ADVERTISEMENT

How About A Return To Historical Greatness...

androcles

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
...most of you cannot remember the last time we faced inserting a few untested LBs for the second game of the season...
...but 1967 was the year...and Dennis Onkotz and Jim Kates were the untested LBs...
...they were Sophomores but back then Freshmen were not eligible..
...and Onkotz didn't even come to school until October of his freshman year (1966) because he had a summer job at Bethlehem Steel that ran into October...which was after PSU had played 2 games...!
...Penn State was upset by an underdog Navy team 22-23 in the first game of the 1967 season and Penn State had an away game at highly-favored Miami the following week...
...Joe started the usual players for the first play but then sent in several Sophomores...to the surprise of everyone...and they beat Miami...and went on to the most successful run for three years in Penn State football history...
...hmmm...

Reactions: nits74
...most of you cannot remember the last time we faced inserting a few untested LBs for the second game of the season...
...but 1967 was the year...and Dennis Onkotz and Jim Kates were the untested LBs...
...and Onkotz didn't even come to school until October of his freshman year (1966) because he had a summer job at Bethlehem Steel that ran into October...which was after PSU had played 2 games...!
...Penn State was upset by an underdog Navy team 22-23 in the first game of the 1967 season and Penn State had an away game at highly-favored Miami the following week...
...Joe started the usual players for the first play but then sent in several Sophomores...to the surprise of everyone...and they beat Miami...and went on to the most successful run for three years in Penn State football history...
...hmmm...
I remember.........

I remember.........
I do as well. The 17-8 night win over Miami followed later in the season by the 13-8 win over 3rd ranked and undefeated N.C. State. Wonderful days in my very young life. Great post.

Just put on the ruby slippers, click your heels three times and repeat: "there's no place like home", "there's no place like home","there's no place like home", "there's no place like home", ......

Reactions: fairgambit
One thing I know, we all want to be popular and please everyone. But, I believe there comes a time in every coaches career where we look into the abyss. At this point you resolve that if you are going down, you are doing it by sticking with your principles and philosophy. I think JF is at this juncture. Joe was there when he decided to put the sophomores in and the rest is history;

I remember and have said the same thing. but do we have the players to do this?

...hmmm...
Androcles, great story about Onkotz and his late enrollment. Never heard that story before. Love hearing these kinds of tidbits about PSU history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT