ADVERTISEMENT

How did PJ Mustipher play today??

I thought Mustepher, Windsor.....really all of the DTs played the run very well. Did not get a ton of penetration on throws, but Pickett was getting the ball out quickly.

Reactions: RochLion
There are certainly things to criticize about our defense, like consistently letting receivers go uncovered on third and long, and lack of any real success rushing the quarterback by our so-called freakishly athletic defensive ends. But the problem with this team is not the defense.

Mustipher looked REALLY good. He is going to be outstanding and he already looks like a legit Big Ten defensive tackle.

The PSU DTs were just dominating the middle of the field. Pitt had 48 yards rushing for the game? The depth at DT is just huge and everybody is contributing.

Hansard and Shelton were terrific.

The whole D -- lots to work on, sure. But they're already good -- look at how many points they've give up to two good offenses the last 2 weeks. And they're going to be better.

Mustipher looked REALLY good. He is going to be outstanding and he already looks like a legit Big Ten defensive tackle.

The PSU DTs were just dominating the middle of the field. Pitt had 48 yards rushing for the game? The depth at DT is just huge and everybody is contributing.

Hansard and Shelton were terrific.

The whole D -- lots to work on, sure. But they're already good -- look at how many points they've give up to two good offenses the last 2 weeks. And they're going to be better.

24 yards rushing I believe but great response sir. I mean that.

Reactions: RochLion
I wrote it in another thread, but isn't it funny how we all thought the DEs would be awesome and the DTs were suspect? It seems to be exactly the opposite.

I thought the DT's played ok they were especially good against the run. But I'm a little surprised that we are not seeing more from Windsor.

Windsor is being double teamed on almost every play, and is making as many plays as any of the DT's. None of the defensive tackles are getting much penetration. It's hard to get any penetration when you are getting double teamed. The LB's are doing great job.

Reactions: BBrown
I wrote it in another thread, but isn't it funny how we all thought the DEs would be awesome and the DTs were suspect? It seems to be exactly the opposite.

I'm still pretty confident about the DEs. Gross-Matos hasn't been himself yet. Maybe the summer at home really set him back in his conditioning and strength but as long as he's healthy, he will be a terror again by mid-season. Toney has been very active, only had one sack yesterday but had pressure like 5 other times. Simmons is healthy and looking better than ever. And Oweh looks like a redshirt freshmen jumping around but he will improve too.

Meanwhile, the DTs.... Micah Parsons was commenting about how good Mustipher is already as a second year player, how he's going to be a star -- you can see it. He's active, consistently getting penetration and making things happen. Looks quick AND strong. Shelton and Hansard have played well and look like B1G defensive tackles. And Windsor is playing like the senior he is -- he usually gets double teamed which is his job. So much to like about that group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT