Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
So good he deserves his own thread....

Watched the full game recording last night, and really impressed with #13
  • He's got power and quickness, if not the high end speed of #10
  • Seems to have good hands to use as an occasional pass catcher
  • Unusually good at identifying running lanes and using his blockers
  • Cuts back well and is not afraid to change direction early in a carry
  • Comps to previous PSU running backs -- Evan Royster?
  • Too early to say comps -- Lydell Mitchell? even John Cappelletti?
Thoughts?

I'm not quite sure I see a direct comparison yet either. Royster isn't a bad choice.

Allen has excellent vision. He also runs very hard and plays bigger than he is. I don't think he's got Nick's top end speed, but he's still very fast.

I'm waiting for the swing game and screen passes with him. An overly pursuing Michigan team sounds like the perfect time.

I am concerned about keeping him as he is going to be playing behind Singleton for the rest of this year and all of next year at best.

He seems faster than Singleton but doesn't have the strength. He'll need more holes whereas Singleton seems to be able to get more yards after the initial impact. Singleton has a very good straight arm.

On another note, Parker Washington looks amazing as a punt returner and I expect him to break one soon. As with Barkly, I am not a big fan of Singleton returning kicks when we have so much talent behind him that would be almost as effective.

Allen in my opinion running with Singleton is a great scenario....they each benefit each other, give rest.....but totally different skill sets. Save the wear and tear get his 8-15 carries.......

Agree on Parker....he is nifty with the ball in his hands..........

I am concerned about keeping him as he is going to be playing behind Singleton for the rest of this year and all of next year at best.

He seems faster than Singleton but doesn't have the strength. He'll need more holes whereas Singleton seems to be able to get more yards after the initial impact. Singleton has a very good straight arm.
Hopefully the staff can get both enough carries to keep them happy. You certainly need more than 1 capable back on a team. So far it seems like Allen is getting a decent amount of playing time.

Allen may not have pure sprinters speed, but he is "sudden" in that he is hits the hole quickly, is decisive and gets by defenders before they realize he has made his cut and they have lost the angle they had an instant ago....... And together with the power to drag defenders it will add up to lots of extra yards and a great YPC average.

Last edited:
Allen in my opinion running with Singleton is a great scenario....they each benefit each other, give rest.....but totally different skill sets. Save the wear and tear get his 8-15 carries.......

Agree on Parker....he is nifty with the ball in his hands..........
I'm with you here. These 2 as a thunder and lighting for a few years could make themselves a ton of money by saving the mileage of either one being a 25 carry a game back. They both could end up going 1st round if things play out right.

On another note, Parker Washington looks amazing as a punt returner and I expect him to break one soon. As with Barkly, I am not a big fan of Singleton returning kicks when we have so much talent behind him that would be almost as effective.
Wouldn't worry about "keeping" Allen. He and Singleton are in an ideal situation...each will get a ton of carries without getting punished a la an every down bell cow back.

I've watched a couple of the PSU games this year and after seeing Allar, Singleton, and Allen, I think it's safe to say that PSU hit the mother-lode with the skilled positions in the class of 2022. If CJF - and his staff - get the OL to perform at a decent level in future years, the sky is the limit for these guys.

I realize that Allar and Singleton are getting all of the headlines right now, but I've been as equally impressed with Allen. Every top program needs "a pair and a spare" at RB and PSU is set up perfectly in the future years. Plus, they compliment each other perfectly - thunder and lightening

It appears I'm in the minority, but if I had to rank the PSU RBs, it would go:

1. Singleton
2. Ford
3. Lee
4. Allen

I love Allen. In my opinion, he's our guy for running between the tackles and Singleton is the guy for the outside homeruns. I played outside linebacker in HS and running plays between the tackles that just gashed us were down right humilitating. I thought it was easy to shake off a long run that the runner bounced to the outside but the runs right into the heart of defense stung, badly. I think they are very complementary and am glad we have both on the team.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Wonder if CJF & MY will develop some 2-back sets/plays or other plays to get KA and NS on the field at the same time?

I could see shifting NS to the flaker position and leaving KA as the Single Back in an effort to back people out of a stacked box and occupy a LB or SS.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Woah...I'm not sure what you are watching.
Singleton and Allen, a big, BIG gap, then the other two. It's not even close.
Completely agree. I do like Lee a lot but he is plagued by incorrectly acting the part of a speed guy like Singleton rather than embracing the fact that he is built like a power back.

Thoughts?
He is damn good.

Completely agree. I do like Lee a lot but he is plagued by incorrectly acting the part of a speed guy like Singleton rather than embracing the fact that he is built like a power back.
I don't trust Lee with the ball in the 4th quarter. I trust the other guys.

I see it different. I see coach playing both players with a strong possibility that Penn State may have 2 1000 yd rushing backs in the same year within the next 3 seasons.
They both have instincts most Sr backs do-nothing have. Kaytron's shift on the pbe TD is an example.

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
I see it different. I see coach playing both players with a strong possibility that Penn State may have 2 1000 yd rushing backs in the same year within the next 3 seasons.
They both have instincts most Sr backs do-nothing have. Kaytron's shift on the pbe TD is an example.
Mary, whenever I see you post I think of that classic you posted back in 2016.

"I will be shot by a jealous woman when I am 102. I am only 72 now so I am safe."

Last edited:
Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Probably good enough to be the #1 RB on about 15-24 of the top 25 teams!!

And you know the one I believe is excluded......

;););)

Woah...I'm not sure what you are watching.
Singleton and Allen, a big, BIG gap, then the other two. It's not even close.

You are 100% correct! After Singleton and Allen there is a canyon size gap to the next RB on the depth chart.

You are 100% correct! After Singleton and Allen there is a canyon size gap to the next RB on the depth chart.
There is big talent gap but each one has a role. Lee is a big punisher who softens up DL. Allen has speed and power to hit LB / secondary and get big yards. Nick is edge home run hitter. Ford is our pass catching back on 3rd and long. Let's not forget against PU, Ford had big first down.catch and Lee caught winning TD. They are not top level starters but key depth.

Allen may not have pure sprinters speed, but he is "sudden" in that he is hits the hole quickly, is decisive and gets by defenders before they realize he has made his cut and they have lost the angle they had an instant ago....... And together with the power to drag defenders it will add up to lots of extra yards and a great YPC average.
Singleton and Allen both have what the team sorely lacked last year—the ability to burst through even a small hole. There will be enough playing time for both for the next few years.

There is big talent gap but each one has a role. Lee is a big punisher who softens up DL. Allen has speed and power to hit LB / secondary and get big yards. Nick is edge home run hitter. Ford is our pass catching back on 3rd and long. Let's not forget against PU, Ford had big first down.catch and Lee caught winning TD. They are not top level starters but key depth.
Absolutely correct.

Thoughts?
Right now he is the best overall back on the team. Has excellent vision, patience , and is more decisive. Nick is pretty much a hone run hitter @ this time. Still learning and will be better as the season progresses. Allen's exposure to a more pro style offense and superior competition @ IMG factors in. I would start Allen. Lee and Ford could be more effectively used if Clifford would look for them more as receivers. It seems to be Clifford's bind spot. Lee like Allen can wear defenses down.

Last edited:
I like them both. In fact i like all four of our backs. Singleton is big time and nearly broke a number of runs on Saturday. He does need to become more decisive in hitting holes while becoming more patient in plays up the middle and not looking to bounce everything to the outside. I do not believe that Allen has the 75 yard potential but he sure has shown an ability to see the hole and make the cuts to get there quickly. He is patient, deliberate and decisive with good quickness and power in space. He is fast and good in the open field but not "goodbye" fast. He and Singleton should both play on Sundays.

I like them both. In fact i like all four of our backs. Singleton is big time and nearly broke a number of runs on Saturday. He does need to become more decisive in hitting holes while becoming more patient in plays up the middle and not looking to bounce everything to the outside. I do not believe that Allen has the 75 yard potential but he sure has shown an ability to see the hole and make the cuts to get there quickly. He is patient, deliberate and decisive with good quickness and power in space. He is fast and good in the open field but not "goodbye" fast. He and Singleton should both play on Sundays.
I thought Allen looked faster than I expected on Saturday but a couple db's had the angle on him

Right now he is the best overall back on the team. Has excellent vision, patience , and is more decisive. Nick is pretty much a hone run hitter @ this time. Still learning and will be better as the season progresses. Allen's exposure to a more pro style offense and superior competition @ IMG factors in. I would start Allen. Lee and Ford could be more effectively used if Clifford would look for them more as receivers. It seems to be Clifford's bind spot. Lee like Allen can wear defenses down.
The left flat is Cliffs blind spot...but it won't be by mid season hopefully

Reactions: royboy
Lee is good but he's a back up at this point. 28 gives us a nice change of pace on 3 down.

Reactions: royboy
I thought Allen looked faster than I expected on Saturday but a couple db's had the angle on him
He's definitely not slow, but is quick with good vision and cutting ability rather than blazing fast. He gets to top end quickly and accelerates through the hole while being patient. Allen will not break many 70 yard runs, but a steady diet of 10 - 15 yards and the occasional 30 yarder are all we need. He's plenty fast enough right now. Maybe he's one of those guys that really gains top end speed through our strength program. Many have.

Reactions: Ski and royboy
He's definitely not slow, but is quick with good vision and cutting ability rather than blazing fast. He gets to top end quickly and accelerates through the hole while being patient. Allen will not break many 70 yard runs, but a steady diet of 10 - 15 yards and the occasional 30 yarder are all we need. He's plenty fast enough right now. Maybe he's one of those guys that really gains top end speed through our strength program. Many have.
Allen has another stat that I like a lot -- 0 yards in losses on rushing attempts (as a reference, Singleton has 13 yards in losses so far). In baseball terminology, Singleton is our Home Run hitter, but Allen is very productive with Singles and Doubles and rarely strikes out.

ADVERTISEMENT