ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers Friday Night Lights

Obviously I'm not Cael but I can't see pulling Joe Lee's redshirt in the plans this year regardless. It would be a tough situation if he does go 157, all his matches are at 165 right now. We'd have a Joe Smith situation where he'd be seeded last at B1Gs.

I'm obviously not some scout but I think Joe needs the redshirt this year. Watching him at the scuffle, man his ceiling is high. When he's on, he is dangerous (pinned Connor Flynn and nearly majored Wentzel from Pitt, both NQ caliber wrestlers) but I don't think he registered an escape against either Bullard or Wittlake.

It's going to be a tough call for Cael and company, but I think that if Cael sees a realistic opportunity to win at NCAAs with those few - or several - extra points Lee could provide if Berge doesn't return, then like TnT, Cael will pull the trigger. Most on our forum didn't think there was a chance TnT would pull Assad's due to his two ridiculous losses to much weaker talent than Lee lost to, and the likeliness that either Brands or Wilcke would get us at least a few points at NCAAs, and Assad would not do significantly better. But like you said, we're not Cael or TnT, so who knows what's possible. I think Cael will do it just like Tom did if he thinks it will change the outcome...and this year, I think a few points here or there will likely be the difference at NCAAs, especially if Brooks keeps improving and Shakur gets back to form. Also, the way Seth is wrestling I can see him finishing in the top 5. So right now, I can realistically see 6 and perhaps 7 AAs from PSU, with 2 potential (better than 50-50) champs and 2 more potential finalists. I think NCAAs are going to be a battle, hopefully one that is won by Iowa for a change. :)

Every team gets to enter all 10 weights at conferences, the only qualification for conferences is your coach enters you. There, you either qualify by placing within the conference allocated spots or you have to get an "At Large Bid" after (like Stoll did last year)

Truthfully, getting to NCAAs is quite a feat in itself. It's been stated here many times but we're spoiled at PSU fans and here's some perspective, to qualify for the tournament then go 0-2 is an accomplishment in itself. You were one of the Top 33 wrestlers in Division 1 at your class (and making Division 1 is a feat in itself)

Pipher has improved dramatically during his time here but I'm iffy if he'd qualify for NCAAs but would love to be proven wrong. He can hang with basically any 157 pounder as a 149 pounder (if Deakin didn't bonus him, though he was close, then I don't think any 157 pounder would)

He made the Scuffle Finals last year, he pinned Markus Hartman who is an AA contender at 157 this year. He's hell of a wrestler and whatever he ultimately provides in the postseason (assuming Berge is out) wouldn't change that at all.

Do we know what Pipher has been weighing in at for his matches at 157? If he is going into those matches light because he wants to stay at 149, then he would be able to gain weight and wrestle as a full sized 157. Perhaps that would give him a better chance at winning some of the matches he has been hanging close in?

Regardless, I don’t think Pipher at 157 would impact the team race at all. But, I would like him to get a chance to compete without having a size disadvantage. The kid is a warrior and fun to watch. Very easy to root for.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
https://www.cornnation.com/2020/1/2...g-vs-penn-state-preview-huskers-nittany-lions

Check out Nebraska’s predicted chances in each match, some are comical in their Husker belief.

Comical to say the least...who dreamed up that system? :)

White has a 40% chance of beating Joseph, even though he's lost 3 straight, albeit tight matches. Can't see Joseph losing. Also don't think Rasheed or Brooks will lose either, despite Rasheed's 25% chance. He's only going to get better as they season goes along.

The Huskers have a very good team as they showed against Iowa, but staying in tight matches is much different than winning tight matches. And against PSU, I think Nebraska may win 3 matches, despite those incredibly scientific odds. People are writing PSU off far too easy and too early this year, and while I'm no fan of PSU (though am impressed with their achievements), we all know what Cael and company are capable of, which is why I am not the least bit comfortable with that 46 point cushion Intermat is giving us or that ridiculous 67 point cushion from FLO. What a joke. This is going to be a fun NCAA tourney for college wrestling fans...a really battle till the very end, especially if our guys don't bring their fricking A games, and even then it could still be crazy close.

Do we know what Pipher has been weighing in at for his matches at 157? If he is going into those matches light because he wants to stay at 149, then he would be able to gain weight and wrestle as a full sized 157. Perhaps that would give him a better chance at winning some of the matches he has been hanging close in?

Regardless, I don’t think Pipher at 157 would impact the team race at all. But, I would like him to get a chance to compete without having a size disadvantage. The kid is a warrior and fun to watch. Very easy to root for.

Sounds like the way it was for us watching Brands. Fun kid to watch...excellent skills and solid gas tank. But against the much larger opponents that dog just didn't hunt.

Thought David Bray knew wrestling? He picked Nebraska over PSU in whiteboard wars.

LOL. Some people over think things way too much

Can’t wait to break his balls after we smoke Nebby tonight

Reactions: diggerpup
Maybe Bo at 49 and bump Verk instead??
I fear if we pull Joe’s shirt, TNT will counter with Eireman.

T 2/4.

This is the day after Iowa's late registration deadline -- which means it's the day we can stick a fork in the Eierman speculation that he has personally refuted but still won't die.

Reactions: NoVa Lion
T 2/4.

This is the day after Iowa's late registration deadline -- which means it's the day we can stick a fork in the Eierman speculation that he has personally refuted but still won't die.

Yeah, they can't pull his shirt and wrestle him if he isn;t even enrolled in school. Details many like to ignore. :rolleyes:

Who's to say? It could also be Luke Gardner and I'm not sure I've seen anybody confirm that Joe Lee is NOT certified at 157. I'd really like to see Berge get healthy, but I think Joe Lee can certainly wrestle at an All American level if he's certified to do so and given the chance (assuming that 157 isn't too big of a cut for him. I'm just not familiar enough with his situation to say whether it's a crazy thought or not).

I have been told in the past, that Joe has the ability to add or lose weight fairly easily and that he could range from 157 to 174. I don't know if that remains true (was told that a year ago) or if Joe has even attempted to work his way toward 157. Of course, I have no idea whether that option would be considered should Berge not be able to go.

I have been told in the past, that Joe has the ability to add or lose weight fairly easily and that he could range from 157 to 174. I don't know if that remains true (was told that a year ago) or if Joe has even attempted to work his way toward 157. Of course, I have no idea whether that option would be considered should Berge not be able to go.
IF he is certified at 157 ... then purely based upon NCAA descent rules: he last weighed in at the Scuffle, so he could go 157 next weekend. (That assumes he weighed in at exactly 165.0 at Scuffle Day 2. To wrestle tonight, he would've had to weigh 164.5 or less on 1/2.)

I'm skeptical about 157 certification since he is listed at 165 on the official roster, not 157/165. If anyone with Track certification access can post his cert weight, that would be helpful.

Of course, the descent also depends on whether or not he still physically can, and if he has started dropping. Plus if he and the coaches want him to.

It's going to be a tough call for Cael and company, but I think that if Cael sees a realistic opportunity to win at NCAAs with those few - or several - extra points Lee could provide if Berge doesn't return, then like TnT, Cael will pull the trigger. Most on our forum didn't think there was a chance TnT would pull Assad's due to his two ridiculous losses to much weaker talent than Lee lost to, and the likeliness that either Brands or Wilcke would get us at least a few points at NCAAs, and Assad would not do significantly better. But like you said, we're not Cael or TnT, so who knows what's possible. I think Cael will do it just like Tom did if he thinks it will change the outcome...and this year, I think a few points here or there will likely be the difference at NCAAs, especially if Brooks keeps improving and Shakur gets back to form. Also, the way Seth is wrestling I can see him finishing in the top 5. So right now, I can realistically see 6 and perhaps 7 AAs from PSU, with 2 potential (better than 50-50) champs and 2 more potential finalists. I think NCAAs are going to be a battle, hopefully one that is won by Iowa for a change. :)

just a ‘thank you’ for not only a good wrestling post but also a ‘courteous’ one also and using the correct spelling of Sanderson’s first name ..I go to HR to read frequently and enjoy good discussion and banter but I stop reading all posts at the first misuse of Sanderson’s first name as the post loses all credibility for me at that point. I do realize that it is ‘your board’ ...so I’m not criticizing HR as much as offering my own commentary and opinion

I actually liked the write up despite a few factual errors. Nebraska has a solid team. I would bump up Nebraska's chances at 125 to about 50%. I would drop them a bit at 141,165,174,184, and 197. This is an exciting opportunity for both teams.

I actually liked the write up despite a few factual errors. Nebraska has a solid team. I would bump up Nebraska's chances at 125 to about 50%. I would drop them a bit at 141,165,174,184, and 197. This is an exciting opportunity for both teams.
I agree. The 125 match has got to be a straight 50-50.
I expect Red to compete hard with Lee and believe come March Nick will probably be 4, 5 or even 6 points ahead of Red. My concern is this is still a week the staff historically stresses the gas tanks through the week and sends the guys out on a Friday with expectations to compete through the fatigue and win.
I would expect Joseph to neutralize White's leg attacks and wear White out with ties and hand fighting and win a low scoring match. Mikey has nothing to threaten Hall with, but like I wrote earlier -tired legs might be common for the Lions tonight.
Brooks will be fun to watch tonight. High quality competition in a full foreign gym.
Shak is not cutting any weight, so despite a tough week of practice I expect Shak to compete with improved conditioning.
Nevills will look solid tonight.

Reactions: slushhead
IF he is certified at 157 ... then purely based upon NCAA descent rules: he last weighed in at the Scuffle, so he could go 157 next weekend. (That assumes he weighed in at exactly 165.0 at Scuffle Day 2. To wrestle tonight, he would've had to weigh 164.5 or less on 1/2.)

I'm skeptical about 157 certification since he is listed at 165 on the official roster, not 157/165. If anyone with Track certification access can post his cert weight, that would be helpful.

Of course, the descent also depends on whether or not he still physically can, and if he has started dropping. Plus if he and the coaches want him to.
Can I get an explanation of what it means to be certified at a particular weigh? Still learning - thanks.

What he is listed at now on track is the lowest weight class he has competed at or weighed in at while certifying.

If someone has a snapshot of if what he was listed at before competition it MAY give a clue to us. A lot of times guys trying to cert at 165 will weigh in at certs between 165 and 174 and be listed as 174 before competition starts. This does not always hold true, however, as some guys get under their desired cert weight at certifications (especially the light weghts) and some guys may weigh in more than one weight class above their desired cert (especially the heaviers).

But rule of thumb is one weight down from initial listing - probably good for 2 out of 3 guys. Of course I have no clue what Joe Lee was listed at 90 days ago though.

Can I get an explanation of what it means to be certified at a particular weigh? Still learning - thanks.
Just before the season starts, every wrestler is weighed while in a fully hydrated state and given a body fat check. Fully hydrated is proven by urinalysis -- if they aren't hydrated, they have to do it all over again.

The purpose is to identify a minimum safe weight (i.e. certification weight) for each wrestler. I don't recall the exact details but offhand think it's based upon min 5% body fat and a minimum hydration level.

So if Lee certified at 165, then he can go 165 and up, but the NCAA has determined 157 is an unsafe weight for him to compete at.

Last edited:
Reactions: BVSt.Paul
What he is listed at now on track is the lowest weight class he has competed at or weighed in at while certifying.

If someone has a snapshot of if what he was listed at before competition it MAY give a clue to us. A lot of times guys trying to cert at 165 will weigh in at certs between 165 and 174 and be listed as 174 before competition starts. This does not always hold true, however, as some guys get under their desired cert weight at certifications (especially the light weghts) and some guys may weigh in more than one weight class above their desired cert (especially the heaviers).

But rule of thumb is one weight down from initial listing - probably good for 2 out of 3 guys. Of course I have no clue what Joe Lee was listed at 90 days ago though.
Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing here:

I'm looking at the PSU roster on Track right now, and it lists Joe at 174. Searching for him on Track results in "Joe Lee Penn State 174." But of course all of his listed matches are at 165.

I don't have access to his weight loss plan (the scale icon). That's where coaches are required to enter his certification data, right?

Agreed, the Track roster weights are almost always 1-2 classes higher than reality -- otherwise we would not have a single 125 on our team.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing here:

I'm looking at the PSU roster on Track right now, and it lists Joe at 174. Searching for him on Track results in "Joe Lee Penn State 174." But of course all of his listed matches are at 165.

I don't have access to his weight loss plan (the scale icon). That's where coaches are required to enter his certification data, right?

Agreed, the Track roster weights are almost always 1-2 classes higher than reality -- otherwise we would not have a single 125 on our team.
I stand corrected. There was a time when competing lowered the weight class listed on the track roster, but it is not that way for the PSU roster or a HS roster I just checked. Looks like only initial cert weigh in is listed. It could be that this responsibility now defaults to the team "track guy" and well.

Well, to me that tells me he weighed in between 165 and 174 for weight certs. IMO not impossible that he is certed at 157 but no slam dunk either.

How do people see Brooks-Venz going down? Is Brooks too good on his feet for Venz? Will Venz be extra hyped after a loss? What do ya think?
Venz is one of those guys that can beat about anyone and lose to a lot of guys. Iowa fans might have been surprised by Assad's win - I wasn't, Assad has a good style vs. Venz - stay in position and let the match come to you. You put yourself in risky positions against Venz you often find yourself on your back.

Aaron, on the other hand, is a bit more of a risk taker from what I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Venz teaches him a lesson tonight. Of course, Brooks p-pounding him 12-4 or something like that wouldn't surprise me either. Very difficult to predict a Venz match.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I agree. The 125 match has got to be a straight 50-50.
I expect Red to compete hard with Lee and believe come March Nick will probably be 4, 5 or even 6 points ahead of Red. My concern is this is still a week the staff historically stresses the gas tanks through the week and sends the guys out on a Friday with expectations to compete through the fatigue and win.
I would expect Joseph to neutralize White's leg attacks and wear White out with ties and hand fighting and win a low scoring match. Mikey has nothing to threaten Hall with, but like I wrote earlier -tired legs might be common for the Lions tonight.
Brooks will be fun to watch tonight. High quality competition in a full foreign gym.
Shak is not cutting any weight, so despite a tough week of practice I expect Shak to compete with improved conditioning.
Nevills will look solid tonight.

Is there any inside info that this Neb dual is a "train through" dual like Wisconsin last year?

Just before the season starts, every wrestler is weighed while in a fully hydrated state and given a body fat check. Fully hydrated is proven by urinalysis -- if they aren't hydrated, they have to do it all over again.

The purpose is to identify a minimum safe weight (i.e. certification weight) for each wrestler. I don't recall the exact details but offhand think it's based upon min 5% body fat and a minimum hydration level.

So if Lee certified at 165, then he can go 165 and up, but the NCAA has determined 157 is an unsafe weight for him to compete at.
This is bs. Google that shit lol

To add...

-- A urine specific gravity of 1.02 or lower is ok, and the process can go to the next step. Higher, and the wrestler must return, no sooner than 24 hours later to get another specific gravity check.
-- Body density calculation is then done, by calipers, hydrostatic weighing or bod pod. Most, I understand, use calipers.
-- This body fat (%) determination is then used in a formula (or formulas) to get to the wrestlers weight with 5% body fat. This weight becomes the minimum wrestling weight, and the weight class above it is his lowest, or certified weight class.
-- What follows is the descent plan, if needed, before a wrestler can officially wrestle at his certified weight.

Venz is one of those guys that can beat about anyone and lose to a lot of guys. Iowa fans might have been surprised by Assad's win - I wasn't, Assad has a good style vs. Venz - stay in position and let the match come to you. You put yourself in risky positions against Venz you often find yourself on your back.

Aaron, on the other hand, is a bit more of a risk taker from what I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Venz teaches him a lesson tonight. Of course, Brooks p-pounding him 12-4 or something like that wouldn't surprise me either. Very difficult to predict a Venz match.

@dicemen99 your crystal ball seems to be in focus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT