ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

I think Brands was beating Assad last year but maybe not this year. I actually think Wilson was beating them both this year which is why he got the nod early on. Will be interesting to see how that one pans out.
The silence on Assad last year seemed odd for sure, and whether one believes he was injured vs. something else going on is probably moot. This year, they had 2 full-sized 184s and needed a decent Plan B at 174. Brands was really the only logical option.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I wrote that's what I think. If Kemerer isn't wrestling this or next week (Krattiger, 9House, Fisher, Shannon) Then his stretch would start with:

Ethan Smith
CStar
McNally
Plott
Labriola

If he's banged up that he's not ready to wrestle some non qualifiers (except 9House) right now, I can't imagine the coaches will want him starting out against the returning champ, 3rd placer, a returning AA at 165 and then a rejuvenated and healthy Plott (plus McNally is R12 guy from last year)
Swafford shirt was burned by Brands at 74. This would mean Kem will go at 84 instead of Assad.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
If Kemerer is coming back then it's 1 of 2 things and that's it.
1. Swaf...is the man at 184. They didn't burn that shirt for no reason.
2. Kem goes up to 184 and Abe sits.

That's it. One or the other.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN and AndEEss
Swafford is 12-6 on the year.

Against NCAA qualifier-ranked type 174lb guys (WS), he’s 0-3. 6-2 loss to Cade Devos, 5-2 to Bailey Riley of Minnesota, and 14-0 to Finesilver.

Nelson is not a full sized 184, he went up there since it was his only way into the lineup. He beat Assad last year (pretty handily) because Assad was banged up clearly. He is wrestling 174 this year because he has no redshirt available and it's his natural weight anyways so he fills in nicely when Kemerer is absent. They didn't pull Assad's redshirt to not wrestle him in the postseason. He is their 184, period. Nelson was going to sit this postseason and they all knew it.

Swafford, as harsh as it sounds, is probably not someone they're worried about redshirting. It's not like Assad who could in theory be on the team until 2025/2026 (he could have redshirted this year and he has an Olympic Redshirt because he has a cadet world medal) Swafford is basically senior age already and while 2x NAIA national champ is quite an accomplishment, it's pretty clear there are levels to wrestling as he's shown this year he absolutely belongs in D1 but he's far from an AA level guy. Is he magically going to jump to contender level with a redshirt this year and being a senior the next? I've never seen that happen before.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Swafford is 12-6 on the year.

Against NCAA qualifier-ranked type 174lb guys (WS), he’s 0-3. 6-2 loss to Cade Devos, 5-2 to Bailey Riley of Minnesota, and 14-0 to Finesilver.
Well Brands pulled the shirt so talk to him I guess...

Nelson is not a full sized 184, he went up there since it was his only way into the lineup. He beat Assad last year (pretty handily) because Assad was banged up clearly. He is wrestling 174 this year because he has no redshirt available and it's his natural weight anyways so he fills in nicely when Kemerer is absent. They didn't pull Assad's redshirt to not wrestle him in the postseason. He is their 184, period. Nelson was going to sit this postseason and they all knew it.

Swafford, as harsh as it sounds, is probably not someone they're worried about redshirting. It's not like Assad who could in theory be on the team until 2025/2026 (he could have redshirted this year and he has an Olympic Redshirt because he has a cadet world medal) Swafford is basically senior age already and while 2x NAIA national champ is quite an accomplishment, it's pretty clear there are levels to wrestling as he's shown this year he absolutely belongs in D1 but he's far from an AA level guy. Is he magically going to jump to contender level with a redshirt this year and being a senior the next? I've never seen that happen before.
So he pulled the shirt for nothing? Ok, I guess...

So he pulled the shirt for nothing? Ok, I guess...
Look at AndEEss' post above yours. His results doesn't scream "make noise in postseason" and he's a senior already. No offense but not everyone is meant to be a D1 National Champ, AA or hell even a NQ. He was probably asked if he wants to get some duals in front of fans and if he rejected it (insisting he keeps his redshirt on) then okay, they probably can find some other fill in. But then what? He's riding the bench again next year and not even getting duals? (Nelson is clearly better than him) Getting some matches in front of fans probably is as good as it gets for him in Iowa.

As @js8793 said it's not likely the kid came to Iowa to just say he's an Iowa wrestler. He was shooting his shot. Probably believed he had another level to him that he could reach in the Iowa room and maybe he's a D1 AA level. I think it's pretty apparent it's not likely right now as he is losing 14-0 to Matt Finesilver, who went 1-2 in both his NCAAs. He's also a senior already. Hey, NAIA is higher than anything I've done athletically and he reached the pinnacle of that twice. You'd be shocked but to some of these kids, wrestling duals in front of fans is worth it to them even without the postseason. Ybarra clearly agreed to that arrangement this year.

Last edited:
Let me just end Kemerer 184 talks now: Who do you think Iowa would rather lose eligibility? Swafford or Assad? Who has shown they’re more likely to make noise at their weight at nationals? Swafford or Assad?

Also Kemerer started as a 149 and while he has filled out, he’s clearly nowhere near 184. He’s banged up to the point he’s still not wrestling and you think Iowa’s coaches strategy is to put him against bigger guys at nationals while pushing out one of their former blue chip recruits while wrestling a kid who hasn’t beaten any NQ level guys this year at 174?

For the record guys, we've done this before. We pulled Snacks' redshirt in 2020 after Cassar got hurt while working on getting Kerkvliet eligible. I think the Nevills family understood there was a chance of a wrestle off (which let's be honest, that Snacks would lose) but Snacks could help with duals and in the case we need him for the postseason, he has matches under his belt. Obviously Kerk wasn't eligible so Seth went (unfortunately got hurt first match) That worked nicely because Seth actually saved two duals for us!

I think Swafford's situation is exactly the same, he'd help with duals (he'd be competitive, I don't see anyone else on the Iowa roster available around that weight as good as him) and in the case Kemerer's situation gets worse, he has matches under his belt for the postseason. I think the kid understands Kemerer is working back to wrestle in March for now. Maybe they'll do a wrestleoff to be fair and if Swafford somehow wins that then they won't wrestle Kem because that just beats he's injured to the point of no return.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Swafford very well might be the only other 174 they have and if Kem is on a major pitch count or is not ready yet then you pull the redshirt because you have no one else. Also, this is not a decision like pulling Kennedy's redshirt. He is 12-6, a NAIA transfer with some bad losses this year. Mineo makes it seem that "pulling the redshirt" for this guy is a major deal and it isn't any where close to that. Also, as mentioned before, if the plan was for Men to go 184, then why would he weigh in at 174 at the collegiate duals. He would have been way bigger if that was the plan.

For the record guys, we've done this before. We pulled Snacks' redshirt in 2020 after Cassar got hurt while working on getting Kerkvliet eligible. I think the Nevills family understood there was a chance of a wrestle off (which let's be honest, that Snacks would lose) but Snacks could help with duals and in the case we need him for the postseason, he has matches under his belt. Obviously Kerk wasn't eligible so Seth went (unfortunately got hurt first match) That worked nicely because Seth actually saved two duals for us!

I think Swafford's situation is exactly the same, he'd help with duals (he'd be competitive, I don't see anyone else on the Iowa roster available around that weight as good as him) and in the case Kemerer's situation gets worse, he has matches under his belt for the postseason. I think the kid understands Kemerer is working back to wrestle in March for now. Maybe they'll do a wrestleoff to be fair and if Swafford somehow wins that then they won't wrestle Kem because that just beats he's injured to the point of no return.
At some point Kemerer has to wrestle. I would believe that point needs to happen sometime in January.

At some point Kemerer has to wrestle. I would believe that point needs to happen sometime in January.
Like I said, the sooner the better because his final stretch is very hard. It's not going to be this weekend. Next weekend he gets DJ Shannon and Troy Fisher. If he doesn't wrestle then .... well then it's Ethan Smith, CStar, McNally, Plott, Labriola.

If Kemerer is coming back then it's 1 of 2 things and that's it.
1. Swaf...is the man at 184. They didn't burn that shirt for no reason.
2. Kem goes up to 184 and Abe sits.

That's it. One or the other.
They did it for duals.

Just like they did with Ybarra.

Reactions: js8793
Also Kemerer started as a 149 and while he has filled out, he’s clearly nowhere near 184. He’s banged up to the point he’s still not wrestling and you think Iowa’s coaches strategy is to put him against bigger guys at nationals while pushing out one of their former blue chip recruits while wrestling a kid who hasn’t beaten any NQ level guys this year at 174?
That line of thought belongs on Message Board Geniuses.

Swafford very well might be the only other 174 they have and if Kem is on a major pitch count or is not ready yet then you pull the redshirt because you have no one else. Also, this is not a decision like pulling Kennedy's redshirt. He is 12-6, a NAIA transfer with some bad losses this year. Mineo makes it seem that "pulling the redshirt" for this guy is a major deal and it isn't any where close to that. Also, as mentioned before, if the plan was for Men to go 184, then why would he weigh in at 174 at the collegiate duals. He would have been way bigger if that was the plan.
Not "very well might be" -- Iowa's 174s are Kemerer, Brands, and Swafford.

Only other option would be running out a 165 --> burning Kennedy's shirt since only he and Marinelli have winning records.

Like I said, the sooner the better because his final stretch is very hard. It's not going to be this weekend. Next weekend he gets DJ Shannon and Troy Fisher. If he doesn't wrestle then .... well then it's Ethan Smith, CStar, McNally, Plott, Labriola.
Even if Kem wrestles this year, whether it is soon or not until later Mike Kemerer will not take the mat against Carter Starocci in the dual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Not "very well might be" -- Iowa's 174s are Kemerer, Brands, and Swafford.

Only other option would be running out a 165 --> burning Kennedy's shirt since only he and Marinelli have winning records.
They should have left Young move up to 174. Cutting to 157 is sucking the wrestling life out of the kid.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Let me just end Kemerer 184 talks now: Who do you think Iowa would rather lose eligibility? Swafford or Assad? Who has shown they’re more likely to make noise at their weight at nationals? Swafford or Assad?

he's also weighed in at 174 multiple times this year already.

They should have left Young move up to 174. Cutting to 157 is sucking the wrestling life out of the kid.
he tried this his freshman year and couldn't maintain size. lost the spot to gunther. he's a natural 165. it would also leave them nobody at 157. that's already a problem for next year. only weight they don't have depth.

They did it for duals.

Just like they did with Ybarra.
and like ybarra, swafford is on the outside looking in to make the lineup down the road. this is his best chance to wrestle in carver and he's taking it. it's what he came to iowa city to do.

there's also no reason swafford couldn't redshirt next year if he wants to extend his eligibility to the full extent. in order to wrestle in the postseason, he was always going to have to beat brands. nothing really changes. he'll still have 2 shots to do that if he wants. if he loses next year, he can shirt and come back for one last shot as a senior. wrestling now is the only guarantee he'll ever have to be in the lineup.

Last edited:
Love the Swafford kid. Great family. I hope Kem gets to compete this year, but I really want to see Swaff get to rock Carver at least once! His brother will be on cloud 9!
he's a lot of fun. psu fans will like him. he mixes it up out there, sometimes to his detriment, but always entertaining. his brother has been a trip on HR. so proud of him and positive. very happy to see him get his moment.

The biggest true wrestling fan I have ever met. A true advocate for the sport at every level and an incredible supporter of kids wrestling. Huge Hawkeye fan, but really just a fan of wrestlers from any school. PSU will enjoy how Swafford wrestles. Wide open and carefree.
Not sure about anyone else but I’ve become a lot more acquainted with him tonight..

The biggest true wrestling fan I have ever met. A true advocate for the sport at every level and an incredible supporter of kids wrestling. Huge Hawkeye fan, but really just a fan of wrestlers from any school. PSU will enjoy how Swafford wrestles. Wide open and carefree.
Thanks for the nice words, man!! I’m actually a lifelong Notre Dame Irish fan… my 2nd cousin married Lou Holtz’s son in the 90’s and despite the fact I’ve never met any of them ever, haha I became a ND lifer… and have only rooted for individuals in wrestling since. My bro Justin wrestled at UNI so most of my family used to be UNI fans… Brennan was the only lifelong Iowa fan.

I wish I was better at promoting youth wrestling, tbh… if it’s one thing I’m probably becoming known for these days, it’s digging in to a ton of wrestling history and writing stories that remember past wrestlers who are likely at an age where they feel totally forgotten. I feel it’s important to get these guys to fall back in love with the sport again and to provide them an outlet to talk about some of the best times of their lives on the mat. Wrestlers put in way too much work over the years to ultimately end up feeling forgotten in time. Tons of history stuff… A lot of current HS stuff, some college… every level. I don’t know if any of you guys have heard of The Pin Doctors, but that’s my site/page… started it 2 years ago and am already up to 16k followers on Facebook! Kinda cool!

I (we) had a rough weekend a couple weeks ago. I totally lost my temper and was wise enough to use social media as my vent-source! 😂 Life has been a little weird since. Tons of support. Some hate mail. It is likely that I will be writing an online petition to the NCAA to modify the redshirt rules to where they are essentially the same as it is for football…especially with Covid. I’m gonna be pushing the hell out of that on The Pin Doctors when I get going on it… I hope I get a ton of people to sign it! One can dream, right?!

I’m not gonna lie, I didn’t have the most favorable opinion of Penn State fans before all this went down, for it seemed like I couldn’t have a respectful conversation with any of you without someone making a reference to the incest, meth-loving buffoonery that you associate us all with and as a person who grew up being grossed out by these types of people (that really are everywhere), I guess I was just butt-hurt. I mean, when my brother transferred to Iowa, there was an article posted on BVM Sports with a pic of Brennan getting his hand raised after his 2nd NAIA title, and I can’t even count the amount of comments I read from you PSU fans implying that y’all thought he had a…”situation in his pants.” Lol, I couldn’t help myself from chiming in and I engaged in some of the most off the wall flame-warring that I’ve ever had! 😂 It was pretty funny, tbh… but yeah, I wasn’t so sure about you guys… but then when 2 weeks ago happened, I was amazed at how respectful and complimentary most of you were while discussing my family and it means a lot…really. People very easily could have kicked this dog when he was down, but hardly anyone did. THANK YOU!

I obviously have my biased opinion of Brennan, but the general consensus of him is that while he might not always be the safest wrestlers, he’s very fun to watch, for he doesn’t take many risks…A gunslinger. Probably not a style anyone has ever seen. He’s able to get away with more than he should because he has this insane hip and leg strength… was a 5X state track placer in sprinting events in HS and actually started out at Graceland (where he transferred from) on a full ride for football. He’s like a mustang or a bronco or whatever. Powerful and fast as hell, but sometimes needs to tame down a bit. We are from Iowa originally, so we were all very excited to watch him do his thing in Carver. Hopefully that day will happen… He was a “medium floor/high-ceiling” D1 recruit…He wasn’t the type of wrestling recruit that would be noticed by Willie Saylor or other guys who do HS rankings at the national level, for my family is very big on training hard and participating in multiple sports opposed to specializing in one. So the recruiting process for Brennan was rough out of HS because no D1 schools had him on their radar since he never participated in many big national off-season tournaments. That’s why he started out NAIA and football even… He initially refused to wrestle anything lower than D1. He began wrestling after football season his Freshman year, went on to Win 2 titles and finally was given a chance by his favorite team. Kinda a unique journey… I have a ton of highlight reels of him I could post here if any of you are interested… I mean, yeah he’s an Iowa guy, but he’s got a style that I think anyone can have fun watching. I am going to be devastated when his career is over, for watching him compete since Kindergarten has been some of the most fun I will ever have in my life. I am so proud of him.

But yeah, I’m the brother who flipped his lid and Mineo shouldn’t be blamed for any of it, for I knew that it was likely that some of my outbursts were gonna be plastered all over the place, it’s just that I was so infuriated at the time that I literally didn’t care at all. And I failed to consider the fact that I put Brennan in an awkward situation with his team in the process.

It was a bad deal. They really didn’t need to have the freaking presser with the narrative of Brennan living a lifelong dream that weekend and what not… How is someone expected to NOT think he would be starting after watching all that.. that’s the one thing that I hope the staff considers when handling these situations in the future. I’m a single father of 3 daughters who I have 90% of the time and I live paycheck to paycheck… I can’t always afford to do these things at this phase of my life. So that’s where I’m at right now… I learned a lesson in this, which is that sometimes I need to STFU and control how impulsive and confrontational I am when I am pissed off. And I hope the staff learned something from this as well…Both sides could have handled it differently and both sides are human and humans make mistakes… I just hope we learn from them so we can at the very least turn a negative into a positive.

I hope the dual this Friday is entertaining for us all and free of any injuries for both squads.

That 12-6 record does look ugly and I can understand someone dismissing him as expendable judging just by that. I’ve been guilty of dismissing other wrestlers myself when simply reading a guy’s record…I get it. However, similar to most cases, the record doesn’t tell the whole story. I’d say Brennan has had 1 bad loss, 1 stupid loss and the other 4 weren’t “bad.” His worst loss of the season was to Matt Finesilver of Duke for 5th and 6th at the Scuffle. I’m not sure what the deal was, but he didn’t wrestle well. He was majored by him. I’ve never seen him majored before. Kept getting caught in a Turk variation. Had to go to the drawing board after that one. His stupid loss was at the UNI Open when he accidentally pinned himself trying to do a suicide cradle when leading. This has gotten him a few times in the past. In fact, he almost pinned himself in the NAIA finals doing that last year. He DID pin himself in the quarterfinals at NAIA Nationals as a Freshman in that same scenario. He went on to tech that kid in the consolations. He had a great chance of winning it that year, so he was potentially a stupid mistake away from being a 3X NAIA National Champ. He also had it happen once in HS. He is live by the sword, die by the sword and sometimes he dies by it… wish he’d stop giving us heart attacks with that. 2 of his losses, he was winning with 30 seconds left in the match and gave up points right at the end to lose by 1. One of those was to Zane Mulder of Wartburg first tourney of the year, but there was a lot more to that one than people realize… To start, Mulder was a starter at ISU before Wartburg. Secondly, Zane and Brennan were rivals since they were second graders and had countless matches, all decided by 1-2 points. I don’t care if one is D3 and one is D1…those guys are going to battle each other. Very competitive with each other…they go way back. The other two losses were to MN’s Bailey O’Reilley and South Dakota State’s Cade Devos at the Scuffle. Both of them 2 point losses that he was in until the end. He was right there with those guys…and he’s still adjusting and improving. The NAIA to D1 transition isn’t going happen for everyone immediately and so far, he hasn’t stopped improving in making those adjustments. The pace, constant pressure, hand fighting and positioning at the D1 level are the main adjustments that an NAIA wrestler has to keep in mind while converting to D1, for those things are at a whole different level than it is in NAIA. You can be successful in the NAIA by wrestling relentless, being loose, brawling and just letting it fly. You can’t so much at the D1 level, for the guys at this level are so good with their positioning as well as attacking the very MILLISECOND they feel their opponent get out of position. He has improved in making these adjustments every time he’s gone out, so the process is definitely in motion.

Heck, this year was the first time he lost a match in two years. Losing itself can take some adjusting to if you haven’t had it happen in a while.

People can think or feel how they want to about the ugly 12-6 record and whether or not it was considered a “big deal” to pull his shirt, but ANYONE from Iowa who is familiar with Brennan knows that it absolutely was a big deal. People in Iowa know his potential. They’ve seen it since he was a little kid. His coaches know it’s there as well.

Honestly, I think a lot of coaches are under a lot of pressure to always have backups at every weight just in case someone acquires Covid or something on road trips. I don’t know what kind of coach in the right mind would want to take a chance of losing duals because they had to forfeit a weight. A coach’s primary priority in life is to provide for their family. They provide for their family through working for their employer. The employer’s primary job expectation of coaches is to win. If a coach fails to produce a winning product, their jobs may be in jeopardy and it will become much more difficult to provide for their families if they lose their job because their team isn’t winning. There are likely many decisions (especially with covid) that coaches make every day that they don’t want to, but have to in order to win and maintain their own job stability. The redshirt issue is one of these tough decisions. That’s why I am determined to get an online petition in the works requesting the NCAA to modify the redshirt rules for wrestling to where it is similar to the redshirt rules for football…I don’t think this is asking too much, especially with the Covid epidemic still lingering and all. I am going to promote the hell out of it through my own platform and I assume a lot of people will sign it… because for real, how often do you talk to someone who doesn’t wish the redshirt rules were modified? Not much because it’s the reasonable and right thing to do and it will not inconvenience anyone.

Obviously I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this sort of thing the last couple weeks 😆

I hope he gets a start and Shane Sparks can commentate..
What would Shane yell?
"This Kid is High Octane"

Reactions: PinDoxRico
ADVERTISEMENT