ADVERTISEMENT

How to beat Northwestern.....y

Oct 31, 2010
I've watched every single game this year and I want to assure you that this should be an easy win for PSU as long as your coaching staff watches the Michigan and Iowa tape. Nebraskas coaching staff failed to follow the formula and as a result they lost a game that they should have won by at least 10.

How to beat Northwesterns defense:

Run the stretch play. It's a run right behind the tackle with a blocker leading the way into the second level. Northwestern can stop the run up the gut but cannot defend the edges. If PSU keeps running this play It will tire our front and leave us vulnerable to play action......speaking of....

The comeback route. Northwesterns dbacks give 5-10 yd cushion on every play. With Hackenburgs arm strength he should have this throw all day. The key is keeping him upright and as long as you keep running that stretch play right at our DEs it shouldn't be an issue.

How to beat Northwesterns offense:
It doesn't take much. We have the worst offense you will play all year with zero play makers to worry about. Justin Jackson is an excellent back, but the oline hasn't been able to open up holes for him vs Big 10 defenses. Keep 8 to 9 defenders in the box and make Thorson and our receivers beat you and they won't. The biggest threat on offense that we possess is Thorsons running ability. Penn State will need to keep a spy on him during obvious passing downs and gameplan to keep him in the pocket. Thorson has a lot of raw ability and can make any throw but right now he is afraid to get hit and won't step up in the pocket.

If Penn State has a gameplan like last year where they wanted to embrass us by throwing the ball around the yard they can lose. If they play boring and commit to the run it should be an easy 10 point road win.

I've watched every single game this year and I want to assure you that this should be an easy win for PSU as long as your coaching staff watches the Michigan and Iowa tape. Nebraskas coaching staff failed to follow the formula and as a result they lost a game that they should have won by at least 10.

Run the stretch play. It's a run right behind the tackle with a blocker leading the way into the second level. Northwestern can stop the run up the gut but cannot defend the edges. If PSU keeps running this play It will tire our front and leave us vulnerable to play action......speaking of....

The comeback route. Northwesterns dbacks give 5-10 yd cushion on every play. With Hackenburgs arm strength he should have this throw all day. The key is keeping him upright and as long as you keep running that stretch play right at our DEs it shouldn't be an issue.

It doesn't take much. We have the worst offense you will play all year with zero play makers to worry about. Justin Jackson is an excellent back, but the oline hasn't been able to open up holes for him vs Big 10 defenses. Keep 8 to 9 defenders in the box and make Thorson and our receivers beat you and they won't. The biggest threat on offense that we possess is Thorsons running ability. Penn State will need to keep a spy on him during obvious passing downs and gameplan to keep him in the pocket. Thorson has a lot of raw ability and can make any throw but right now he is afraid to get hit and won't step up in the pocket.

If Penn State has a gameplan like last year where they wanted to embrass us by throwing the ball around the yard they can lose. If they play boring and commit to the run it should be an easy 10 point road win.
Welcome to the board. A few questions for you

1) in lieu of a stretch play, would a pitch- toss accompanied with either,a sealing TE or pulling Offensive Lineman doing same, be sufficient? I think you're suggesting that NW likes to clog up the middle and that teams should run outside the tackles?

2) how have opposing TE's done against NW by just running out 7-8 yards and sitting down in an empty zone?

There is absolutely no way Penn State can beat Northwestern. Remember, our OOC schedule was not only an embarrassment to the Big Ten, but it has left us woefully unprepared to handle an opponent the caliber of Northwestern. But thanks for this advice, nonetheless.

Good try. We only run up the middle so I guess it should be a good day foe NW.

ADVERTISEMENT