ADVERTISEMENT

How was the hospitality in Iowa City? *

Generally very good. Merchants, servers, bartenders all nice. A few folks at the stadium welcomed me to Kinnick. Negative - Several students though walking by me to and from the game muttered F PennState. Outside the farmers market there was a banner hanging from an apartment. PSU girls are husky and boys shower with Sandusky. Should have been taken down.

Reactions: psu00
Generally very good. Merchants, servers, bartenders all nice. A few folks at the stadium welcomed me to Kinnick. Negative - Several students though walking by me to and from the game muttered F PennState. Outside the farmers market there was a banner hanging from an apartment. PSU girls are husky and boys shower with Sandusky. Should have been taken down.

As you would expect, like anywhere else, late game and a few students haven't learned how to handle themselves. For the most part though, the fans were accommodating. Not much said on the Hawkeye Express after the game.

Reactions: psu00
Pretty tame compared to what I have seen at other campuses.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Outstanding. Without a doubt the best fans I've encountered. Obviously there were a few negative comments, including being pointed to the "child molester section" by a man in his 50's-60's once I got into the stadium.

But other than that, I couldn't say enough good things about the folks in Iowa. Great atmosphere and the walk to the stadium was fantastic.

As you would expect, like anywhere else, late game and a few students haven't learned how to handle themselves. For the most part though, the fans were accommodating. Not much said on the Hawkeye Express after the game.

I was treated well there. And, after the game was over, you could not ask for a more orderly, quiet crowd. It was beautiful!

Outstanding. Without a doubt the best fans I've encountered. Obviously there were a few negative comments, including being pointed to the "child molester section" by a man in his 50's-60's once I got into the stadium.

But other than that, I couldn't say enough good things about the folks in Iowa. Great atmosphere and the walk to the stadium was fantastic.

Having just one person do that is enough to qualify them as the worst fans ever. No amount of pleasantries in the parking lots can make up for that.

I did not attend, but my brother did. He said it was 95% fine. Just about everybody was nice. A few Pedophile comments yelled in his direction by people who were generally hiding in the crowd. Nobody actually said anything directly to him.

Between the two of us, we've been to every B1G venue. Both agree Rutgers is the only place where the majority of fans aren't nice and welcoming.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER

I hope your reply was something along the lines of "Thanks for directing me to your section, we'll visit you there!"

Reactions: john4psu and PSU65
Are you viewing that through home team bias?
I don't think he is. I heard one and only one Sandusky comment--from a teen/student. That was it. The rest of the folks were pretty nice, even after a big disappointment. I really like the wave thing they do at the end of the 1st quarter to the children's hospital overlooking the stadium. We had a couple of Lions in our section, but it was mostly Iowa fans. We'd gladly go back--and may do so in 2 years. We did some family history research down in SE Iowa (Mrs KG's grandfather was from Iowa--and we got to visit the family farm of her 3rd great grandfather in Louisa County).

Mrs KG and I originally thought to walk all the way downtown and back pregame--we got as far as the river as it was just too hot. We spent some time sitting on benches watching the crowd go by. Lots of eye candy, Ro, I must say.

BTW, one of my co-workers noted what I should have said to the one heckler:

"Yeah, I remember my first beer too...".

Having just one person do that is enough to qualify them as the worst fans ever. No amount of pleasantries in the parking lots can make up for that.

..... this is what's wrong with sports fans in general. You're seeing multiple posts about "95%" positive experiences and "outstanding" by people who were actually in attendance, and they qualify "as the worst fans ever." because of one ignorant fan? that's exactly the type of response that we all roll our eyes at and laugh at when all conservatives are "Nazis" and all white people are "racist"... as a fan of penn state, if you haven't gotten used to the idea that people are GOING TO bring up Sandusky, you need to reevaluate how you look at the world. people are a$$holes. lumping everyone together because of one person is just as bad. Get over it. Indiana. Moving on...

..... this is what's wrong with sports fans in general. You're seeing multiple posts about "95%" positive experiences and "outstanding" by people who were actually in attendance, and they qualify "as the worst fans ever." because of one ignorant fan? that's exactly the type of response that we all roll our eyes at and laugh at when all conservatives are "Nazis" and all white people are "racist"... as a fan of penn state, if you haven't gotten used to the idea that people are GOING TO bring up Sandusky, you need to reevaluate how you look at the world. people are a$$holes. lumping everyone together because of one person is just as bad. Get over it. Indiana. Moving on...

I guess the irony of judging an entire fan base based on the actions of one person was lost on you.

P.S. Most places have about 99.9% positive experiences, so 95% is a pretty big difference. I know when I went to Iowa city it was by far the worst I've been treated at any B10 school.

I guess the irony of judging an entire fan base based on the actions of one person was lost on you.

P.S. Most places have about 99.9% positive experiences, so 95% is a pretty big difference. I know when I went to Iowa city it was by far the worst I've been treated at any B10 school.

I don't ever remember agreeing with anything that has been said RE Sandusky? I guess I have thicker skin and don't really care what people say because those people have ZERO bearing on how I live my life. Speaking of hypocritical, being pi$$ed about opposing fans using one incident to tarnish an entire fan base, then doing the same in return? I dunno, I guess I just care more about what I can control than what I can't control. Not worth my time. Good luck with your hatred. Hope it serves you well in life.

I don't ever remember agreeing with anything that has been said RE Sandusky? I guess I have thicker skin and don't really care what people say because those people have ZERO bearing on how I live my life. Speaking of hypocritical, being pi$$ed about opposing fans using one incident to tarnish an entire fan base, then doing the same in return? I dunno, I guess I just care more about what I can control than what I can't control. Not worth my time. Good luck with your hatred. Hope it serves you well in life.

I'm not exactly sure how to reply. You missed the point of my original post, and when I explained it to you, you still don't seem to get it... then you try to turn around the point that you didn't get, back on me. I'm just at a loss for words.

I couldn't disagree more. I will expect to hear something along those lines at any school I visit, unfortunately. I'm not going to debate who's fault that is but I surely won't blame an entire fan base for it. The point I was trying to make is that I ONLY heard one or two things and the Iowa fans were fantastic to us before and after the game.

Reactions: kgilbert78

You were probably recognized as the bitter pompous arrogant ass that you are and got treated accordingly. You are the 0.1% that gives everyone else a reason to dislike any group with which you associate.

I couldn't disagree more. I will expect to hear something along those lines at any school I visit, unfortunately. I'm not going to debate who's fault that is but I surely won't blame an entire fan base for it. The point I was trying to make is that I ONLY heard one or two things and the Iowa fans were fantastic to us before and after the game.

I guess the irony of judging an entire fan base based on the actions of one person was lost on you too.

You were probably recognized as the bitter pompous arrogant ass that you are and got treated accordingly. You are the 0.1% that gives everyone else a reason to dislike any group with which you associate.

You're projecting again.

Another post, zero value added to this board... the trend continues.

Come on, man. He is just taunting. Everyone does it. Yes, it is wrong, but he probably doesn't understand the depth of frustration that we feel about the injustices of this issue.

If 99 fans were great and 1 was a moron, let it go.

Reactions: pandaczar12
When going to an away game, I learned long ago to dress as a neutral. If asked I
would reveal my team but I chose not to deal with idiots since I had a quick
trigger back then.

Come on, man. He is just taunting. Everyone does it. Yes, it is wrong, but he probably doesn't understand the depth of frustration that we feel about the injustices of this issue.

If 99 fans were great and 1 was a moron, let it go.

I'm more than happy to let this thread die. I simply was trying to parody some Iowa fans judging all PSU fans by the actions of one person. It went over a lot of heads. Even when I spell it out, people don't seem to get it and keep attacking my original post.

Last edited:
I been to some BIG away games post Sandusky including Rutgers. I agree Rutgers is by far not even close the worst.
Every where else was fine.

I been to some BIG away games post Sandusky including Rutgers. I agree Rutgers is by far not even close the worst.
Every where else was fine.

I went to that first Rutgers game to welcome them to the B10 with a crushing loss. It was pretty bad, but Iowa 2012 was definitely worse for me.

Grew up going to Iowa games with my dad.
I was taken aback by the rudeness and boorish behavior of a significant number of Hawkeye fans. I wore a PSU cap and was called a "rapist" outside the stadium and a "Sundusky lover" inside.
Some fans outside the stadium were pleasant and engaged.
But mostly, the tribalism that is impacting so much of American life has made it to the Midwest. Conversations in the stands about football and the game were difficult and strained with the Iowa fans in my area. They were too busy with their Hawks. Any good run by Barkley was immediately greeted by shouts for a holding penalty. There was interference by PSU defenders on every Iowa pass attempt. Penn State, according to the fans around us, never had a good play.
My initial impression was not good when the double-wide couple who had seats 5 and 6 spilled well over into our seats, 3 and 4, and seemed resentful when we showed up to claim our spots.
The bottom line is my wife is an Iowa grad. Disheartened by the fan behavior, she says she never wants to attend another game at Kinnick. It was that unpleasant.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

Columbus is the worst.....and it's not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT