ADVERTISEMENT

how do we matchup vs Indiana

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
last year's game was much tougher than most would have expected, and we were in danger of losing that game for a while. how do we matchup this year? i only saw some of their game vs tOSU and they looked very competitive. their D appeared to be a little dirty - hitting Barrett late.

last year's game was much tougher than most would have expected, and we were in danger of losing that game for a while. how do we matchup this year? i only saw some of their game vs tOSU and they looked very competitive. their D appeared to be a little dirty - hitting Barrett late.
I'll wait for Tboyer's analysis, which will include a worst case scenario for all things Penn State.

Reactions: Madsol
We're still playing them in football this Saturday, right? It ain't basketball season yet. IU plays well in Bloomington but not so much in State College. We'll pull away in the 2nd half and win by 20+. Bet your house on it.

Think it will be a tough one but expect to prevail. Put Miles back for KR and give him a few more reps this week. Bring back the Stevens packages. If Wright is back at RT that will be a big help, thought Fries was a big improvement in the second half over Nelson.

Reactions: lionsnphils
Think it will be a tough one but expect to prevail. Put Miles back for KR and give him a few more reps this week. Bring back the Stevens packages. If Wright is back at RT that will be a big help, thought Fries was a big improvement in the second half over Nelson.
Ned, your post does not pass the TBoyer eye test: I see no walls closing in, no impending doom, no worst case scenario, no over inflation of the other team, and no magnifying glass looking for every possible chance at a disadvantage for PSU. That whole "real" aspect of your post won't cut it.

Another stat I looked up: Iowa is in the top 5 nationally in fewest kickoff and punt return yardage given up. I don't believe it was an accident that we couldn't produce there.

The only thing that worries me about Indiana is how we decide to match up with their 4/5 WR looks. We have yet to face a really strong passing attack. Their lack of running game should be enough for us to set them up for multiple turnovers.

I suspect our offense has a field day. Early and often.

They did compete well with tOSU for a half and had 420 yards or so passing. Unfortunately for the Hoosier's, they turned the ball over 3 times - 2 picks and a fumble lost. The Bucknuts had 0 turnovers. Also, tOSU moved the ball at will once they got going - almost 600 total yards. PSU is favored by 18 at home because they are better than IU.

Last edited:

Glad this game is at home and 3:30 kickoff. It will be a good test. Indiana's defense is pretty solid but not sure what to make of their offense right now. Good WRs but seem to be pretty average everywhere else.

Indiana does not have the defensive discipline to do what Iowa did. Indiana has a real issue running the ball against Ohio St and it really hurt them.

Cobbs is the main threat. Excellent wide receiver and Pry will need to account for him in the game plan. They play two qb's against nearly everyone else, but against us, it's usually just the passer we see. That might change as their new system may show both, but it was almost all Lagow vs Ohio State. Our job is laid out for us defensively, and offensively, we need to get back to work this week and get better. Do this, and we'll be alright on Saturday at Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
They did compete well with tOSU and had 420 yards or so passing. Unfortunately for the Hoosier's, they turned the ball over 3 times - 2 picks and a fumble lost. The Bucknuts had 0 turnovers. Also, tOSU moved the ball at will once they got going - almost 600 total yards. PSU is favored by 18 at home because they are better than IU.
-I think OSU outscored IU 36-7 in the second half.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Cobbs is the main threat. Excellent wide receiver and Pry will need to account for him in the game plan. They play two qb's against nearly everyone else, but against us, it's usually just the passer we see. That might change as their new system may show both, but it was almost all Lagow vs Ohio State. Our job is laid out for us defensively, and offensively, we need to get back to work this week and get better. Do this, and we'll be alright on Saturday at Beaver Stadium.
Lagow is banged up. Don't know to what extent yet.

The only thing that worries me about Indiana is how we decide to match up with their 4/5 WR looks. We have yet to face a really strong passing attack. Their lack of running game should be enough for us to set them up for multiple turnovers.

I suspect our offense has a field day. Early and often.

I hope CJF and Pry have learned that Apke can not cover a WR, and puts Castro Fields and Wade on the field more often. In addition to Scott.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I hope CJF and Pry have learned that Apke can not cover a WR, and puts Castro Fields and Wade on the field more often. In addition to Scott.
They have had about three years of tape to figure that out. I've concluded that there just truly must not be another viable option. Awesome athlete, but looks like what he is: a Y receiver they moved to safety due to need. I applaud his selflessness and contributions to yesterday's win nonetheless.

Look for a big dose of Wade and Castro-Fields in nickel and dime this week, which is a good thing. They need the benefit of game experience going forward.

This also feels like the appropriate place to state that this is the week we will begin to miss John Reid, who is one hell of a player.

They have had about three years of tape to figure that out. I've concluded that there just truly must not be another viable option. Awesome athlete, but looks like what he is: a Y receiver they moved to safety due to need. I applaud his selflessness and contributions to yesterday's win nonetheless.

Look for a big dose of Wade and Castro-Fields in nickel and dime this week, which is a good thing. They need the benefit of game experience going forward.

This also feels like the appropriate place to state that this is the week we will begin to miss John Reid, who is one hell of a player.

have not noticed Amani (#21) back in the lineup. anyone know what his status is?

Amani was probably held out knowing they wouldn't need extra DB help vs Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT