ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

I think kemerer has to be out. We will see this weekend for certain, but unless kemerer goes 184, kemerers response to Mineo seemed more as a stall tactic. I believe askren said it best on a FRL but if kem was coming back at 174 then Nelson brands would not have been there and instead at 184 where he is the better wrestler. If the rumors are true and swaffords RS has been pulled which again will be confirmed this weekend, it will either signify kemerer is done for good or moves up to 184
you guys keep saying nelson is better that assad as if that’s a fact. he’s down at 174 because he weighs 178 lbs. if he wants to be 184 when kem comes back he can just eat breakfast and be the same size.

if kem has really decided he’s done, why would he reply to mineo? what would be the point?

Reactions: johnyt9
you guys keep saying nelson is better that assad as if that’s a fact. he’s down at 174 because he weighs 178 lbs. if he wants to be 184 when kem comes back he can just eat breakfast and be the same size.

if kem has really decided he’s done, why would he reply to mineo? what would be the point?
Kemerer is not done but I do think there is legitimate reason for concern that he hasn't wrestled since the NCAA finals. The Swafford redshirt pull also strikes me as a he isn't wrestling for a bit or he needs to be pitch counted at least. Also there is the possibility he might need to be ready for the postseason also (so I'm guessing since Nelson didn't refute Mineo's post about his elbow, that must be real)

I fully believe he intends to wrestle this year, especially in light of the recent news, he knows him going down is basically it for Iowa.

js, only going based on history. Maybe it was because Assad was injured last year but brands was the 184 last year. And brands weighing in for 174 and weighing in for 184 are different. Wrestlers going at 184 are cutting and then adding that weight back on prior to wrestling. Having brands wrestle at 174 and then having him wrestle full 184s (if he is the better one out of Assad) then that puts him at a disadvantage. He could certainly add weight but to add that much weight by mid March, it will likely not be healthy…But we can agree to disagree

why would he reply to mineo?
Good question. My questions for you are:

1) Why would anyone reply to a baseless rumor especially in the rumor mongerer's Twitter feed?

That would seem to me to be wholly counterproductive.

2) Why did Hawkeye coverage feel compelled to ask Michael and then ask him whether it was OK to share the text exchange?

That also seems unnecessary to me.

Showing up and wrestling while expecting patience should've sufficed.

js, only going based on history. Maybe it was because Assad was injured last year but brands was the 184 last year. And brands weighing in for 174 and weighing in for 184 are different. Wrestlers going at 184 are cutting and then adding that weight back on prior to wrestling. Having brands wrestle at 174 and then having him wrestle full 184s (if he is the better one out of Assad) then that puts him at a disadvantage. He could certainly add weight but to add that much weight by mid March, it will likely not be healthy…But we can agree to disagree
i think you misunderstood the weight thing with brands. he can’t add weight. he tried for 2 years to grow into 184 but couldn’t stay above 180. remember he came in projected at 157/165. he’s not tall. only reason he’s up as high as he is is because that’s where the open spot was. him getting a workout in before weigh ins to make 174 right now is not going to affect how big he would be at 184 later. if he was wrestling 184 right now, he would still be tiny. you can only get so big while still training and staying in shape. bartlett has had a full year to grow into 149 and look how small he looks.

i do think there’s a chance kemerer can’t go but i don’t think brands being down at 174 right now is a huge indication. he’s an insurance policy because kemerer has a long injury history and making 174 is easy for nelson. they probably also like assad. i think assad looked pretty good in florida. looking forward to seeing more of him.

Reactions: johnyt9 and hlstone
Good question. My questions for you are:

1) Why would anyone reply to a baseless rumor especially in the rumor mongerer's Twitter feed?

That would seem to me to be wholly counterproductive.

2) Why did Hawkeye coverage feel compelled to ask Michael and then ask him whether it was OK to share the text exchange?

That also seems unnecessary to me.

Showing up and wrestling while expecting patience should've sufficed.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

you’re working backwards from the answer you want.

Kemerer is not done but I do think there is legitimate reason for concern that he hasn't wrestled since the NCAA finals. The Swafford redshirt pull also strikes me as a he isn't wrestling for a bit or he needs to be pitch counted at least. Also there is the possibility he might need to be ready for the postseason also (so I'm guessing since Nelson didn't refute Mineo's post about his elbow, that must be real)

I fully believe he intends to wrestle this year, especially in light of the recent news, he knows him going down is basically it for Iowa.
much more reasonable take. i do think the swafford thing could mean something. it could also be that he’s been in the room a while now and knows where he stands. with kennedy, brands, and now arnold coming in, maybe he doesn’t see a way into the lineup and wants to move on earlier than before. he’s already got a couple naia titles. i don’t think he came to iowa to ride the bench. he’s already accomplished a lot.

Reactions: McScoreley
much more reasonable take. i do think the swafford thing could mean something. it could also be that he’s been in the room a while now and knows where he stands. with kennedy, brands, and now arnold coming in, maybe he doesn’t see a way into the lineup and wants to move on earlier than before. he’s already got a couple naia titles. i don’t think he came to iowa to ride the bench. he’s already accomplished a lot.
I hope I'm wrong but there obviously is some smoke that he is very banged up.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Kemerer was very injured in 2018 (knee was wrapped and then he got pinned by Micah Jordan at Big Tens) and he still placed 4th in a very difficult 157 class (he drew Nolf in the quarters then his shoulder just gave out against Berger in the 3/4 match) The kid is as tough as can be. I think even a shell of his best self is by far the best option for Iowa at 174 so you just want to get him as close to 100% as possible, even if he can only get 60% of the way there.

He's done with wrestling I'm pretty sure after this year. Doesn't sound like he wants to pursue freestyle (though I could be wrong but the fact he thought hard twice about coming back twice now strikes me wrestling isn't in his long term goals) He's going to go down swinging IMO.

Reactions: Mcnulty7310
If Kemerer is banged up, do they wrestle him against Starocci in the dual? Would he wrestle Massa, or Labriola?

If he makes it to the B1G semi-finals or final, MFOR and take the automatic spot?

Would the seeding committee penalize him and make him a 3, 4 or 5 seed, despite being undefeated?

If Kemerer is banged up, do they wrestle him against Starocci in the dual? Would he wrestle Massa, or Labriola?

If he makes it to the B1G semi-finals or final, MFOR and take the automatic spot?

Would the seeding committee penalize him and make him a 3, 4 or 5 seed, despite being undefeated?
History says yes and maybe lower than that. 2018 Kemerer was 20-0 going into B10s, lost in the semis to Micah Jordan, MFFed out, and got the 6 seed at nationals (same year Jason got the 3 seed after MFFing out of B10s).

That was a much less compelling bracket in terms of seeding -- only 1 returning champ (Jason) who was injured. The 1 seed (Hidlay) was a first-year starter. Levallee got the 2 seed and promptly lost his opening match. Shields got the 4 seed and lost in Round 2. Pantaleo got the 5 seed with 5 losses. Then came Kemerer with 1 loss.

Reactions: danoftw
History says yes and maybe lower than that. 2018 Kemerer was 20-0 going into B10s, lost in the semis to Micah Jordan, MFFed out, and got the 6 seed at nationals (same year Jason got the 3 seed after MFFing out of B10s).

That was a much less compelling bracket in terms of seeding -- only 1 returning champ (Jason) who was injured. The 1 seed (Hidlay) was a first-year starter. Levallee got the 2 seed and promptly lost his opening match. Shields got the 4 seed and lost in Round 2. Pantaleo got the 5 seed with 5 losses. Then came Kemerer with 1 loss.
Ohio State got some beautiful draws that tournament.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Let me throw another possibility out for discussion. While PSU/Cael is pondering whether to pull the shirt for Fucundo to try to maximize points. I think Kemerer being done makes that a non decision. So, might Iowa wait for decision on burning shirt for Fucundo then announce that he is done.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
Let me throw another possibility out for discussion. While PSU/Cael is pondering whether to pull the shirt for Fucundo to try to maximize points. I think Kemerer being done makes that a non decision. So, might Iowa wait for decision on burning shirt for Fucundo then announce that he is done.
How many more points do YOU think Facundo will score over Edsell?

Facundo's shirt is staying right where it's at.

FYI it's Facundo. That would make some strategic sense to me, even if I'd consider that kind of stuff bush league and bad form for a reputable coach.

Yeah. For me, that duo was the best thing going so I hate to see this happening. Hope the two realize there will be a lot of wrestling fans out there feeling as if they’re being put in the middle of this “divorce”. Just as parents shouldn’t be using their children to get back at or hurt their ex, these two shouldn’t use fans of the sport and their show to do that to each other. We’re probably like children… we don’t want to hear the bad things about them and what they did to each other. We just want to “love” ‘‘em both and we certainly don’t want to have to pick sides.
I enjoy your posts. This is bat shit crazy tho

i think you misunderstood the weight thing with brands. he can’t add weight. he tried for 2 years to grow into 184 but couldn’t stay above 180. remember he came in projected at 157/165. he’s not tall. only reason he’s up as high as he is is because that’s where the open spot was. him getting a workout in before weigh ins to make 174 right now is not going to affect how big he would be at 184 later. if he was wrestling 184 right now, he would still be tiny. you can only get so big while still training and staying in shape. bartlett has had a full year to grow into 149 and look how small he looks.

i do think there’s a chance kemerer can’t go but i don’t think brands being down at 174 right now is a huge indication. he’s an insurance policy because kemerer has a long injury history and making 174 is easy for nelson. they probably also like assad. i think assad looked pretty good in florida. looking forward to seeing more of him.
I'll give Brand's my diet. He will be challenging Cass in no time at all.

I hope I'm wrong but there obviously is some smoke that he is very banged up.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Kemerer was very injured in 2018 (knee was wrapped and then he got pinned by Micah Jordan at Big Tens) and he still placed 4th in a very difficult 157 class (he drew Nolf in the quarters then his shoulder just gave out against Berger in the 3/4 match) The kid is as tough as can be. I think even a shell of his best self is by far the best option for Iowa at 174 so you just want to get him as close to 100% as possible, even if he can only get 60% of the way there.

He's done with wrestling I'm pretty sure after this year. Doesn't sound like he wants to pursue freestyle (though I could be wrong but the fact he thought hard twice about coming back twice now strikes me wrestling isn't in his long term goals) He's going to go down swinging IMO.
Agreed. But if he's a no go this Friday night.........

Neither FUCundo nor FACundo is scoring more than Edsell. Edsell is the superior wrestler.
I definitely don’t agree with this but they are close and there is no point in pulling his shirt. I was onboard for pulling it before the scuffle but now especially with Spencer out the smart thing is to keep him in redshirt and unleash him and SVN next season.

Good read on then, and keep scrolling

And if I'm an Iowa coach do I want kemerer out there if he's not a hundred percent. I want his last showing to be his best

And if I'm an Iowa coach do I want kemerer out there if he's not a hundred percent. I want his last showing to be his best
It's about team points and Kemerer if he's somewhat functional I imagine gives them the best option. Granted I think Spencer with no ACLs is better than Drake Ayala (he literally beat Brandon Courtney 7-0 when Courtney just ran) but Spencer has his 4th to think about (not fair to ask the kid to try to do it without ACLs) and future international aspirations. Kemerer I think is just done done and wants to go down swinging.

So funny thing, I'm pretty sure Facundo has only given up one takedown this year? That's basically what I think most expected from him. He's good defensively. He lost to Best because he didn't know the new OT rules (but also not a given he can ride him out either) and because he kept going for a reversal against Bullard.

I didn't watch his match vs Caleb Fish but I know he gave one up in the second there. Wasn't sure if it was sloppy shot, a slip up or a timely counter?

ADVERTISEMENT