ADVERTISEMENT

How do you expect James Franklin's 2020 team to perform compared to his previous Penn State teams?

Elite recruiter and a very good staff. He's done a good job. His game management is shit though, you guys, come on now. Don't be in denial.

Dude, you're a clown. Looking stupid on both the wrestling board and football board. Not a good start.

where have all the good trolls gone?

Well, it appears the Iowa and Pitt boards have been under ‘shelter in place’ orders for the last few months. It’s been quiet here without them. ;)

I am so disappointed in this board! Not one guy has come out and said what needs to be said...MikeJones2353 is a complete fvcking asshole!

Elite recruiter and a very good staff. He's done a good job. His game management is shit though, you guys, come on now. Don't be in denial.
Oh to be so wrong yet keep doubling down....when you’re in a hole, stop digging.

Depending on the outcome of a couple of plays in just a few games, we could go anywhere from 8 - 4 to 12 - 0. We have to be ready for VT as it is tough place to play, but we are better by a fair amount. We have not played well at Michigan, and we must change this. Mich is not coached as well we are which is tough to believe since they have Gods coaching them, the nosepicker, the best OC and the Holy Brown DC, Amen. Iowa is always tough, but we should win that and Indiana. OSU, we always play them tough and it's in our building. Hope it's not empty but who knows if we're even playing this year. I was hoping to see Clifford make a great leap forward. Would be tough to miss out on Parson's last season and Journey' s as well. We'll see.

PENN STATE FOOTBALL: 2020 DEPTH CHART

QB: Sean Clifford, Will Levis, Roberson/Johnson

RB: Journey Brown, Noah Cain, Devyn Ford, Holmes/Lee/Tank

WR: Jahan Dotson, CSB, KeAndre Smith
WR: Daniel George, Lutz, Weller
WR: TJ Jones, Dunmore, Dottin

TE: Pat Friermuth, Christain Kuntz, Brenton Strange, Johnson

LT: Rasheed Walker, Des Holmes
LG: Mike Miranda, Sal Wormley
OC: Mike Menet, Juice Scruggs
RG: TJ Thorpe, Anthony Whigan
RT: Will Fries, Caedan Wallace

- - - - -

DE: Shaka Toney, Adisa Isaac, Nick Tarburton
DT: PJ Mustipher, Judge Culpepper, Hakeem Beamon, DVon Ellies, Aeneas Hawkins
DT: Antonio Shelton, Fred Hansard, Damion Barber, Darkwa, Mulbah, Brevard
DE: Jayson Oweh, Shane Simmons, Smith Vilbert, Bryce Mostella

OLB: Micah Parsons, Charlie Katshir
ILB: Ellis Brooks, Jesse Luketa
OLB: Brandon Smith, Lance Dixon

CB: Tariq Castro-Fields, Keaton Ellis, Daequan Hardy
FS: Jaquan Brisker, Jonathan Sutherland, Enzo Jennings, CJ Holmes
SS: Lamont Wade, Tyler Rudolph, Trent Gordon
CB: Donovan Johnson, Marquis Wilson, Joey Porter Jr, Joe Johnson III
Star: Wade, Johnson, Hardy, Ellis

- - - - -

KO: Jordan Stout
PK: Jake Pinegar
PU: Jordan Stout
KR: Journey Brown, Devyn Ford
PR: Jahan Dotson

- - - - - - - - - -

Elite: OLB, KO
Love: RB, TE, OL, PK, PU
Like: QB, DE, DT, FS, SS, CB, KR
Uncertain: ILB, PR
Concerned: WR
I expect that they will do well in their on-line classes at a volume that exceeds the previous season.

The end-of-half, end-of-game clock management is definitely questionable at times. The use of timeouts right before half of the Cotton Bowl, for example, basically gave Memphis 3 points. This isn't new.

But his game management is actually pretty solid. If it was "bad", we wouldn't have won 11 games three times in four years. Not without Alabama-type talent.......which we haven't had.

My concern for 2020 (aside from WR) is the secondary. Have to cut down on the huge plays.
One of the advantages of watching plenty of CFB is you see how awful the game management is across the board. I'm face palming enough to cause permanent migraines.

I never understood why it was so hard (clearly it is, likely the pressure), but after seeing all these high end coaches repeatedly screwing the pooch... well, Franklin gets a pass.

Funny thing about "game management" is how easy it is for fans. Unencumbered by any of the vital facts that may impact the coaches decisions. Let's just break it down to something simple.....How many high school coaches decided not to punt in the 4th quarter because their only decent long snapper broke his finger? The coach is a fvcking idiot to every expert in the bleachers.
All the decisions that are simple to us.....just aren't that damn simple when you have all the variables to consider. There's an old saying in the football coaching business....."it depends who has the chalk last."

Funny thing about "game management" is how easy it is for fans. Unencumbered by any of the vital facts that may impact the coaches decisions. Let's just break it down to something simple.....How many high school coaches decided not to punt in the 4th quarter because their only decent long snapper broke his finger? The coach is a fvcking idiot to every expert in the bleachers.
All the decisions that are simple to us.....just aren't that damn simple when you have all the variables to consider. There's an old saying in the football coaching business....."it depends who has the chalk last."

That same sentiment can be applied to a host of other things....like college football coaches who step outside their area of expertise and make comments about health or social issues that are simply not as simple and clear cut as they would like to think.

That same sentiment can be applied to a host of other things....like college football coaches who step outside their area of expertise and make comments about health or social issues that are simply not as simple and clear cut as they would like to think.
You don't have to be a college coach to talk about shit you know nothing about.......this place is full of proof.

And to have the advantage of making the call after you see the results is another huge advantage for the fans. Every coach would be perfect if they could make the call after the fact.

And to have the advantage of making the call after you see the results is another huge advantage for the fans. Every coach would be perfect if they could make the call after the fact.
Yup. Fans think they thought of it before the play when they actually did not.

My take is that the loss of spring ball is going to loom large on this team. From a talent perspective, I think we'll have the best QB play of the Franklin era but the worst receiver play. I simply do not have faith in the current unit. Tights and back will be fine and the line will improve incrementally. Now the 800 pound gorilla. How far can Captain Kirk go with transitioning to her preferred pro-style offense? My thinking is not as far as he would like and we'll see a slight improvement in the offense due entirely to better route design. Clifford spent his first year throwing to receivers running routes designed for a run first dual threat QB and it showed.

Defensively, I doubt Pry will be able to fully implement the changes they showed in the bowl game which really showcased what Parson, Oweh and and Toney can do when paired with an odd front. The secondary looks like it will easily be the worst of the Franklin era. Special teams could be the best.

Thinking we are probably looking at 2 or 3 conference losses and 1 out of conference. Of course, I am hearing more and more they are planning for a compressed 8 game schedule featuring only conference games with championships and bowl games optional and no playoff, if they play at all, so who the heck knows.

Penn State will be favored in every game except at home vs. Ohio State, so 11-1 is expected. I think they can beat Ohio State this year, at home, but one of Va. Tech, Michigan, and Iowa could be an upset. I would love to see a run-the-table season, but I'm not sure there will be a season.

Penn State will be favored in every game except at home vs. Ohio State, so 11-1 is expected. I think they can beat Ohio State this year, at home, but one of Va. Tech, Michigan, and Iowa could be an upset. I would love to see a run-the-table season, but I'm not sure there will be a season.

I would have fully agreed had they had spring practice.

Because Iowa has had so much success against Franklin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT