ADVERTISEMENT

HWT Future

manmythlegend1

Jan 5, 2014
Has there ever been a more amazing future to the Hwt class than now?

Mason Parris=Cohlton Schultz=Seth Nevills=Anthony Cassioppi<Gable Steveson

I can't remember a more amazing group of HWT's? Maybe I am having short term memory but any of these guys would be #1 heavy for almost any year....EXCEPT..SNYDER and he was not a heavy at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Afw6006
Not in recent memory, for certain. We can also throw into that mix a few guys from 2017: Singletary, Vough, and Hillger. Plus, Duggan looks like he'll go up. And what if Kirkvliet can't stay down at 197?

Just one more reason to thank Gwiz for beating Nelson -- not only did he help us win the title, but that win ended the era of the HWT statues. Ever since, they're a lot more athletic.

During the nineties their were numerous athletic HWTs . Kerry McCoy being an obvious choice , Kurt Angle, and Justin Greenlee just to name a few.

HWT prospects have been few and far between for a couple years. great crop now.

although it's easy to look at what the 2013/2014 became (Black, Stoll, and Haines haven't AA'd) and be more excited about the 2018/2019 group, idk that

Gable-Cass-Nevills-Parris-Schultz-Kerkvliet

will turn out better than

Coon-Black-Nevills-Haines-Stoll. Then, add in Snyder. + at the time, J'den was a 220 SR projected as a HWT.

only time will tell. one thing's for sure though - it's a helluva group.

HWT prospects have been few and far between for a couple years. great crop now.

although it's easy to look at what the 2013/2014 became (Black, Stoll, and Haines haven't AA'd) and be more excited about the 2018/2019 group, idk that

Gable-Cass-Nevills-Parris-Schultz-Kerkvliet

will turn out better than

Coon-Black-Nevills-Haines-Stoll. Then, add in Snyder. + at the time, J'den was a 220 SR projected as a HWT.

only time will tell. one thing's for sure though - it's a helluva group.

You are up late (or early)

Smalls,
Do you think we ever see 220 in college ? If it wasn't for scholarship limits I'm certain that we would have it. It just makes sense for multi reasons.

Not Willie, but, no...we'all not see an 11th weight class, in my opinion.

Not in recent memory, for certain. We can also throw into that mix a few guys from 2017: Singletary, Vough, and Hillger. Plus, Duggan looks like he'll go up. And what if Kirkvliet can't stay down at 197?

Just one more reason to thank Gwiz for beating Nelson -- not only did he help us win the title, but that win ended the era of the HWT statues. Ever since, they're a lot more athletic.
I thought Kerry McCoy ended that era :)

I certainly hope not -- it would very likely be the death of the HWT class from an action standpoint. Back to Dancing Bears Era, as most of the athletic tweeners would cut to 220.
May be true...my take was more about $$$'s.

May be true...my take was more about $$$'s.

Yeah, NO WAY is the NCAA going to take on the cost of and additional weight class, which would mean an extra 33 wrestlers they have to pay for at NCAAs with no additional revenue. Not to mention the additional cost to schools which, IMHO, would hurt D1 wrestling more than it would help.

I wouldn't mind seeing the current 10 weights get spread out a bit with 197 becoming somewhere between 205 and 210.

Last edited:
Reactions: crablegs1
Not to mention that enough of 220 - 285 outstanding HS recruits choose college football.

I say we have a 220 so we can go back to Unlimited and find the next Chris Taylor:p

unnamed4.jpg

Reactions: funkisfun12
I can't remember a weight class with higher two-year turnover than what we'll see at 285. 13 of the top-20, and 14 of the top-25 are Seniors, with another 9 Juniors. That's 23 of 25, leaving only Jordan Wood (FR-Leh), and Austin Myers (SO - Mizz).

I know there's lots of talent coming in, already noted in this thread...just don't remember a weight class this full of SR's/JR's. In 2 years, the rankings should be loaded with FR/SO's.

Reactions: diggerpup
I would be really curious how Snacks does against his brother? I am sure Nick has that older brother "Mental" advantage that having been beating up on him all those years will give you....(This assuming they would wrestle alot growing up even with the age difference)

I can't remember a weight class with higher two-year turnover than what we'll see at 285. 13 of the top-20, and 14 of the top-25 are Seniors, with another 9 Juniors. That's 23 of 25, leaving only Jordan Wood (FR-Leh), and Austin Myers (SO - Mizz).

I know there's lots of talent coming in, already noted in this thread...just don't remember a weight class this full of SR's/JR's. In 2 years, the rankings should be loaded with FR/SO's.
very interesting, That is an incredible amount of turnover....Are the 2018/19 classes that strong or the 20/21 classes that weak? Obviously HWT is harder to excel right away as a freshman because you have to be physically mature to complete with someone who has had weight training and no real diet restrictions(amount of food anyway) for so long.

very interesting, That is an incredible amount of turnover....Are the 2018/19 classes that strong or the 20/21 classes that weak? Obviously HWT is harder to excel right away as a freshman because you have to be physically mature to complete with someone who has had weight training and no real diet restrictions(amount of food anyway) for so long.
I'd call the current group of top-25 guys over-achievers. Among the SR's and JR's, there's guys rated 69th, 108th, 109th, 119th, 127th, 141st, and 156th (this guy was expected to go 197!). There's also 7 guys that were not in the top-150 (or top-200 in 2013) as seniors in high school. Sure, there's Snyder (#1 in 2014 @ 197), Coon (#2 in 2013), and 5 others that are top-20 or so...but I wouldn't call this overall group "blue-chippers" when they arrived in their respective rooms.

Reactions: manmythlegend1
I say we have a 220 so we can go back to Unlimited and find the next Chris Taylor:p

unnamed4.jpg
It was 1984 Nationals at the Meadowlands when I saw Tab Thacker from NC State who was coached by Bod Guzzo originally from Easton ,beat Gary Albright from Nebraska in the NCAA finals. Thacker weighed in for the tournament at 447 pounds. He was huge.

unnamed4.jpg

Reactions: manmythlegend1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT