ADVERTISEMENT

How big an advantage will Michigan have in Detroit?

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
Just wondering how big an advantage is the home mat in Nationals for Michigan?

Strong enough to make them a 2nd place threat.
Actually I don't think the home mat will affect the results much at all. Talent and preparation will be the biggest difference.
Agree it shouldn't be enough, but disagree with the rest. Having the Championships in your back yard minimizes travel, and the kids can sleep in their own beds an extra night or two. A long, bus trip would be bad enough, a flight worse, for those arriving in Detroit a couple days prior to the start of the festivities.

Agree it shouldn't be enough, but disagree with the rest. Having the Championships in your back yard minimizes travel, and the kids can sleep in their own beds an extra night or two. A long, bus trip would be bad enough, a flight worse, for those arriving in Detroit a couple days prior to the start of the festivities.
Plus, they may have a driver that knows how to avoid the canyon-sized potholes that pepper Detroit these days.

been to visit my girl Ann Arbor a few times. She was only nice to me 1 out of the 4 times I was there.

Each time we stayed in Detroit with friends who lived there. Detroit was a dump, but still had fun. There was a redwings place we went to which was a blast.

Michigan only has a home mat advantage in their collective minds. Outside of that its the Lions and Hawks figuring it out.

Reactions: ccdiver
Detroit has gone through a resurgence, and the downtown area, to the Little Caesar's Arena is nice. There are some areas that are not so good (high crime, etc.), but those are easily avoided by visitors. Looking forward to this trip.

Reactions: d-1980
I don’t know but what about that Bartlett vs Van Brill match? Anyone think he had the TD or danger? What’s the rule book say?

:)

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Detroit has gone through a resurgence, and the downtown area, to the Little Caesar's Arena is nice. There are some areas that are not so good (high crime, etc.), but those are easily avoided by visitors. Looking forward to this trip.
Got my hotel and plane ticket for Detroit. Now all I need are tickets to the show….

Reactions: RoarLions1
This, Detroit has some really bad spots still, but it’s way way better than it was and has some really nice spots. As for an advantage for Michigan, not very much in my mind. Less travel, family and friends get to attend sure, but other than that? Biggest difference it made for Michigan was probably any influence it had on Amine and Massa coming back for an extra year to wrestle at NCAAs like 30 minutes from Amine’s hometown and like 2 hours from Massa’s. If it’s in St. Louis or wherever do they come back?

Maybe the PSWC busses can make a pass through 8 mile to see how far it's come. 😁

Reactions: hlstone
Got my hotel and plane ticket for Detroit. Now all I need are tickets to the show….
You know, it seems like a lot of us are in this boat. We're into the second half of January and just a ton of regulars still don't have tix.

10 qualifiers
10 national champs
hold the damn tournament in Canada for all I care

We Are.

I have it on good authority that we don't want to lose Jet's Pizza anyway, plus the Henry Ford Museum is amazing. Best we keep it, though as a 90s Bulls fan we can definitely give them the Pistons as an act of goodwill.

As a point of comparison, at Joe Louis Arena when Penn State Men's Hockey won the B1G Tournament, Detroit provided no home ice advantage. I think hockey is much bigger than wrestling at the University of Michigan.

I have it on good authority that we don't want to lose Jet's Pizza anyway, plus the Henry Ford Museum is amazing. Best we keep it, though as a 90s Bulls fan we can definitely give them the Pistons as an act of goodwill.

If we give them Detroit then we have to make them take Ann Arbor and UM as a package deal. As to UM and Detroit; one is an aging, rusting shell of its glory days and the other is a large city in Michigan.

Reactions: nitlion6
Is wrestling in Detroit actually an advantage for Michigan at Nats?

I think it might make them wrestle tight, and they have a history of underperforming as it is.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
If we give them Detroit then we have to make them take Ann Arbor and UM as a package deal. As to UM and Detroit; one is an aging, rusting shell of its glory days and the other is a large city in Michigan.
The University of Michigan remains an outstanding university. ( and I didn’t go there.).

This, Detroit has some really bad spots still, but it’s way way better than it was and has some really nice spots. As for an advantage for Michigan, not very much in my mind. Less travel, family and friends get to attend sure, but other than that? Biggest difference it made for Michigan was probably any influence it had on Amine and Massa coming back for an extra year to wrestle at NCAAs like 30 minutes from Amine’s hometown and like 2 hours from Massa’s. If it’s in St. Louis or wherever do they come back?
I’ll second that. Good for Detroit.

How big an advantage do the Detroit Lions have in Detroit? That's about as much of an advantage as I'd give to the Meatchicken there.

Reactions: nitlion6
IIRC there was an article posted last year that her son is on the team.

I wonder if she'll provide commentary about her son getting broken in half by Levi Haines next year.
She will never allow her son to step onto a mat with Levi! Tom Ryan has already explained to her how traumatizing it is to watch your son be mauled by one of those damn lions.

She will never allow her son to step onto a mat with Levi! Tom Ryan has already explained to her how traumatizing it is to watch your son be mauled by one of those damn lions.
Maybe she wants her kid to have a Michael Strahan spitter gap?

ADVERTISEMENT