ADVERTISEMENT

HR becomes Sixty Minutes

I hear the tick tick tick ... all the way over here in Chicago.

It's the sound of the wait until their next championship.

It's funny how they seized on the camp compensation issue. I think the genesis of it is the NLWC form 990 (which is basically a tax return for tax exempt non-profits) where the mission statement specifically mentions camps even though it's a fraction (educated guess) of the NLWC's expenses. The mission statement could become important if litigated but it's generally not. Below are a few so you can see the variance, even though they essentially share a nearly identical model:

NLWC:
SUPPORT & PROMOTE AMATEUR WRESTLING BY CONDUCTING WRESTLING CAMPS, TOURNAMENTS AND CLINICS​

HWC:
SINCE ITS INCEPTION IN 1973 THE FOCUS OF HAWKEYE WRESTLING CLUB HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO PROVIDE THE TRAINING, COACHING AND RESOURCES NECESSARY TO HELP OUR ATHLETES PURSUE THEIR DREAMS OF BECOMING WORLD AND OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS THE MONEY RAISED GOES DIRECTLY TO BENEFIT THE ATHLETES HELPING WITH LIVING EXPENSES, TRAINING, AND TRAVELING NEEDS​

Sunkist Kids:
TO INCREASE THE ATHLETIC KNOWLEDGE AND ENHANCE THE COMPETITIVE SPIRIT OF THE WRESTLERS THROUGH TRAINING, WRESTLING MEETS, CAMPS, AND CLINICS.​

Clearly the HWC's is the most accurate, but it would apply equally well to the NLWC or any of the RTCs. I've seen posts at HR and here taking the NLWC's mission statement too literally, as if "camps, tournaments, and clinics" are all the NLWC does.

Anyway, if you compare the relevant wrestling clubs' 990s you'll find comparable numbers, higher/lower relative to their success, probably using slightly different accounting methods. The biggest expense categories just don't amount to that much ($313k for NLWC, $294k for HWC), and when you factor in the resident athletes, the coaches, there's really not much money available for alleged slush funds.

Another thought is that the wrestlers talk to each other, and if NLWC were doing something untoward, it would require a conspiracy between it and every wrestler who showed up for a clinic, for what couldn't much money, as I showed. So really high risk, really low reward, given the money we're talking about. Make sense? No.

Happy snipe hunting HR.

It's funny how they seized on the camp compensation issue. I think the genesis of it is the NLWC form 990 (which is basically a tax return for tax exempt non-profits) where the mission statement specifically mentions camps even though it's a fraction (educated guess) of the NLWC's expenses. The mission statement could become important if litigated but it's generally not. Below are a few so you can see the variance, even though they essentially share a nearly identical model:

NLWC:
SUPPORT & PROMOTE AMATEUR WRESTLING BY CONDUCTING WRESTLING CAMPS, TOURNAMENTS AND CLINICS​

HWC:
SINCE ITS INCEPTION IN 1973 THE FOCUS OF HAWKEYE WRESTLING CLUB HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO PROVIDE THE TRAINING, COACHING AND RESOURCES NECESSARY TO HELP OUR ATHLETES PURSUE THEIR DREAMS OF BECOMING WORLD AND OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS THE MONEY RAISED GOES DIRECTLY TO BENEFIT THE ATHLETES HELPING WITH LIVING EXPENSES, TRAINING, AND TRAVELING NEEDS​

Sunkist Kids:
TO INCREASE THE ATHLETIC KNOWLEDGE AND ENHANCE THE COMPETITIVE SPIRIT OF THE WRESTLERS THROUGH TRAINING, WRESTLING MEETS, CAMPS, AND CLINICS.​

Clearly the HWC's is the most accurate, but it would apply equally well to the NLWC or any of the RTCs. I've seen posts at HR and here taking the NLWC's mission statement too literally, as if "camps, tournaments, and clinics" are all the NLWC does.

Anyway, if you compare the relevant wrestling clubs' 990s you'll find comparable numbers, higher/lower relative to their success, probably using slightly different accounting methods. The biggest expense categories just don't amount to that much ($313k for NLWC, $294k for HWC), and when you factor in the resident athletes, the coaches, there's really not much money available for alleged slush funds.

Another thought is that the wrestlers talk to each other, and if NLWC were doing something untoward, it would require a conspiracy between it and every wrestler who showed up for a clinic, for what couldn't much money, as I showed. So really high risk, really low reward, given the money we're talking about. Make sense? No.

Happy snipe hunting HR.
We should ask them to go get the Left-Handed Smoke Shifter from the garage - that's the next duty after going snipe hunting

Hell, if he wanted to know what is going on with camps, clinics and whatever all he needed to do was give Gable a holler.

And, vodka just reached the conclusion that some wrestlers are getting more money than others for camps. Shocking revelation, I tell you. I wonder why Zain would get more than PD3 or Sorenson?

It's an interesting topic but I can't imagine anyone is giving Vodka answers here. Nonprofits don't discuss their molecular-level finances with actual journalists, never mind some curious message board guy. He's probably have a better chance of getting answers if he went straight to the wrestlers, but I don't know why they'd talk either, except that they're not going to be as sophisticated as whoever is running the club, and may just accidentally blab.

Reactions: diggerpup
It's an interesting topic but I can't imagine anyone is giving Vodka answers here. Nonprofits don't discuss their molecular-level finances with actual journalists, never mind some curious message board guy. He's probably have a better chance of getting answers if he went straight to the wrestlers, but I don't know why they'd talk either, except that they're not going to be as sophisticated as whoever is running the club, and may just accidentally blab.

he is setting himself up for disappointment if he thinks he will get anywhere with this other than anonymous hi fives and butt slaps from the circle jerk of cael haters.

the first thought i had when reading through this was that of the antifa folks the other day trying to tear down a monument, not realizing it was a PEACE monument.

he is setting himself up for disappointment if he thinks he will get anywhere with this other than anonymous hi fives and butt slaps from the circle jerk of cael haters.

the first thought i had when reading through this was that of the antifa folks the other day trying to tear down a monument, not realizing it was a PEACE monument.
Are you saying the guys who are the Cael haters form a circle to jerk and then but slap each other?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Nothing more true than above unless you amend it to PSU National Champion haters.

It sucks when you are used to winning and now you find out someone is doing it better than you.

Must be cheating...

Nice to be a PSU fan right now. Not even going to pretend otherwise. It's easy to be magnanimous to Iowa and tOSU and OSU because:

PSU KICKS THEIR ASS ABOUT EVERY YEAR.

Maybe if I was an Iowa fan I would be pretty salty too...lol

You guys sure have gotten cocky in time span of an 8 year old. Wrestling did exist before 2011.. Try to remember that!

Yeah, it also existed before 1978. But we don't have Cowboy fans telling us to remember history.

Yeah... you're right! What would we do without HR to imply the only way the state school of the best high school wrestling state could win was by cheating. Keep it real Turk!

You guys sure have gotten cocky in time span of an 8 year old. Wrestling did exist before 2011.. Try to remember that!

I remember watching Gabe win his 1st NCAA title in 1968 and at that point I believe Iowa had not won any team titles at all. As to being cocky, yes many PSU fans have gotten carried away. However, we can't even hold a candle to the cockiness of Iowa fans.

..... the state school of the best high school wrestling state.... !

.... with its athletics facilities, athletic funding, close proximity to also OH & NJ, huge alumni support, etc etc, et al ....

"Carl" is no dummy.

------

HR should not be solely focused on PSU as the new clear #1, but also at tOSU as the new clear #2 in the Big Ten

Their RTC success.
Their recent past teams and elite rosters
OH has elite HS wrestling
And OSU is #2 in the USA in athletic dept budget behind only Univ of Texas.

HR can't be ignoring the horsepower that the Buckeyes have been building, either.

Last edited:
.... with its athletics facilities, athletic funding, close proximity to also OH & NJ, huge alumni support, etc etc, et al ....

"Carl" is no dummy.

------

HR should not be solely focused on PSU as the new clear #1, but also at tOSU as the new clear #2 in the Big Ten

Their RTC success.
Their recent past teams and elite rosters
OH has elite HS wrestling
And OSU is #2 in the USA in athletic dept budget behind only Univ of Texas.

HR can't be ignoring the horsepower that the Buckeyes have been building, either.
I agree. Maybe you guys should have more threads on hating tOSU, and not on the old fading away into oblivion Iowa:p

Yeah... you're right! What would we do without HR to imply the only way the state school of the best high school wrestling state could win was by cheating. Keep it real Turk!
I feel like i do keep it real. More than most i think. You still pitching a fit about going to HR? Or have you stopped pouting and decided to go back and play?:rolleyes:

I feel like i do keep it real. More than most i think. You still pitching a fit about going to HR? Or have you stopped pouting and decided to go back and play?:rolleyes:

What's the point?

Right when any of us make a legitimate argument, we get awarded a SHUT UP SANDUSKY Award.

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
HR spends so much time telling us PSU fans to go away, I would think one less visitor would be a good thing ;-) Not pitching a fit, though... consider it a mutual parting of ways. Once the season starts, I am sure I will be back.

HR spends so much time telling us PSU fans to go away, I would think one less visitor would be a good thing ;-) Not pitching a fit, though... consider it a mutual parting of ways. Once the season starts, I am sure I will be back.

To be fair, some of our fans get a little belligerent over there. It is hard to resist responding in kind to some of the silliness about Cael (Carl, Bael, etc) but he really doesn't need our defending.

What's the point?

Right when any of us make a legitimate argument, we get awarded a SHUT UP SANDUSKY Award.
That's why you have to be good at filtering out that crap. Unfortunately the Sandusky event will never go away and many people will still bring it up for years to come. I would suggest ignoring everybody that instigates those comments and just try to focus on the wrestling talk.

That's why you have to be good at filtering out that crap. Unfortunately the Sandusky event will never go away and many people will still bring it up for years to come. I would suggest ignoring everybody that instigates those comments and just try to focus on the wrestling talk.

Soooooo..... why should I do all of that work when I can just chat about wrestling with you over here ? :rolleyes:

To be fair, some of our fans get a little belligerent over there. It is hard to resist responding in kind to some of the silliness about Cael (Carl, Bael, etc) but he really doesn't need our defending.

I think that is why I quit visiting (at least for now). During the season, there is plenty of actual wrestling talk. This time of year, it is conspiracy theories...

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT