesn’t last forever. I’m looking forward to cheering the Lions at the Bev again next fall and i won’t be yelling Down In Front.

I hope this post didn’t become a request for sympathy as my intention was just to pass on my impression of the conditions in a large city hospital right now.
hope you feel better soon. My hospital ( I am a physician) is very surreal right now, we have made all the changes, no visitors, cancelled all elective procedures, and are being very mindful of admission decisions. Very very strange ambience as the place is and feels very empty, with none of the hubbub. Calm before anticipated storm

hope you feel better soon. My hospital ( I am a physician) is very surreal right now, we have made all the changes, no visitors, cancelled all elective procedures, and are being very mindful of admission decisions. Very very strange ambience as the place is and feels very empty, with none of the hubbub. Calm before anticipated storm
Enjoy the quiet time while you can.

Stay safe.

Thanks for the update on the hospitals. I canceled all my appointments and getting my knee fixed until we get back to normal again. Godspeed.

Reactions: Nitwit
Some of you know I suffer from a number of conditions, cancer among them for 16 years now. I had an operation this morning and feel OK, just two incisions as it was laparoscopic in the abdomen, for removal of a non cancerous polyp. I’m old, over 70 anyway, and my profile puts me in a high risk group for the virus. The hospital seems to be operating far below capacity as people have decided to postpone their procedures unless they were life threatening. My attitude was let’s get this damn thing over and done before the hospitals become overloaded. Everyone is wearing a mask here and I’m not allowed any visitors including my wife as to limit the risk that an infected person could possibly breach their boundary. They were screening everyone who walked in the entrance. My surgeon told me that the hospital room I’m in (single room) is probably much more sterile than even my home, and felt confident that my exposure risk was almost nil. Given my suppressed immune system I was glad to hear that.

Hang tough, nitwit.

Get well, nitwit! Think you were smart to get your polyp removed before things go crazy at your local hospital. Now, you need to focus on getting the hell out of the hospital. For all the efforts to make your room sterile, it seems like there are too many stories about nasty infections and/or viruses (e.g., staph) moving around in hospitals.

My respect and prayers are with you sir. #WeAre

You COULD be posting pics of your cutest nurses over the next few days.....gotta believe that’ll get you out of the hospital more quickly (especially when your wife finds out)!

Get Well Soon Nitwit!!! I enjoy hearing your posts regarding travel and food experiences. I'm certain that you will be feeling like your old self in a couple of days and then back out on the course....6' away from your foursome partners, of course.

Which begs another question. If you're playing golf under CV-19 rules, is a 6' putt now a "gimme"?

Heal well Nit!!

A request for sympathy?? Hell no. We’re always here for each other. Get your ass well and get your ass back at the Beav this fall.

Have a speedy recovery!

Nit... stay positive and get well soon. There is a great football season on the horizon.

In an immature effort to bring some cheer to your world I will leave you with this...

ETq2P7WXsAAmAC1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT