ADVERTISEMENT

Hudson Clement, a senior at Martinsburg HS,

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
scored an all time record EIGHT TDs in the state championship game. Anyone know if he is on the radar of our recruiters?

7l8wd42o69g61.jpg

He is twice as good as this guy.

scored an all time record EIGHT TDs in the state championship game. Anyone know if he is on the radar of our recruiters?

He is not on Rivals and according to the google machine, he appears to be committed to DII Shepherd university, located pretty close to his home.

Let me just say, that if a kid committed to a DII school, with ZERO offers at the FBS or FCS level, is on radar of PSU recruiters, they should be fired.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
He is not on Rivals and according to the google machine, he appears to be committed to DII Shepherd university, located pretty close to his home.

Let me just say, that if a kid committed to a DII school, with ZERO offers at the FBS or FCS level, is on radar of PSU recruiters, they should be fired.
The Broncos have a D-3 lineman starting right now. He probably got zero offers too.

Reactions: NittanyBuff24
The Broncos have a D-3 lineman starting right now. He probably got zero offers too.
I like cheese, but I don't see what that, or the fact that a D3 lineman is on the broncos has to do with evaluating HS players.

Look, here's the bottom line....As a Top ~15ish program, PSU should not be reaching for players to extend scholarship offers to. There are plenty of less risky options to fill the roster of PSU if the staff is remotely doing their job.(This thread feels like the one a few years back on that LB that wound up at Lehigh - forget his name). I'll repeat what I said back in the day about John Urshel. The fact that he wound up being an excellent FB player and excellent person doesn't change the fact that he only wound up at PSU because JVP was not running a well-functioning program at that time. There was no excuse that PSU recruiting should have been in a position that it was offering a kid that had ZERO scholarship offers 2 months after the conclusion of his senior football season, just to fill a recruiting class.

Going back to the OP, we have a kid playing in WV. He has a HUDL page so he has film. If his camp took the time to put the film together and post it, you gotta assume that they sent it to some schools. Despite all this, not one FCS school has offered, not one Group of 5 school, not one 2nd/3rd tier P5 school. Literally no school able to do so has offered him a scholarship. There are diamonds in the rough, but PSU should not be in the rough diamond business.
Franklin is recruiting well enough that he is turning down 3* players that would commit to PSU tomorrow. I'll repeat...if this PSU staff needs to start reaching for Hudson Clement or searching for John Urshel, they should be immediately fired, because it means they aren't performing well in their job.

Reactions: WeARE

Please provide the links showing he is committed to Shepherd, LOL. (BTW, Shepherd is in the Dll Final Four.) NOT committed to Shepherd. I know the family, and have talked to his dad. Has preferred walk-on status at WVU and Marshall, and will likely get D1 offers from both of them, at least.

I like cheese, but I don't see what that, or the fact that a D3 lineman is on the broncos has to do with evaluating HS players.

Look, here's the bottom line....As a Top ~15ish program, PSU should not be reaching for players to extend scholarship offers to. There are plenty of less risky options to fill the roster of PSU if the staff is remotely doing their job.(This thread feels like the one a few years back on that LB that wound up at Lehigh - forget his name). I'll repeat what I said back in the day about John Urshel. The fact that he wound up being an excellent FB player and excellent person doesn't change the fact that he only wound up at PSU because JVP was not running a well-functioning program at that time. There was no excuse that PSU recruiting should have been in a position that it was offering a kid that had ZERO scholarship offers 2 months after the conclusion of his senior football season, just to fill a recruiting class.

Going back to the OP, we have a kid playing in WV. He has a HUDL page so he has film. If his camp took the time to put the film together and post it, you gotta assume that they sent it to some schools. Despite all this, not one FCS school has offered, not one Group of 5 school, not one 2nd/3rd tier P5 school. Literally no school able to do so has offered him a scholarship. There are diamonds in the rough, but PSU should not be in the rough diamond business.
Franklin is recruiting well enough that he is turning down 3* players that would commit to PSU tomorrow. I'll repeat...if this PSU staff needs to start reaching for Hudson Clement or searching for John Urshel, they should be immediately fired, because it means they aren't performing well in their job.
We are not recently a top 15 (ish or otherwise) team. Spare me.

We should also not be "reaching" for the great athlete that takes 3 years to be a great football player.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

I get your point, but it is a good thing that philosophy wasn't in place when we offered Conlan the final 'ship in his class.

[“Going back to the original OP, we have a kid playing in WV. There are diamonds in the rough, but PSU should not be in the rough diamond business”.]

I don’t know anything about this kid or how good he actually is. But I know another kid that played “in WV” a few years back at a high school about one fourth the size of Martinsburg that was exponentially better than any of plodding, dancing mules we have at Penn State right now. In fact, he would be the best back in the Big Ten, if not the entire Country right now.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe this WV hillbilly’s name was something along the lines of…..hmmmm…..I believe it was something like “Curt Warner”. Anybody ever hear of him????

These “great” RBs we have on our team right now were all highly recruited. Big deal. My guess is that this kid could easily run rings around them all, they are that pathetically bad and SLOOOOOW.

If he can’t? Who cares? At least I have a hunch that down there in blue collar West Virginia, they’ve at least taught him how to make his own holes in short yardage situations, and not freakin dance around like some bobble headed clown.

Reactions: cigarowl
[“Going back to the original OP, we have a kid playing in WV. There are diamonds in the rough, but PSU should not be in the rough diamond business”.]

I don’t know anything about this kid or how good he actually is. But I know another kid that played “in WV” a few years back at a high school about one fourth the size of Martinsburg that was exponentially better than any of plodding, dancing mules we have at Penn State right now. In fact, he would be the best back in the Big Ten, if not the entire Country right now.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe this WV hillbilly’s name was something along the lines Kof…..hmmmm…..I believe it was something like “Curt Warner”. Anybody ever hear of him????

These “great” RBs we have on our team right now were all highly recruited. Big deal. My guess is that this kid could easily run rings around them all, they are that pathetically bad and SLOOOOOW.

If he can’t? Who cares? At least I have a hunch that down there in blue collar West Virginia, they’ve at least taught him how to make his own holes in short yardage situations, and not freakin dance around like some bobble headed clown.
The problem is less the backs than it is the line. If you were to run twenty times and killed in the backfield 19 times, you would change your style or method. You start hesitating, start looking for holes, start cutting away from the called spot and running into d players .

As a running back, you have to have faith in your line. You come flying in expecting them to open a hole. Sometimes a d player is right in front of you and just as you expect to get hit a pulling guard or tackle blasts him giving you a huge opening. When he doesn’t showup a few plays in a row, you start doubting, go slow, look for holes, and basically suck.

It’s a team sport.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe this WV hillbilly’s name was something along the lines of…..hmmmm…..I believe it was something like “Curt Warner”. Anybody ever hear of him????

We have Brenton Strange on our roster now. He went to Parkersburg. Martinsburg smoked them in the championship game.

We have Brenton Strange on our roster now. He went to Parkersburg. Martinsburg smoked them in the championship game.
Let's be clear...playing in WV is not necessarily a disqualified, but WV is not known to have top quality football talent, neither is NY or Conn. A kid scoring 8TDs against a WV school is not necessarily as impressive as if it has been done against a top level PA or OH team. By the same token, it's no surprise that we see more highly-rated prospects coming from big schools playing against top competition, regardless of the state.
Bottom-line remains the same. PSU is a top 15-ish program. That means you should be whale hunting. It also means you DON'T scour WV for prospects with ZERO offers, 1 week before signing day.

This has nothing to do with how good young Hudson might be. It's all about focusing limited resources where they will produce the most benefit. A Top 15 program cannot win by investing time to have DII kids from WV "on their radar." It's simple time management and economics.

• Haha
Reactions: demlion
Let's be clear...playing in WV is not necessarily a disqualified, but WV is not known to have top quality football talent, neither is NY or Conn. A kid scoring 8TDs against a WV school is not necessarily as impressive as if it has been done against a top level PA or OH team. By the same token, it's no surprise that we see more highly-rated prospects coming from big schools playing against top competition, regardless of the state.
Bottom-line remains the same. PSU is a top 15-ish program. That means you should be whale hunting. It also means you DON'T scour WV for prospects with ZERO offers, 1 week before signing day.

This has nothing to do with how good young Hudson might be. It's all about focusing limited resources where they will produce the most benefit. A Top 15 program cannot win by investing time to have DII kids from WV "on their radar." It's simple time management and economics.
Not a Dll kid as I told you. You have nothing but speculation on that. All I asked was whether he was on their radar. Now he is the Gatorade POY for WV.

Reactions: BarryPSU
Not a Dll kid as I told you. You have nothing but speculation on that. All I asked was whether he was on their radar. Now he is the Gatorade POY for WV.
I mean, you are typing this on the internet so I assume you have the ability to do a web search for "Hudson Clement" as I did.
He does not have a Rivals profile and I could not find one on TOS.
I found an article on some page on TOS that said he was committed to DII Shepherd University in Charles Town, WV, which is about 20 minutes from Martinsburg.

So, based all available evidence (No evidence of a D1 schollie offer, evidence of a commitment to a DII school) it is much more correct to say he is a "DII kid." It is far more speculative to say that he isn't.

But again, none of this matters to my core point. Top 15 college FB programs have no business keeping tabs on kids that aren't even getting a sniff from FCS schools. They simply don't have the cycles and resources to do so, and if they spend December scouring the backwater towns* of America for unrated kids, it means they aren't doing their job to recruit kids with a much greater probability of success at the P5 college level

**and before you key on this, I have spent a lot of time in and around Martinsburg, WV. It's a fine place with good people - and has one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever eaten at - but the point stands about rough diamond hunting in December.

• Haha
Reactions: LfthandGolf
I mean, you are typing this on the internet so I assume you have the ability to do a web search for "Hudson Clement" as I did.
He does not have a Rivals profile and I could not find one on TOS.
I found an article on some page on TOS that said he was committed to DII Shepherd University in Charles Town, WV, which is about 20 minutes from Martinsburg.

So, based all available evidence (No evidence of a D1 schollie offer, evidence of a commitment to a DII school) it is much more correct to say he is a "DII kid." It is far more speculative to say that he isn't.

But again, none of this matters to my core point. Top 15 college FB programs have no business keeping tabs on kids that aren't even getting a sniff from FCS schools. They simply don't have the cycles and resources to do so, and if they spend December scouring the backwater towns* of America for unrated kids, it means they aren't doing their job to recruit kids with a much greater probability of success at the P5 college level

**and before you key on this, I have spent a lot of time in and around Martinsburg, WV. It's a fine place with good people - and has one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever eaten at - but the point stands about rough diamond hunting in December.
Shepherd College is not in Charlestown. It is in SHEPHERDstown, WV. Apparently you don't know as much as you think. There is NO evidence of any commitment to any school at this time. So, if our recruiters were posting in this thread they would have no idea who he is because he is not on Rivals? Sheesh. I would like to think that within 3 hours of PSU they might have a slightly better idea of who is out there.

While I don't completely disagree that we shouldn't have to look for diamonds in the rough, if our coaches have to look at Rivals or 24x7 rankings or who else has offered to determine if a kid is a player who can help us or not, they should be immediately fired.

One of our greatest players ever is from a small town in W.Va. He worked out all right.

Last edited:
While I don't completely disagree that we shouldn't have to look for diamonds in the rough, if our coaches have to look at Rivals or 24x7 rankings or who else has offered to determine if a kid is a player who can help us or not, they should be immediately fired.
I suspect these things are more of a correlation than causation.

What does Curt Warner have to do with anything?
Just pointing out that some good players come out of West Virginia. A guy named Randy Moss is from West Virginia as well. Not saying this Clement kid is in the same universe as either, but Moss didn't have 8 TDs in the state finals, and he won 2 of them.

Last edited:

Just saw that Martinsburg was 4-0 against teams from Ohio and Virginia. They avenged their only loss of the year, by 5 points to another WV team, by blowing that team out in the Playoffs 42-7. They then went on to win the State Championship Game by 41 points.

This team obviously isn’t afraid to play out of state competition from states like Virginia and Ohio. Three of those four out of state games were on the road. And one was against the number two ranked 5-A team in Virginia.

This kid looks like he’s played some pretty good competition, and Martinsburg looks like they could kick some butt in Pennsylvania. If that kid isn’t on our radar now, maybe we should start looking at him.

From what I’ve seen on tape, this kid has great hands and has made some fabulous circus catches, runs really well after the catch, and has decent speed. Looks to be a legitimate 6’1”. At least worth a look.

Someone won Power ball last night. Should I empty my retirement account and buy Power Ball tickets?

Reactions: heckmans
He using that as evidence despite his performance no one has deemed in worthy of a scholarship at this level. A kid on a state championship team is not going unnoticed.

Reactions: heckmans
He using that as evidence despite his performance no one has deemed in worthy of a scholarship at this level. A kid on a state championship team is not going unnoticed.
Someone gets it :)
Some on this board will say that having an opinion about obvious things is not allowed because "Coaches know better." Then, when ZERO professional football coaches from 258 FBS/FCS programs, who evaluate players for a living, deem a kid worth of a schollie, it is suggested that every single one is incorrectly evaluating him. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.

Someone gets it :)
Some on this board will say that having an opinion about obvious things is not allowed because "Coaches know better." Then, when ZERO professional football coaches from 258 FBS/FCS programs, who evaluate players for a living, deem a kid worth of a schollie, it is suggested that every single one is incorrectly evaluating him. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.
If you guys want me to, I can come up with more threads to waste the whole day on worthless discussions.

There is some pretty terrible high school football out there......I attended a few games this year and there are teams that I wonder what they do all week or if they even practice. So scoring touchdowns, depending on the level of competition means little.
I did see Southern Columbia play this year and the Garcia kid is a pretty good RB. I believe he's headed for Kent State. That should give you some insight into how good a RB has to be to attract P5 interest.

I think Franklin has been ahead of the ratings, offering guys like Fields before they garner 5* attention from the services. I'm pretty sure most coaches have their own evaluation criteria. LOL

I think Franklin has been ahead of the ratings, offering guys like Fields before they garner 5* attention from the services. I'm pretty sure most coaches have their own evaluation criteria. LOL
I think CJF has a pretty good eye for talent.

I believe several years ago Martinsburg was ranked nationally in the top 20 HS teams by USA Today. Also don't forget about Curt Warner, a great PSU running back came from tiny Pineville, WV

I believe several years ago Martinsburg was ranked nationally in the top 20 HS teams by USA Today. Also don't forget about Curt Warner, a great PSU running back came from tiny Pineville, WV
Wyoming County, WV.

I guess I'll repeat myself, what does Curt Warner have to do with a kid that that ZERO schollie offers from the 258 FBS and FCS football programs?
The point of mentioning WV is that it is a small state with a smaller pool of talent that others. Generally speaking, it's like playing in PA at a 2A school vs 4A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT