ADVERTISEMENT

How long will we have to endure shit like this?

ouirpsu

Jan 24, 2018
North Carolina
...From USA Today: "If you consider the culture of the Roman Catholic church — a culture of secrecy and deception embedded in its history — it's not surprising that it was able to keep a lid on widespread child abuse, said Kristen Houser, chief public affairs officer with the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape. In that way, what the Catholic church has done is not that much different than how Penn State responded to charges that former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had molested and raped numerous children."

I recommend NOT reading this unless you want to be in a crappy mood this morning: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...nsylvania-playbook-cover-up-abuse/1014258002/

Reactions: step.eng69
...From USA Today: "If you consider the culture of the Roman Catholic church — a culture of secrecy and deception embedded in its history — it's not surprising that it was able to keep a lid on widespread child abuse, said Kristen Houser, chief public affairs officer with the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape. In that way, what the Catholic church has done is not that much different than how Penn State responded to charges that former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had molested and raped numerous children."

I recommend NOT reading this unless you want to be in a crappy mood this morning: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...nsylvania-playbook-cover-up-abuse/1014258002/
You'll have to endure it as long as you continue to read shitty newspapers and comments made by useless dingbats on the internet.

It will stop by 2014, so don’t worry.

As long as you chose to stress over it.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
One entity not being given a critical eye are the Prosecutors offices handling of complaints. We are all aware of the failure in Centre County in 1998 to deal with Sandusky. In York, Pa. there was a failure in 1998 to address a priest with similar accusations.
Seems that as we look at past failures, we use the perspective of 2018 and not how difficult it was to confront these issues. Joe said in his Grand a Jury testimony - I don’t know what you would call it.
It is easy today to wonder why this abuse could go on so long in plain view and not understand just how difficult it was to understand and then take action.

One entity not being given a critical eye are the Prosecutors offices handling of complaints. We are all aware of the failure in Centre County in 1998 to deal with Sandusky. In York, Pa. there was a failure in 1998 to address a priest with similar accusations.
Seems that as we look at past failures, we use the perspective of 2018 and not how difficult it was to confront these issues. Joe said in his Grand a Jury testimony - I don’t know what you would call it.
It is easy today to wonder why this abuse could go on so long in plain view and not understand just how difficult it was to understand and then take action.

you're very nieve if you don't think there is collusion bnetween certain entities such as the prosecutors and those who run the organizations under scrutiny. It's not this side vs that side, it's keeping it under wraps for the powers that be. I'm sure the church has no political friends or influence for example. Sarcasm intended.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and nits74
It will stop by 2014, so don’t worry.
karen-peetz_155x198.png

Just saw that she's now on the BOD of Wells Fargo! In CORPORATE GOVERNANCE!!!!

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. HA-HA-HA-ha-ha-ha-ha. Snort. Guffaw. Ha ha ha ha.

Okay, I finally hit my boiling point on this. Here is what I sent to Mike Argento (margento@ydr.com):

Mike,

For over six years I have held my tongue and prayed that journalists would do more fact checking when writing anything regarding the Jerry Sandusky story. Apparently, my wish is never going to come true. In your article you state:

“In that way, what the Catholic church has done is not that much different than how Penn State responded to charges that former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had molested and raped numerous children.”
  1. Penn State received exactly ONE report of “horseplay” in the now infamous 2001 shower incident … not rape and definitely not “numerous”.
  2. The boy in the 2001 shower incident (Allan Myers) is on record to an investigator stating “nothing inappropriate occurred” and invited Jerry Sandusky to his wedding.
  3. The three not guilty charges against Sandusky were all from the 2001 incident.
  4. The only place where rape is tied to the 2001 shower incident is in the Grand Jury Presentment and Mike McQueary is on record as saying he never used that word.
  5. Charges of conspiracy were dropped against Penn State administrators since there was no evidence of a cover up.
  6. Penn State administrators reported the 2001 shower incident to the CEO of The Second Mile (Jack Raykovitz) which was Sandusky’s charity. Jack is a licensed child psychologist and a mandatory reporter, but somehow he and TSM have avoided investigation. Now THERE is a story for you.
You later go on to state:

“Both cases have an element of authority. Parishioners have absolute faith and trust in the leadership of the church, just as Penn State football fans had absolute loyalty and trust in Joe Paterno and the university’s leadership.”
  1. When informed about the horseplay in 2001, Joe Paterno referenced the university policy and reported it to his boss (Tim Curley) and the head of the University Police (Gary Schultz). He followed the policy to the letter and even followed up with Mike McQueary to make sure he was satisfied with the University’s handling of the situation (which he was).
  2. The lead investigator (Frank Fina) in 2013 stated that he found no evidence that Joe Paterno participated in any cover up.
  3. Joe Paterno is the only person who did not want to give Sandusky access to campus facilities as part of his 1999 retirement package, but he was overruled. So much for being the most powerful person at Penn State!
  4. In 2011 the NCAA did not have a policy on how to handle this type of situation, so around 2013 the NCAA developed and adopted a new policy for this type of case. It was, surprise, basically tailored around exactly how Joe Paterno handled it back in 2001.
So in summary, Joe Paterno did everything that was required from him and there was no evidence that Penn State administrators tried to cover up any part of the Jerry Sandusky shower incident of 2001. Here is a serious question for you … why would you use Penn State with one case and no cover up as your simile to the Catholic Church scandal and not Michigan State where there were over 100 cases and clearly a cover up/protection for Larry Nassar? I think I know the answer but would prefer to hear it from you.

Thanks,
xxxx xxxxxxxx

I will let you know if I get a reply.

If I knew how to post a link of Taylor Swift's Shake It Off, that's how I would have responded to your posting.

How long do you think people will remember the Kent State shootings?

How long do you think people will remember that Woody Hayes punched a player?

How long will people talk about Reggie Bush and the USC scandle?

How long until they stop making specials about SMU and their death sentence?

My personal thought is that it we'll have to deal with it for at least the rest of our lives, and our children will likely will have to put up with it as well. Maybe our children's children won't have to hear about it, but I wouldn't count on it. And for the elder folks on here add another generation to the calculation.

Okay, I finally hit my boiling point on this. Here is what I sent to Mike Argento (margento@ydr.com):

Mike,

For over six years I have held my tongue and prayed that journalists would do more fact checking when writing anything regarding the Jerry Sandusky story. Apparently, my wish is never going to come true. In your article you state:

“In that way, what the Catholic church has done is not that much different than how Penn State responded to charges that former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had molested and raped numerous children.”
  1. Penn State received exactly ONE report of “horseplay” in the now infamous 2001 shower incident … not rape and definitely not “numerous”.
  2. The boy in the 2001 shower incident (Allan Myers) is on record to an investigator stating “nothing inappropriate occurred” and invited Jerry Sandusky to his wedding.
  3. The three not guilty charges against Sandusky were all from the 2001 incident.
  4. The only place where rape is tied to the 2001 shower incident is in the Grand Jury Presentment and Mike McQueary is on record as saying he never used that word.
  5. Charges of conspiracy were dropped against Penn State administrators since there was no evidence of a cover up.
  6. Penn State administrators reported the 2001 shower incident to the CEO of The Second Mile (Jack Raykovitz) which was Sandusky’s charity. Jack is a licensed child psychologist and a mandatory reporter, but somehow he and TSM have avoided investigation. Now THERE is a story for you.

“Both cases have an element of authority. Parishioners have absolute faith and trust in the leadership of the church, just as Penn State football fans had absolute loyalty and trust in Joe Paterno and the university’s leadership.”
  1. When informed about the horseplay in 2001, Joe Paterno referenced the university policy and reported it to his boss (Tim Curley) and the head of the University Police (Gary Schultz). He followed the policy to the letter and even followed up with Mike McQueary to make sure he was satisfied with the University’s handling of the situation (which he was).
  2. The lead investigator (Frank Fina) in 2013 stated that he found no evidence that Joe Paterno participated in any cover up.
  3. Joe Paterno is the only person who did not want to give Sandusky access to campus facilities as part of his 1999 retirement package, but he was overruled. So much for being the most powerful person at Penn State!
  4. In 2011 the NCAA did not have a policy on how to handle this type of situation, so around 2013 the NCAA developed and adopted a new policy for this type of case. It was, surprise, basically tailored around exactly how Joe Paterno handled it back in 2001.
So in summary, Joe Paterno did everything that was required from him and there was no evidence that Penn State administrators tried to cover up any part of the Jerry Sandusky shower incident of 2001. Here is a serious question for you … why would you use Penn State with one case and no cover up as your simile to the Catholic Church scandal and not Michigan State where there were over 100 cases and clearly a cover up/protection for Larry Nassar? I think I know the answer but would prefer to hear it from you.

Thanks,
xxxx xxxxxxxx

well said!

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
karen-peetz_155x198.png

Just saw that she's now on the BOD of Wells Fargo! In CORPORATE GOVERNANCE!!!!

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. HA-HA-HA-ha-ha-ha-ha. Snort. Guffaw. Ha ha ha ha.

LOL. Wells Fargo has been about as "transparent" as our BOTS.
Still don't know how they got away with what they did and are still around. SMH.
and that last part applies to both entities. :mad:

Mike,

Thanks,
xxxx xxxxxxxx

STANDING. OVATION.

This should be the template for everyone to use in response to writers comparing the Catholic Church scandal to PSU. Awesome job, JPR.

The newspaper industry died years ago o_O

Reactions: 91Joe95

Probably for this life time. Factor in a Board of Trustees who chose not to see the truth, 2 guys that plead guilty, a President found guilty, and Fake News.....Facts mean little in this story and seem to mean leas and less everyday......

How long do you think people will remember the Kent State shootings?

How long do you think people will remember that Woody Hayes punched a player?

How long will people talk about Reggie Bush and the USC scandle?

How long until they stop making specials about SMU and their death sentence?

My personal thought is that it we'll have to deal with it for at least the rest of our lives, and our children will likely will have to put up with it as well. Maybe our children's children won't have to hear about it, but I wouldn't count on it. And for the elder folks on here add another generation to the calculation.

The big difference is, all of those things are real. There was no such thing as a "PSU scandal".

Mike,

Thanks,
xxxx xxxxxxxx

That was one of the most well written responses to this whole mess I've ever read!

Great job.....It should be pinned to the top of the message board for all to use in response to constant fake news distributed by the lazy media each and every time its seen!

Not going to read it but is there any mention of the fact that sexual abuse of children in the catholic church precedes the Sandusky scandal by decades?

Reactions: BBrown

I might be mistaken, but I believe that Kristen Houser is also the spouse of a key individual in the Sandusky scandal.

Mike,

Thanks,
xxxx xxxxxxxx

Don’t hold your breath waiting for a well reasoned, accurate response.

Mike,

Thanks,
xxxx xxxxxxxx

giphy.gif

That was one of the most well written responses to this whole mess I've ever read!

Great job.....It should be pinned to the top of the message board for all to use in response to constant fake news distributed by the lazy media each and every time its seen!
Thing is that literally took me ten minutes to research the Fina and Myers quotes and write. It is missing other key points that would take another five minutes to Google. So just how LAZY are these journalists/editors in their fact finding? Or do they just skip that all together these days?

Thing is, people aren't using it to get clicks anymore. They actually think Paterno covered up for multiple allegations of the rapes of multiple boys.

That's what happens when you handle things the way that our BOT did. There's no question that most believe Paterno was protecting the football program at the expense of children. Now, we know that's wrong but when the school doesn't fight everyone is going to believe the narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT