ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

From the Mat.com board: "Chatter out there that is that Spencer Lee is done for season. I hope not."

Spencer got Brands his NC in Cael era

Team Spencer might think he cant win the NC this year on blown tires.

Brands owes Team Spencer a year off and go next year 100% and become the programs first 4x.

Damn. I wanted to beat them at full strength. Injuries suck. Hope we avoid them this season. Knock on wood. Feel sorry for the kid.

Explains the 125 lineup before Florida.

Brands believes the old age home can still win a NC against the young punk lions. What drama for Detroit Rock City!

The guy is so good that even at 83% nobody’s willing to say he can’t easily beat the field. Hope he gets back to where he wants in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Mineo now saying surgery Friday, medical shirt, back next year.
For those saying to burn Facundo’s shirt even if it means it gets us just one additional point at nationals… because we need it this year and not next year…

Reactions: Zukovski
If true..sucks for Iowa fans. Thankfully our guys have been relatively healthy.

Who knows if Spencer comes back or not next year. He may finally just focus on free.

Either way..SPENCER LEE is the best Hawk wrestler ever IMO, whether he ever steps back on a mat or not. Fun to watch, makes tilts look effortless..a true champion

where are you seeing this? i think people were guessing it was kem until mineo dropped spencer’s name.
I'm guessing it's just because Swafford wrestled attached at the Scuffle and Kemerer hasn't wrestled yet this year.

where are you seeing this? i think people were guessing it was kem until mineo dropped spencer’s name.
There’s a thread on HR that asks the question because they burned someone’s RS at 74. Id consider it very questionable speculation at best.

I'm guessing it's just because Swafford wrestled attached at the Scuffle and Kemerer hasn't wrestled yet this year.
Pulling Swafford's shirt is a little puzzling, but I don't think it indicates that Kem would be done, especially considering Nelson Brands is Kem's backup anyway and would likely get the nod in that situation

I can’t help but think if Suriano doesn’t come back, excuses would still be for wussies, and Spencer would be wrestling.
Doubt it. But I could kinda see Suriano not wrestling if Lee doesn’t…

At this point I think Spencer's Olympic aspirations should trump all other considerations. He's done great things for Iowa and I wonder if coming back next year is too much of a risk to the Olympic dream. He certainly doesn't owe Iowa anything at this point.

if i’m not mistaken, he also has a redshirt available…i would respect the hell out of him if he said he’s willing to wait a year for that match.
Suriano does actually! But I think even if his vision quest is done, Michigan might smell blood in the water to really win the title now.

Suriano's history
2017 - Got injured and weighed in at conferences then defaulted first match, forfeited out. Counts.
2018 - Wrestled (2nd)
2019 - Wrestled (1st)
2020 - Olympic Redshirt
2021 - Doesn't Count for anyone
2022 - Can redshirt if he chooses

At this point I think Spencer's Olympic aspirations should trump all other considerations. He's done great things for Iowa and I wonder if coming back next year is too much of a risk to the Olympic dream. He certainly doesn't owe Iowa anything at this point.
100% agree. Sadly, I think we might have already seen the best of Spencer. I hope he has a great freestyle career but I fear the injuries may have finally caught up with him. He has at least 3 ACL tears that we know of plus a shoulder tear. At some point his body is going to cry no mas.

As for Kem, another kick in the nuts (if true). By all accounts, he’s a wonderful guy and one hell of a wrestler. He spent much of his career playing second fiddle to Nolf, Hall and Starocci. He hesitated coming back this year so I doubt we’ll see him in 2022. Best wishes Michael.

Last edited:
100% agree. Sadly, I think we might have already seen the best of Spencer. I hope he has a great freestyle career but I fear the injuries may have finally caught up with him. He has at least 3 ACL tears that we know of plus and a shoulder tear. At some point his body is going to cry no mas.

As for Kem, another kick in the nuts. By all accounts he’s a wonderful guy and one hell of a wrestler. He spent much of his career playing second fiddle to guys like Nolf, Hall and Starocci. He hesitated coming back this year so I doubt we’ll see him in 2022. Best wishes Michael.
i don’t think the kem thing is legit. willie just posted that he’s heard nothing about that.

ADVERTISEMENT