ADVERTISEMENT

HR predicts Iowa NC - silliness

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
https://iowawrestlingblog.com/2018/08/desanto-is-here/

That thread and many more, it's a constant theme.

Got to like their enthusiasm, no doubt Spencer is in a league of his own, but they are getting wound up way too fast. It's as if 4 returning national champions is a weakness. I think we will have several upside surprises this year with some new faces.

We will score more team points than last year. Slightly better bonus team wide + Berge + RBY + Teas/Teske + changes from 184-HwT > than the lost of Zain's points by a few. 145 points min barring injury. Despite their significant gains I'll be surprised if the Hawks get more than 125. 2019/2020 is more of a horse race.

https://iowawrestlingblog.com/2018/08/desanto-is-here/

That thread and many more, it's a constant theme.

Got to like their enthusiasm, no doubt Spencer is in a league of his own, but they are getting wound up way too fast. It's as if 4 returning national champions is a weakness. I think we will have several upside surprises this year with some new faces.

We will score more team points than last year. Slightly better bonus team wide + Berge + RBY + Teas/Teske + changes from 184-HwT > than the lost of Zain's points by a few. 145 points min barring injury. Despite their significant gains I'll be surprised if the Hawks get more than 125. 2019/2020 is more of a horse race.

This is Todd Connor's blog. He thought they have had a chance for a national championship last year, the year before, the year before, the year before, etc. I'm pretty sure he has been optimistic for AA's from every single Iowa starter since the blog started.

The above is not hyperbole. He is a huge, huge fan. It's as if Malone had blog about PSU wrestling. It's fun for Iowa fans to read this stuff, just like it would be for us if we had Malone blogging. I would guess that Iowa fans on the HR that know wrestling probably take his stuff and round down by 50%. Kind of like I do when I talk to my buddy who's dad is a huge PSU wrestling booster.

Nothing to see here, nothing to make fun of in terms of Iowa fandom IMO.

You have a point. To be honest summer boredome has me jumping over there to the dark sidesfar too much in a desperate attempt to find something, anything PSU relevant or some late breaking news. On balance it proves a negative experience most of the time.

I wish flo were a little more prolific, especially in the areas of lineup impacts, who really is going weight, validating or shooting down rumors. Maybe their travel budgets can't support much outside of meets this time of year, or the people in the know, know not to talk to them. Even their recent 125 assessment pretty much ignored any meat relative to Teas vs Teske, frustrating

Last edited:
You have a point. To be honest summer boredome has me jumping over there to the dark sidesfar too much in a desperate attempt to find something, anything PSU relevant or some late breaking news. On balance it proves a negative experience most of the time.

I wish flo were a little more prolific, especially in the areas of lineup impacts, who really is going weight, validating or shooting down rumors. Maybe their travel budgets can't support much outside of meets this time of year, or the people in the know, know not to talk to them. Even their recent 125 assessment pretty much ignored any meat relative to Teas vs Teske, frustrating

You want information during a time when access isn’t really permitted and practices are voluntary, drink an IPA daily and wash down a Valium for two months until practices begin. Call Jammies, he got a connection and Xanax as well I heard

This is Todd Connor's blog. He thought they have had a chance for a national championship last year, the year before, the year before, the year before, etc. I'm pretty sure he has been optimistic for AA's from every single Iowa starter since the blog started.

The above is not hyperbole. He is a huge, huge fan. It's as if Malone had blog about PSU wrestling. It's fun for Iowa fans to read this stuff, just like it would be for us if we had Malone blogging. I would guess that Iowa fans on the HR that know wrestling probably take his stuff and round down by 50%. Kind of like I do when I talk to my buddy who's dad is a huge PSU wrestling booster.

Todd C = Amalone = John from Michigan = RutgersAl

Just saying here. If Stoll is healthy Iowa has a legitimate shot at finishing second this year.
A really good 3 days and the Hawks could finish with a champ, a couple others in the finals and maybe 7AAs totaling something close to 120 points.

I am not saying this is automatic, but something not out of the realm of legitimately possible with a really good 3 day performance.

Reactions: tabenn
Cue Wildturk complaining about bringing over an HR thread topic in 3, 2, 1........

2020 or bust.

#thatsafactjack
2020 is a tad difficult to look at because Spencer is a legit ORS candidate, but assuming everybody is eligible

125 Iowa big
133 PSU
141 PSU
149 Iowa slight
157 PSU
165 PSU
174 PSU
184 PSU
197 toss up to slight Iowa
Hwt toss up

A PSU Iowa heads up tells me 2020 just puts one more year on the Iowa hasn't won since when odometer.

Reactions: tikk10
2020 is a tad difficult to look at because Spencer is a legit ORS candidate, but assuming everybody is eligible

125 Iowa big
133 PSU
141 PSU
149 Iowa slight
157 PSU
165 PSU
174 PSU
184 PSU
197 toss up to slight Iowa
Hwt toss up

A PSU Iowa heads up tells me 2020 just puts one more year on the Iowa hasn't won since when odometer.
125 Iowa- agree
133 Iowa - lets see what the unproven PSU guys do before putting him ahead of a somewhat proven DeSanto. Have to give this one to Iowa until then.
141 PSU -Agree Lee will just get tougher
149 Iowa -do not have a proven entity for PSU here
157 ?? Who will PSU have and who effective will Young be for Iowa Toss up at this point in time.
165 PSU Never ever bet against VC in a big match Got to go with PSU here also.
174 PSU again. I wonder if there is a way I could clone his genes with mine and have a child with my wife. Oh, did I say that out loud?
184 Iowa -Who will PSU have that is going to beat Bowman or Cash? I would pick tossup or Iowa here.
197 Iowa big in my opinion.
HWT Iowa again although neither guy is college tested and we don't know who will man the post for PSU. It will take a heck of a man to beat Cass.

I have Iowa the favorite at this point in time. Now, I will say that Cael gets his guys ready and they improve amazingly throughout the season and they show up in March. However, unless you want to sound like a total homer, you cannot pick it PSU 6 Iowa 2-3 and toss up 1-2. I have Iowa at 4 weights and a slight favorite to favorite at 3 weights. Right ow the predictions for PSU is 3 for 2020. Lets revisit this in December of 2019 and see if it has changed.

125 - Iowa - with Spencer on his way to an undefeated season and a run at Nolf for the Hodge
133 - Iowa - I agree have to put Desanto as a favorite right now vs RBY, unless he punches a ref or something along the way
141 - PSU - a definite with Lee, close but probable with Verk
149 - PSU - a definite with Berge, close but probable with Verk
157 - PSU - What is the ??? i have zero doubt on who and bonus IMO
165 - PSU - that was a one time occurrence last year, easy 4+ point victory
174 - PSU
184 - PSU big with Bo, toss up with Shak - I think Kem might struggle early in the year jumping up 2 weights
197- PSU - comfortable with Bo, close ti toss up with with Shak
HWT - Iowa - I am not yet convinced Cassar can handle the elite biggest hwts like Stoll. PSU win with Nevills

Iowa wins from 2-4 matches Max. Crazy how many unknowns remain for our lineup at this point, but some of the swapping at the high end won't change the outcome too much

125 - Iowa - with Spencer on his way to an undefeated season and a run at Nolf for the Hodge
133 - Iowa - I agree have to put Desanto as a favorite right now vs RBY, unless he punches a ref or something along the way
174 - PSU
184 - PSU big with Bo, toss up with Shak - I think Kem might struggle early in the year jumping up 2 weights
HWT - Iowa - I am not yet convinced Cassar can handle the elite biggest hwts like Stoll. PSU win with Nevills

Iowa wins from 2-4 matches Max. Crazy how many unknowns remain for our lineup at this point, but some of the swapping at the high end won't change the outcome too much
You are predicting the 2019 season. We are predicting the 2020 season. 2019 is all PSU. I agree with that.

Reactions: D3wrestler
174 - PSU

This year Iowa has Spencer all day every day. After that if they wrestle a dual Penn State will run the table until heavyweight which right now is unknown and so a toss up.

I'd bet a substantial sum that Aaron Brooks could beat Bowman or Cash TODAY.
Good point, but until he puts on the singlet, it is tough to predict a victory for him. Chances are pretty good that in December of 2019 or January of 2020, I will change my picks. But for now, I have to go with a known entity.

125 Iowa- agree
133 Iowa - lets see what the unproven PSU guys do before putting him ahead of a somewhat proven DeSanto. Have to give this one to Iowa until then.
141 PSU -Agree Lee will just get tougher
149 Iowa -do not have a proven entity for PSU here
157 ?? Who will PSU have and who effective will Young be for Iowa Toss up at this point in time.
165 PSU Never ever bet against VC in a big match Got to go with PSU here also.
174 PSU again. I wonder if there is a way I could clone his genes with mine and have a child with my wife. Oh, did I say that out loud?
184 Iowa -Who will PSU have that is going to beat Bowman or Cash? I would pick tossup or Iowa here.
197 Iowa big in my opinion.
HWT Iowa again although neither guy is college tested and we don't know who will man the post for PSU. It will take a heck of a man to beat Cass.

I have Iowa the favorite at this point in time. Now, I will say that Cael gets his guys ready and they improve amazingly throughout the season and they show up in March. However, unless you want to sound like a total homer, you cannot pick it PSU 6 Iowa 2-3 and toss up 1-2. I have Iowa at 4 weights and a slight favorite to favorite at 3 weights. Right ow the predictions for PSU is 3 for 2020. Lets revisit this in December of 2019 and see if it has changed.
As you said, Penn State guys improve and show up in March.
So explaining my 2020 thought process in a bit more detail.

125 Even if Teske ends up being the next Nico, Spencer is Spencer. Iowa.

133 RBY or Teasdale in their second season at PSU. My opinion is based upon the current PSU track record which is the exceptional HS kids coming in, develop into exceptional college talent while here. I think DeSanto will truly prosper with Spencer and Terry Brards offering wrestling development as well as emotional support.
RBY will surpass DeSanto by November this year and I expect by Teasdale's second season Gavin will be a beast. So I give a Penn State the edge here.

141 Some think Nick will be 149 by 2020, but I believe in 2020 Nick Lee is a 141 pounder and in the top 2. Iowa will have a solid Murin who may be AA caliber.

149 Iowa will have Lugo and PSU should have a really solid Verkleeren. Right now I give Iowa an edge here.

157 Yes Iowa will have a solid Young, Penn State will have Berge who is probably coming off an AA season at 149. This is Penn State all day.

165 and 174. This is where Iowa's biggest problem comes with a head to head matchup with PSU in 2020. The Hawks probable second and third best wrestlers have to wrestle Joesph and Hall.

184 will be Aaron Brooks. Iowa does not have anybody who is going to matchup favorably with Aaron.

197 Warner is going to be damn good. Penn State will have Beard. Right now I have Iowa as a slight edge. You with your black and gold glasses think Warner is going to be great and that is a perception with merit. My blue and white glasses show me PSU big guys develop more so than Iowa big guys. Right now I know Warner is going to be damn good, I am guessing with Beard so I give the edge to Iowa.

Heavyweight. I just don't know enough to make an educated guess. You guys will have redshirt freshman Cassioppi. Penn State will have either a 6th year senior Cassar, and how good is he at hwt, or redshirt freshman Seth Nevills or true freshman Kerkvliet.

My leans are definitely influenced by my fandom, but generally my take will be close.

As you said, Penn State guys improve and show up in March.
So explaining my 2020 thought process in a bit more detail.

125 Even if Teske ends up being the next Nico, Spencer is Spencer. Iowa.

133 RBY or Teasdale in their second season at PSU. My opinion is based upon the current PSU track record which is the exceptional HS kids coming in, develop into exceptional college talent while here. I think DeSanto will truly prosper with Spencer and Terry Brards offering wrestling development as well as emotional support.
RBY will surpass DeSanto by November this year and I expect by Teasdale's second season Gavin will be a beast. So I give a Penn State the edge here.

141 Some think Nick will be 149 by 2020, but I believe in 2020 Nick Lee is a 141 pounder and in the top 2. Iowa will have a solid Murin who may be AA caliber.

149 Iowa will have Lugo and PSU should have a really solid Verkleeren. Right now I give Iowa an edge here.

157 Yes Iowa will have a solid Young, Penn State will have Berge who is probably coming off an AA season at 149. This is Penn State all day.

165 and 174. This is where Iowa's biggest problem comes with a head to head matchup with PSU in 2020. The Hawks probable second and third best wrestlers have to wrestle Joesph and Hall.

184 will be Aaron Brooks. Iowa does not have anybody who is going to matchup favorably with Aaron.

197 Warner is going to be damn good. Penn State will have Beard. Right now I have Iowa as a slight edge. You with your black and gold glasses think Warner is going to be great and that is a perception with merit. My blue and white glasses show me PSU big guys develop more so than Iowa big guys. Right now I know Warner is going to be damn good, I am guessing with Beard so I give the edge to Iowa.

Heavyweight. I just don't know enough to make an educated guess. You guys will have redshirt freshman Cassioppi. Penn State will have either a 6th year senior Cassar, and how good is he at hwt, or redshirt freshman Seth Nevills or true freshman Kerkvliet.

My leans are definitely influenced by my fandom, but generally my take will be close.
I have never been accused of wearing Black and Gold glasses. :) I am just a fan who visits different message boards and loves to talk wrestling. I will say this though. If Beard beats Warner, then everyone will have to bow at the altar of Cael. Because he has never kept it close with Warner, if my memory serves me right.
All your points have merit, I just don't like to give that much of a benefit of the doubt to an untested college wrestler. By untested, I mean they have not been on campus and dealt with college life etc.. RBY and Teas have been tested as well as Beard and Brooks on the mats.

...I just don't like to give that much of a benefit of the doubt to an untested college wrestler. By untested, I mean they have not been on campus and dealt with college life etc.. RBY and Teas have been tested as well as Beard and Brooks on the mats.
Your reasoning is sound--but where's the fun in prognosticating a matchup between anonymous hypothetical wrestlers? Your percpective is the house's, but I'll go w/ my homer fanhood. :)

That said, eyeball test says Warner will probably own Beard, but you never know...

Just saying here. If Stoll is healthy Iowa has a legitimate shot at finishing second this year.
A really good 3 days and the Hawks could finish with a champ, a couple others in the finals and maybe 7AAs totaling something close to 120 points.

I am not saying this is automatic, but something not out of the realm of legitimately possible with a really good 3 day performance.
I agree 100%--they had a couple solid transfers. TNT and staff has put together a good team. If that team gels and stays healthy it will be a great 3 days for wrestling fans!

I have never been accused of wearing Black and Gold glasses. :) I am just a fan who visits different message boards and loves to talk wrestling. I will say this though. If Beard beats Warner, then everyone will have to bow at the altar of Cael. Because he has never kept it close with Warner, if my memory serves me right.
All your points have merit, I just don't like to give that much of a benefit of the doubt to an untested college wrestler. By untested, I mean they have not been on campus and dealt with college life etc.. RBY and Teas have been tested as well as Beard and Brooks on the mats.
Since we are looking at a season that is two out from right now and discussing the what ifs, there needs to be some room for educated guessing. Obviously there is some objective data available to use in the discussion. Spencer, Cenzo and Hall are exceptionally talented individuals who have already won national titles.

The rest is mostly guess work. You think DeSanto has more upward possibilities than RBY or Teasdale, I don't.

You and I agree that no matter what Iowa puts out there at 141, Nick Lee is probably superior.

149 Iowa folks think Lugo is coming to claim a national title or two. There hasn't been a previous indication he is going to be superior to Zain's bridesmaid, Sorenson. He has the potential to be pretty good, but he is not going where only Metcalf has gone for TnT. I am not really sure what to expect from Verkleeren, so I have Lugo with an edge.

I like the Young kid, but Berge is as strong and has a gas tank that will enable him to wrestle non stop. So essentially Berge is equal to Young in the two areas Young is going to use to beat a great deal of the 157 pounders. Athletically Berge is far superior.

Brooks at 184 is really simple. We already know what Wilke brings to the table. He is a gamer, hustler, give of yourself to benefit the team type of kid. As somebody already posted, Brooks probably beats Cash right now. If Brooks is going to be anywhere nearly as good as expected this is simply a no brainer.

197, even though I give it only a slight Iowa lean and you give it Iowa much stronger. We both currently have it in Iowa's column.

Heavyweight is just one big unknown.

As I see it using whatever information that is available right now to guesstimate who will have the superior team two years out - for Penn State to be superior things need to play out as things can reasonably be expected to play out. For Iowa to reign superior requires two out of the normal expectations. First, Penn State recruits who in the immediate past have excelled will need to falter and it will need to be more than a single miss. Second, Iowa needs to have multiple kids achieve to a level that is significantly above past performances. Getting all of that to come together, that is a pretty tough ask.

Reactions: Dogwelder

I'll be pulling for them to finish ahead of tOSU.

I'll be pulling for them to finish ahead of tOSU.
I remember watching the OSU Iowa match (BTN Plus, or whatever they called it then) when OSU beat Iowa for the first time since the 1960s (2012 had to look it up) and I was rooting hard for the bucksnots. I remember laughing out loud when an Iowa kid kept pushing and shoving and the Brands were going nuts calling for stalling and James Yonushonis, who was doing color for the broadcast said typical Iowa. Don't shot and score, instead pull on the head push forward and expect a stall call.

Anyhow, how things have changed. It used to be automatic. 2 favorite wrestlers were the Penn State kid and whoever might be wrestling the Iowa kid.

Toss up in 2020 without knowing how the PSU newbies perform this year and assuming Brooks takes over at 184.

That's what they said about our team after the max redshirt year. Maybe we won't complete for a title for the second year in a row. I think Flo had us preseason at 7. A common thought was Nolf, Nickal and Nevills were all unproven.

Trust in God and trust in Cael and you will find peace my son.

2020? fun to look ahead but it is almost like gossiping since so much can change by then... heck it's tough to simply predict the lineup this year!

Reactions: PSUaggie
2020? fun to look ahead but it is almost like gossiping since so much can change by then... heck it's tough to simply predict the lineup this year!
This year's lineup is easy.
125 rookie and solid
133 rookie and solid
141 vet or maybe rookie and solid
149 rookie and solid
157 ninja
165 brutal
174 mission
184 vet and solid
197 wow
Hwt vet and solid

All those vet and rookie brothers will be very, very good. Ninja, brutal, mission and wow will all be amazing.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
Exactly!

Every once in a while, someone comes along with a pithy synopsis of my often verbose prose and it is much appreciated.

There's one thing you can't beat when you go one on one... as in ever. The TRUTH.

Considering how young Iowa is with nine starters most likely returning the following year, this year's team will tell us a lot about their prospects for 2020. They have numerous question marks going into this season and could have several guys emerge and be the favorite in 2020 or they may not perform as hoped and not have the returning points to compete for the title.

Here are all the weights that have questions:

133: DeSanto - Rd of 12 last year, did people start to figure him out or did he just have a bad post season? Weight class is stacked.

141: Murin or Turk - 2 guys ranked in the 12-16 range coming into the season. Can one of them make a jump to AA status?

149: Lugo - Some notable wins however has not been an All American in two attempts.

157: Young - First year starter and a compete question mark at this weight going into the season.

165: Marinelli - Finished a disappointing 6th last season with 4 guys that finished ahead back. Can he jump some guys on the podium this year or will he remain a mid AA?

174: Kemerer - Second best wrestler on the team jumping two weight classes??

184: Wilke - New weight class after two rd of 12s at 197.

197: Warner - First year freshman starter. Some notable wins last year; disappointing Midlands.

285: Stoll - shot in the off season; only senior in the lineup.

So that's every weight class other then 125 with questions and 7 of them are starting for the first time at that particular weight for Iowa. I will say the Hawks will be extremely interesting to follow this season to see how things play out for them.

Last edited:
This is the time of year where Iowa gets all of their bluster back. The disappointment from March has worn off and once again they all think this is the Iowa team that will bring the title back to Iowa. It won't be.

Also, I'll making a prediction now. If RBY is the guy at 133lbs he will beat DeSanto.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT