ADVERTISEMENT

How did we not make the NIT??

Wait ..... some of our fans are "complaining" that a 14-18 team got "ripped off" ?????

Sorry. But when you go 14-18, you should not be complaining about being left out of ANYTHING

Exactly. The only thing those fans should be complaining about IS BEING 14 and 18 !!!

Reactions: Howie'81
Honestly, don’t really think it’s an over inflation on this board (with exception of small subset of posters). As bizarre as it sounds, even after losing to Minny, appears PSU still considered a Quad 1 team. A lot of the media & the various power rankings have really raised perception of PSU in the last month.

This is correct. In the final NET rankings PSU is actually the #50 team in the country. In the KenPom ratings we're actually #40. We're the 5th best team in the country to not get a NCAA bid (and we didn't get an NIT one either). I'm not taking away anything from the record. You are what your record says you are. However, it's amusing that if we scheduled harder last year we would've made the tournament. And if we scheduled easier this year we would've made the tournament. But to say this team would legitimately be favored over most of those teams is pretty accurate.

Reactions: The Shelter
This is correct. In the final NET rankings PSU is actually the #50 team in the country. In the KenPom ratings we're actually #40. We're the 5th best team in the country to not get a NCAA bid (and we didn't get an NIT one either). I'm not taking away anything from the record. You are what your record says you are. However, it's amusing that if we scheduled harder last year we would've made the tournament. And if we scheduled easier this year we would've made the tournament. But to say this team would legitimately be favored over most of those teams is pretty accurate.

The team would have been better served had it won more games, but that's just me.

The frustrating thing is watching tOSU get in to the Show this season with an 8-12 conference record and an 8th place finish. That was part of the issue actually for PSU this season--more conference games so a tougher schedule and less cupcakes. But last year leaving out a 13-5 in conference Nebraska was even worse than leaving us out. Part of it is the name.

Reactions: psu1969a
The frustrating thing is watching tOSU get in to the Show this season with an 8-12 conference record and an 8th place finish. That was part of the issue actually for PSU this season--more conference games so a tougher schedule and less cupcakes. But last year leaving out a 13-5 in conference Nebraska was even worse than leaving us out. Part of it is the name.
Name means nothing. The committee shows it year and year, and yet people still bring it up. Yesterday, there was one team that everyone missed on...Belmont. Do you think it's their name that got them in?

Nebraska went 13-5, but you need to dig deeper into those 13 wins. With unbalanced schedules, all conference records are created differently. First off, they did nothing OOC. 9-4 with no good wins (best win was home over Boston College) against a schedule with a strength in the 200s. In conference, they only played the top 4 teams once each, and also missed out on Indiana a 2nd time who tied for 6th. They did get the bottom 3 teams twice each. It was almost the easiest schedule possible.

They weren't even that close at 13-5, and ended up being sent on the road in the NIT (ie, weren't one of the top 16 teams to miss the tournament).

I’m fine with not making either tournament. We have to give Pat a few more years to build the program to the point we’re a threat to make the NIT annually. Then, after a few more years, Pat might finally get us to the NCAA Tournament.

The cbi is a pay-to-play tournament, for those who do not know

And I believe the last time PSU played in and hosted they took a bath financially (As many of these teams do) because they could not sell enough tickets to offset the buy-in. It basically is paying for air-time for a 2 hour infomercial about your program.

Terrible??

We beat Maryland, Michigan, Va Tech.

Butler, Dayton, San Diego woukd get ran from the gym against them.

L - DePaul
L - Bradley
L - Maryland
L - Indiana
L - North Carolina State
L - Alabama
L - Michigan
L - Wisconsin
L - Nebraska
L - Michigan State
L - Iowa
L - Minnesota
L - Rutgers
L - Purdue
L - Ohio State
L - Purdue
L - Wisconsin
L - Minnesota

They were 14-18? That's terrible. If they would have had a winning record, they are in.

IF they had a .500 record they'd be in. 16-16 probably has them in. But they did not. They were 14-18.

Defending champs, one of the hottest B1G teams down the stretch.

How did Georgetown, Dayton, San Diego, Xavier, Toledo, Butler, Colorado make it over us??
CHAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps Bruce, Jerry, and Ed are on the committee of ex coaches and held them out due to bitterness?

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2017 tournament. The main highlights are:

• Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids.
  • Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.
In addition, the selection process was changed. ESPN no longer had a hand in the selection of the teams. Instead, a committee of former NCAA head coaches

Name means nothing. The committee shows it year and year, and yet people still bring it up. Yesterday, there was one team that everyone missed on...Belmont. Do you think it's their name that got them in?

Nebraska went 13-5, but you need to dig deeper into those 13 wins. With unbalanced schedules, all conference records are created differently. First off, they did nothing OOC. 9-4 with no good wins (best win was home over Boston College) against a schedule with a strength in the 200s. In conference, they only played the top 4 teams once each, and also missed out on Indiana a 2nd time who tied for 6th. They did get the bottom 3 teams twice each. It was almost the easiest schedule possible.

They weren't even that close at 13-5, and ended up being sent on the road in the NIT (ie, weren't one of the top 16 teams to miss the tournament).
And you missed the point. How did tOSU get in this year???

Reactions: bison13
Because they had one of the best 36 resumes. Everyone that was paying attention expected them to get in (or had them in). They weren’t that close to not making it (as evidenced by them avoiding Dayton).

Exactly. The only thing those fans should be complaining about IS BEING 14 and 18 !!!
I tripped over a stone, my shoes were untied, the sun is in my eyes, sob, sob, sob, whine, whine, whine. How about the school man up, support the program, and win some freaking games? Now there's an idea! Until then, I'll thoroughly enjoying wrestling and doubt I'll watch much of the dance.

We lost to freakin' middle of the road Minnesota TWICE!!! We lost to Rutgers, Butler, etc. Yeah we played some teams tough. Yeah we had 2 or 3 upsets, but c'mon now!!! College hoops is often about playing well down the stretch of a game and we sucked at it. You know what happens then? You go 14 - 18 and 7 - 14 in conference. Wonder why KenPom doesn't factor in that the object of the game is to score more points than the opponent and that the better teams do that more often than not?

I’m fine with not making either tournament. We have to give Pat a few more years to build the program to the point we’re a threat to make the NIT annually. Then, after a few more years, Pat might finally get us to the NCAA Tournament.
LOL - It might play out just like that. Every coach should get 2 decades to figure it out.

Resume and having their star Kaleb Wesson back. They went through a really rough patch when he was suspended. Played a lot better the last couple of games after his return. Right or wrong, I believe that injuries and suspensions influences the committee. That and those crooked a-holes probably slipped some money to a few selection committee members

We lost to freakin' middle of the road Minnesota TWICE!!! We lost to Rutgers, Butler, etc. Yeah we played some teams tough. Yeah we had 2 or 3 upsets, but c'mon now!!! College hoops is often about playing well down the stretch of a game and we sucked at it. You know what happens then? You go 14 - 18 and 7 - 14 in conference. Wonder why KenPom doesn't factor in that the object of the game is to score more points than the opponent and that the better teams do that more often than not?
Yes, but one should ignore the 0-10 conference start and only focus on the 7-4 finish. ;)

Because they had one of the best 36 resumes. Everyone that was paying attention expected them to get in (or had them in). They weren’t that close to not making it (as evidenced by them avoiding Dayton).

I've followed Dayton (UD) since my youngest son enrolled there in 2011. They have build a nice BB tradition of winning. The BB tradition also goes to their arena which has held/hosted more NCAA games than any other venue in these United States.

But UD wins games. And hires coaches that can recruit and develop players and are competent game managers as well. When Archie Miller left for Indiana they brought in their current coach that has them back on track after some turnover. UD actually does have a young team and unless their freshman center declares for the draft they will likely make the NCAA next season.

So the NIT will likely be a stepping stone for UD. i.e. in a good way. Where as for PSU it was a stepping stone back in the the ocean of losing basketball. Even with 2 potentially marginal NBA players on the roster as upper classmen this season in Stevens and Watkins.

But as anyone that has navigated the business world knows, low performers and incompetent people/workers, and in this case coaches, are not at fault when the low performance continues. That blame rests squarely on the hiring manager and supervisor of the low performer. In the case of PSU men's BB that's Sandy. Pat is what he is - a mediocre performer. At his point it is Sandy that is the joke, sadly for anyone that has now or has had any hope that PSU BB will get to be a consistent NCAA team. And the excuses are just that, excuses.....

Last edited:
Not Minnesota. Lost to them twice!
And if we played them tomorrow for a third time, we’d be a small favorite (on a neutral court).

Losing by 1 at their place actually bumps us up (and them down) in anyone's power ratings.

And if we played them tomorrow for a third time, we’d be a small favorite (on a neutral court).

Losing by 1 at their place actually bumps us up (and them down) in anyone's power ratings.

Didn’t we just lose to them on a neutral court a few days ago? ;)

They also beat Purdue and won 20 games.

They also beat Purdue and won 20 games.
The number of wins is really irrelevant when setting a line (it's a concept that a lot of non-gamblers struggle to grasp). Minnesota was sitting at 19-12 and heading to the NCAA tourney when we met last week, while we were 14-17. Minnesota won our only meeting. Yet, as I called it, PSU ended up as a few point favorite.

Yep. They also just beat Purdue on a neutral court too, and Purdue would be favored heavily over them again.

Penn State isn’t Purdue in basketball. Trying to equate the 2 is not accurate.

I appreciate the upbeat attitude but people are going way overboard about this team. This team’s whole claim to fame is finishing the year..... 7-4.

IMO this team wouldn’t be favored over a 21-13 Minnesota team that has already beaten Penn St twice this year, (including just a week ago), and who also just beat Purdue.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this point. ;)

IMO this team wouldn’t be favored over a 21-13 Minnesota team that has already beaten Penn St twice this year, (including just a week ago), and who also just beat Purdue.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this point. ;)
It is what it is. We'll never play them tomorrow, but I'll tell you as someone that does this every day that we'd be about a 1-2 point favorite over them if we did play tomorrow. We lost to them in OT so neither of us moved much, they then beat Purdue which gave them a bump, and followed it up getting thumped by Michigan which dropped them back to where they were heading to Chicago.

I'm guessing that you didn't expect us to be a 3 point favorite last Thursday (I had it at 1, but expected it to be 2-2.5 with the $ PSU had been taking as of late).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT