ADVERTISEMENT

How many US cities have major pro sports teams that share the same colors?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
With the historical photo post today that included one or two of the Pittsburgh Pirates, I got to thinking about the fact that the three major pro sports teams in Pittsburgh all have the same colors (although the Penguins do have an alternate baby blue uniform). I couldn't think of any other city where the uniform colors of their major pro sports teams were all aligned. Atlanta has their football and basketball teams wearing red and black, but the baseball team wears blue and red. I kind of like the idea of all of the major pro sports teams wearing the same colors, as a form of city unity. Maybe teams could consider paying tribute to the the other major pro sports teams in their city by creating alternate uniforms using the colors of the other teams. For example, the Phillies already have a red and blue alternate uniform that could represent the Sixers, but they could also create a red and black version of their uniform to recognize the Flyers and a dark green and black (I prefer the look of the old kelly green and gray) as a tribute to the Eagles.

Can anyone think of other cities where the colors of major pro sports teams are aligned? Do you think that it is better to have the same colors or keep them separate/unique? What about the idea of alternate uniform colors?

IIRC, the Pens alternate colors are actually what they wore when they entered the league. They eventually changed to black and gold because it was a good marketing tool to more align themselves with the Steelers and Pirates who were having much more success at the time.

As for other cities, every professional franchise has its own identity and marketing strategy. I can't imagine any of them changing colors simply to look like the other teams in the city.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
With the historical photo post today that included one or two of the Pittsburgh Pirates, I got to thinking about the fact that the three major pro sports teams in Pittsburgh all have the same colors (although the Penguins do have an alternate baby blue uniform). I couldn't think of any other city where the uniform colors of their major pro sports teams were all aligned. Atlanta has their football and basketball teams wearing red and black, but the baseball team wears blue and red. I kind of like the idea of all of the major pro sports teams wearing the same colors, as a form of city unity. Maybe teams could consider paying tribute to the the other major pro sports teams in their city by creating alternate uniforms using the colors of the other teams. For example, the Phillies already have a red and blue alternate uniform that could represent the Sixers, but they could also create a red and black version of their uniform to recognize the Flyers and a dark green and black (I prefer the look of the old kelly green and gray) as a tribute to the Eagles.

Can anyone think of other cities where the colors of major pro sports teams are aligned? Do you think that it is better to have the same colors or keep them separate/unique? What about the idea of alternate uniform colors?

In New York, the Islanders, Knicks, and Mets wear the same colors. Then, the Giants and Rangers do. Jets, Yankees, and Nets are all different.

IIRC, the Pens alternate colors are actually what they wore when they entered the league. They eventually changed to black and gold because it was a good marketing tool to more align themselves with the Steelers and Pirates who were having much more success at the time.

As for other cities, every professional franchise has its own identity and marketing strategy. I can't imagine any of them changing colors simply to look like the other teams in the city.

The Pirates were Red.and Blue til 1948. Steelers are the only team to wear Black and Gold for its entire existence, with the exception of the combined franchises during WW2.

Washington DC - Nats, Caps, and Wizards are all red, white, and blue (noting alternatives exist).

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Maybe not "mainstream" pro sport, but Atlanta's pro soccer team - Atlanta United FC, also wears red/black. Should be noted that Blank also owns that team, so would make sense.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I really think that a city should have unified team colors, maybe with an allowance for each sport to veer a little in shade or by adding a unique third color. I guess that this would become difficult for cities like NY that have so many teams, including more than one within the same sport.

Not to completely steal your thread Ranger but I'd love to see our Nittany Lions, on a homecoming day game, come out for warm ups in traditional uniforms but switch to the original Black and Pink style for the game.

Can you imagine the fans, likely a moment of shock followed by a roar of lions in a crescendo across the stadium. I would have to say the helmets should be black w/ gray or pink face guards and the jersey black w/ pink number and trim. The Pants, possibly pink or maintain the white, I don't know but I'd love to be there if it ever happens.

Not to completely steal your thread Ranger but I'd love to see our Nittany Lions, on a homecoming day game, come out for warm ups in traditional uniforms but switch to the original Black and Pink style for the game.

Can you imagine the fans, likely a moment of shock followed by a roar of lions in a crescendo across the stadium. I would have to say the helmets should be black w/ gray or pink face guards and the jersey black w/ pink number and trim. The Pants, possibly pink or maintain the white, I don't know but I'd love to be there if it ever happens.

And then hopefully the meteor arrives

Reactions: psuro
The black and gold colors stem from the insignia and flag of the City of Pittsburgh, which were adapted from William Pitt's coat of arms in the early 1800's. The colors have been part of the City of Pittsburgh's police uniforms (specifically, checkerboards on the hats) for decades.

2000px-Flag_of_Pittsburgh%2C_Pennsylvania.svg.png

Schubert_hed-600x900.jpg

---
Yep Penquins switched a few decades ago. The Boston Bruins raised a stink since they use those colors.

You're forgetting the Redskins so no. My son and I discussed this on a trip and I think Pittsburgh may have been the only city for three sports or more.

Derp, you're right. Noting the Caps, Wizards, and Nats all actually play in DC whereas the Redskins do not.

The men’s basketball team has worn black and pink uniforms

Not a U.S. city, but Toronto Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, and Argonauts are mostly blue and white (Argos have two shades of blue and BJs have some red woven in).

Reactions: john4psu
This is hard to admit as a Phillies fan but this logo has stood the test of time and is pretty slick.

1200px-New_York_Mets.svg.png
Time flies Vic. You're a little shaver in Queens or Levittown, just getting into baseball and you have a brand spanking new team to root for. Now you're eligible for Social Security.

Ed Kranepool who had a '62 cameo right after he graduated high school, is 74 now. Let that sink in.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Time flies Vic. You're a little shaver in Queens or Levittown, just getting into baseball and you have a brand spanking new team to root for. Now you're eligible for Social Security.

Ed Kranepool who had a '62 cameo right after he graduated high school, is 74 now. Let that sink in.

Jon Matlack thinks you are old.

Saw so many Mets games as a kid on WOR-9 out of NY or Secaucus, I don't know the history of the station but they were the Mets' flagship. Kiner and Lindsey Nelson in plaid pants and a loud jacket of some kind, white shoes, oh man. Kiner's Korner after the game...a set straight out of the WWF, or the Odd Couple. Shag carpet and mustard yellow chairs, Kiner at his desk...

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Saw so many Mets games as a kid on WOR-9 out of NY or Secaucus, I don't know the history of the station but they were the Mets' flagship. Kiner and Lindsey Nelson in plaid pants and a loud jacket of some kind, white shoes, oh man. Kiner's Korner after the game...a set straight out of the WWF, or the Odd Couple. Shag carpet and mustard yellow chairs, Kiner at his desk...
I remember that.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
The men’s basketball team has worn black and pink uniforms

The basketball team has worn them at least four times since they debuted them in 2014 (we're 4-0 in those games too) . Several other teams on campus have worn them too (usually women's teams on "Think Pink" Breast Cancer Awareness days.
d.j.-newbill-ncaa-basketball-virginia-tech-penn-state.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT