ADVERTISEMENT

Holy H**L, that was some fun . . .

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Despite PSU losing the dual, that certainly lived up to the hype. I'll
take it.

First, props to the Hawkeyes for hanging tough when circumstances were grim.

Second, best wishes for DeSanto's health. I know there is some debate about what happened, but we'll see how it plays out.

Joseph-Marinelli . . . no mas, no mas! That was brutal. I'll probably have to answer to my wife tomorrow for all the hooplah when Joseph threw Marinelli to his back, but it was worth it. Damn, though, Marinelli is a fighter. I don't want these guys facing one another again until Natty's.

Kemerer. Give him his due. I have every confidence Hall will make the appropriate adjustments and come
out on top the next 2 times, but give Kemerer and his coaches some serious credit for doing their homework. Oh, and I'll probably also have to answer to my wife tomorrow for the loud, maniacal giggling when Hall jacked up double-unders and hip-tossed for a near-perfect coffin nail. Next time, Champ, next time.

Brooks stepped up. Looked relaxed and confident. Cael-prepped. Good win there.

Pipher -- can't knock this kid after that performance. Wrestled a good, tough match against a high-quality wrestler who inexplicably had no interest in anything but claw-rides. Ok, some hyperbole there . . . but Pipher worked his butt off to keep
it close and even force a stall call.

Nick Lee: Demolition Man.

Hawk Fans -- filled the seats, were loud and passionate. Fans in the stands are 50% of the formula
for fun wrestling. It was great experience for our young guys.

5 weeks . . .

Slush good post..great dual both teams gave it all they had.
I said before the match knew it would be close no way one team was going to run away with it..
Penn State are the champs and will be till someone takes it away from them..
So we have to wait till March and we know it will be one heck of a battle and a great show..Hope you guys stay healthy and Hawks can hope that maybe Desanto not as bad as it seemed..Slush u know Goldbanger he is one great penn state fan I have had many talks with him at St Louis and Okl City at nationals..

Missed the match as it sounds like this is why wrestling is so interesting as we roll into crunch time. As I’m reading these threads I see RBY twice slapped a cradle on DeSanto and NLee, Joseph, and Hall had their guys on their backs but couldn’t finish? Great job by Brooks after last week. Can PSU ride these five to the crown in March?

Reactions: Petch
Missed the match as it sounds like this is why wrestling is so interesting as we roll into crunch time. As I’m reading these threads I see RBY twice slapped a cradle on DeSanto and NLee, Joseph, and Hall had their guys on their backs but couldn’t finish? Great job by Brooks after last week. Can PSU ride these five to the crown in March?
Nick Lee had his guy decked about 3 times. The refs reflexes were a little off.
I didn't see the pin others claim with Cenzo, but I damn near broke my ceiling fan when it happened. The Cenzo - Bull upper body stuff seems like a coin flip. That was a war. Catch the replay.
Definitely no pin in the Hall match. Kemerer wrestled a great match, but I'm confident Hall will get him next time (or next 2 times).
AB was simply controlled and dominating.
I agree, we have a damn good chance with those 5. Things happen in March. Things will happen to both teams. I'm feeling like we need 4 of those 5 in the finals Saturday night. I like our chances.

In fairness to the four you mentioned, two definitely finished, one may have finished, and one probably finished that every other time in his career. Let’s just say that follows their order in the lineup.

random Iowa thoughts:
Big Grove Brewing has some great hazy IPA’s.
First visit to Iowa and to Carver Arena, and checked a bucket list item off. Got to the match about an hour and a half prior, saw 1 other fan from PA that I knew. No metal defectors or security to speak of on entrance. We picked out only 17 PSU fans in blue n white gear, out of 15k in black n Gold. Match was exciting and lived up to the hype. Soft ice cream wasn’t bad; had to try it.
Iowa fans are very passionate, and have now experienced how often they call stalling. The young lady emcee even joked about it pre match. RBY looked puzzled when ref stopped match 2x. Hate to see anyone injured so hope DeSanto ok to face him again in post season. Kind of disappointed in hearing the booing of PSU by some Hawk fans. Didn’t really expect that and seemed a lack of respect for a quality opponent and team. From our seats and view of replays on big screen, it looked like Lee and Joseph could have had Falls. Def seemed to be some homerish calls, but expected that a bit. All in all much closer than many thought and am optimistic for PSU chances in Minneapolis. Can’t wait.

take it.

Second, best wishes for DeSanto's health. I know there is some debate about what happened, but we'll see how it plays out.

Joseph-Marinelli . . . no mas, no mas! That was brutal. I'll probably have to answer to my wife tomorrow for all the hooplah when Joseph threw Marinelli to his back, but it was worth it. Damn, though, Marinelli is a fighter. I don't want these guys facing one another again until Natty's.

Kemerer. Give him his due. I have every confidence Hall will make the appropriate adjustments and come
out on top the next 2 times, but give Kemerer and his coaches some serious credit for doing their homework. Oh, and I'll probably also have to answer to my wife tomorrow for the loud, maniacal giggling when Hall jacked up double-unders and hip-tossed for a near-perfect coffin nail. Next time, Champ, next time.

Pipher -- can't knock this kid after that performance. Wrestled a good, tough match against a high-quality wrestler who inexplicably had no interest in anything but claw-rides. Ok, some hyperbole there . . . but Pipher worked his butt off to keep

Hawk Fans -- filled the seats, were loud and passionate. Fans in the stands are 50% of the formula

5 weeks . . .
Great match, these guys were one win away from taking the Hawks down on their home mat. We were so close. Great job by Cael and the boys.

I went to bed early last night because I wasn't feeling well and I haven't yet watched the replay, but imagine my surprise to learn that PSU fell because Kemerer beat Hall, which I never would have imagined. Surprised to hear about cradles here and there, Hawkeyes on their backs, etc., but I'm obviously excited and curious to watch the replay. Just a shame that it didn't turn out the other way. And obviously, with Cassar and Berge, it's not really that close (even with Hall losing). Sounds like it was a great dual though, congratulations to the Hawkeyes and kudos to the PSU guys who wrestled their hearts out.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
I went to bed early last night because I wasn't feeling well and I haven't yet watched the replay, but imagine my surprise to learn that PSU fell because Kemerer beat Hall, which I never would have imagined. Surprised to hear about cradles here and there, Hawkeyes on their backs, etc., but I'm obviously excited and curious to watch the replay. Just a shame that it didn't turn out the other way. And obviously, with Cassar and Berge, it's not really that close (even with Hall losing). Sounds like it was a great dual though, congratulations to the Hawkeyes and kudos to the PSU guys who wrestled their hearts out.
It was a great match. You'll enjoy the replay. We've been wanting Marky to open up, and he is this year. He went for it, and I think he dumped a lot of energy early. Credit to Kem though. He wrestled a great match. Feel better!

Morning after: Heck yeah it was fun! Would have loved to see Mark get the big move, obviously, or Cenzo to finish his (I didn’t see a pin, but it was close). But what has me smiling is that we went for it. Can’t always win, but you can always have effort and attitude. Some guy says that a lot.

Amazing how close it was considering the holes at 125, 149, 157, and 197. Missed on several pins although RBY got his six. Sounds like NLee, Joseph, and Hall had them on the ropes but for whatever reason couldn’t finish. Iowa is tough but they have to be disappointed their guys didn’t bonus at 49 and 57. Other than SLee not sure they have the bonus ops to seal the deal. Should be a barn burner at Nationals with B1Gs just a tune up. Got to love Kemerer and his gutsy performance. Cassioppi is a great one, too. Marinelli is a warrior. The others are good but #5 Young over Pipher by only 6-1? And Lugo? So impressed with Brooks after the Nebraska bout.

It was a great match. You'll enjoy the replay. We've been wanting Marky to open up, and he is this year. He went for it, and I think he dumped a lot of energy early. Credit to Kem though. He wrestled a great match. Feel better!
I think Hall was heavily into Cenzo's match, came out looking for the big move to put the match away, almost had it and after that the emotional gas tank went to E real fast.

I think Hall was heavily into Cenzo's match, came out looking for the big move to put the match away, almost had it and after that the emotional gas tank went to E real fast.

I was a little "concerned" before he took the mat that he wasn't taking enough time for himself. Kemerer had done his homework, though. I think Hall reverses the outcome the next time(s) they face off.

Reactions: Lyons212
165 might have been the best match I’ve ever seen in a dual meet. Edge of your seat scoreless first period wondering who was getting tossed. Both guys getting put on their backs in the second, one saved by the bell. Both guys a bloody mess. And, oh yeah, the two best guys in the country doing it. 165-184. Nobody ranked lower than 10th, and 4 of the 6 saw some time on their backs. Great night.

take it.

5 weeks . . .

this is exactly the kind of post I love. None of this bull#hit, hateful stuff. It sold out an arena. Probably had good tv ratings. It pumps everything up for nationals. More drama, more storylines, more entertainment for us. As a guy from PA, it just showcased to the world how great PA wrestling is.

165 might have been the best match I’ve ever seen in a dual meet. Edge of your seat scoreless first period wondering who was getting tossed. Both guys getting put on their backs in the second, one saved by the bell. Both guys a bloody mess. And, oh yeah, the two best guys in the country doing it. 165-184. Nobody ranked lower than 10th, and 4 of the 6 saw some time on their backs. Great night.
It was awesome. Some were comparing it to Shultz-Banach. High praise.

There was precious little “saving of team points” tactics you see in far too many Duals

random Iowa thoughts:
Big Grove Brewing has some great hazy IPA’s.
First visit to Iowa and to Carver Arena, and checked a bucket list item off. Got to the match about an hour and a half prior, saw 1 other fan from PA that I knew. No metal defectors or security to speak of on entrance. We picked out only 17 PSU fans in blue n white gear, out of 15k in black n Gold. Match was exciting and lived up to the hype. Soft ice cream wasn’t bad; had to try it.
Iowa fans are very passionate, and have now experienced how often they call stalling. The young lady emcee even joked about it pre match. RBY looked puzzled when ref stopped match 2x. Hate to see anyone injured so hope DeSanto ok to face him again in post season. Kind of disappointed in hearing the booing of PSU by some Hawk fans. Didn’t really expect that and seemed a lack of respect for a quality opponent and team. From our seats and view of replays on big screen, it looked like Lee and Joseph could have had Falls. Def seemed to be some homerish calls, but expected that a bit. All in all much closer than many thought and am optimistic for PSU chances in Minneapolis. Can’t wait.
Long restroom lines at intermission even for the guys. Ice cream was great. $7 for a big pretzel? Incredible meeting between the two.

Reactions: d-1980
Win for the fans of both teams..PSU a bit snakebit with 2 studs out with injuries. Iowa may have closed the gap a bit on the dominant force of PSU wrestling,but will it be enough come tourney time?

State of Pennsylvania won and continues to win with all the studs they produce each and every year.

Reactions: danoftw
Kudos to Kem, he did his homework no doubt. He knew that superduck was coming for sure.

Im glad it was him who pulled it out at least.
BTN gives the OW to Cassioppi? PLEASE!!!

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ADVERTISEMENT