ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

Lol I actually did end up writing that petition as I mentioned above…

Good luck with it and good luck for Brennan (as long as he isn’t wrestling someone in blue and white). I see the reasoning behind your petition, but with 9.9 scholarships (compared to 85), I don’t see the NCAA budging on this one. But I am wrong all the time, so who knows!?

Reactions: PinDoxRico
Can we trade out Turk for this guy? Great reads from you this morning. Thank you.

We are governed by Democratic-Authoritarian principles here. Applied with both a mob and singular form of justice. We can hold a vote and Turk can leave in shame as a result of the vote or we can just have Hotshoe hit the Jabba Door on him.

We are governed by Democratic-Authoritarian principles here. Applied with both a mob and singular form of justice. We can hold a vote and Turk can leave in shame as a result of the vote or we can just have Hotshoe hit the Jabba Door on him.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I used to Think Shane was too much and it turned me off, but lately I have caught the bug to listen to him talk and rave about guys. He brings an excitement usually reserved for much younger people. I have even found Pyles somewhat entertaining lately. I have bagged on Flo but FRL is interesting to me again.
I didnt know Shane was on but was just looking for content on the big match. Shane brings something else to the show and I like it. Ben and Vais alone is nails on calkboard.

But, does this guy service his country like Turk?
We can keep this guy, buy maybe keep both.
I get tattletales are tough to take or forgive, but do you really want to take Dunkej01's #eatitturk entertainment away from him?
You make a compelling argument. I’ll go ahead and drop my request…

for now.

Maybe they can let him read the posts but not post himself..

Thinking out loud for a second regarding the petition posted above...

The number doesn't have to be "4" for wrestling. It can be another number. Comparing a headcount sport (football, with 85 full-ride scholarships) to a equivalency sport (wrestling, with 9.9 scholarships divvied up among many wrestlers) is apples-to-oranges imo. Plus, doing anything at all will probably include discussion about what to do in the other 38 or so NCAA sports. Wrestling isn't second in line for this waiver to my knowledge, so a much larger discussion is needed.

For the record, I'm for some sort of rule that will protect a wrestler's redshirt, allowing them to wrestle a certain number of "attached" bouts.

Who else thought Pile and Askren were peeved at Shane on Wednesday’s FRL? Seemed to be a little tension during the back half as Shane’s enthusiasm bogged the show down
I love to see it. I rarely listen to FRL anymore, but have started again when Shane’s on. Shane just effortlessly implodes most of the things about the show that drive me nuts, and you can see how it bothers the usual crew. Love Shane Sparks.

Good luck with it and good luck for Brennan (as long as he isn’t wrestling someone in blue and white). I see the reasoning behind your petition, but with 9.9 scholarships (compared to 85), I don’t see the NCAA budging on this one. But I am wrong all the time, so who knows!?
Hey I agree, but 10 years down the road I don’t want to be in a spot where I regret not at least trying…

And thanks for the cool words about my bro! I appreciate it!

Lol I actually did end up writing that petition as I mentioned above…

I would be OK if this or something like it happened... having said that, I also feel like wrestling has been sort of ahead of the curve on this by being able to wrestle unattached. I feel like the "four game" rule was done for the benefit of the athlete- so they could experience limited competition and not lose an entire year of eligibility. Wrestlers are already participating in tournaments and routinely wrestle 10-20 matches a year without losing eligibility. Adding a "four game" rule for wrestling would mostly be additional benefit to the team, not as much for the wrestler.

I would be OK if this or something like it happened... having said that, I also feel like wrestling has been sort of ahead of the curve on this by being able to wrestle unattached. I feel like the "four game" rule was done for the benefit of the athlete- so they could experience limited competition and not lose an entire year of eligibility. Wrestlers are already participating in tournaments and routinely wrestle 10-20 matches a year without losing eligibility. Adding a "four game" rule for wrestling would mostly be additional benefit to the team, not as much for the wrestler.
Except the student-athlete has to pay all the expenses to go to these tournaments unattached. This would allow the school to send guys to bigger tournaments further away and the school can pay for it. Right now most only go to events close by to save on expenses.

I'd agree with this. I think the right move to thread the needle is to have an unattached status that does not prevent institutional support in terms of coaching, financing, and counting as an "official date". That would provide the opportunity for redshirting wrestlers to compete for the school in a "non countable" capacity. Add this to the "extra matches" as well as open tournaments and...

b283a5f3-413b-497a-8f61-a8a15ae165da_text.gif

Reactions: jmadden1998
I tell this story of Shane Sparks...

At a home dual, maybe 10 years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting him. He proceeded to ask me to find and introduce him to a certain wrestler for an interview. His tone was calm, very calm. I did find the wrestler, and after a short introduction the "other" excitable Shane Sparks emerged. First impression, he's a down-to-earth decent guy.

Except the student-athlete has to pay all the expenses to go to these tournaments unattached. This would allow the school to send guys to bigger tournaments further away and the school can pay for it. Right now most only go to events close by to save on expenses.
Although a lot of these kids may not be big names, NIL does give them an avenue for some type of support. How many might try that route and be successful, I'm not sure. Certainly the prominence of the school's program and local support would be a big factor.

I don't like it at all. If you have a really great recruit you can use them in four duals to determine the outcome of the dual and the rankings but then they can go back to a redshirt. Won't really reflect the actual team that is going to post season. I like the way it is like mentioned above red shirts can get plenty of matches in and get the experience they need. I mean what really is the point of a red shirt. It's an option giving them four matches a year kind of reduces that option or decision that coaches and athletes are forced to make.

At a home dual, maybe 10 years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting him. He proceeded to ask me to find and introduce him to a certain wrestler for an interview. His tone was calm, very calm. I did find the wrestler, and after a short introduction the "other" excitable Shane Sparks emerged. First impression, he's a down-to-earth decent guy.

I didn't like him at first but cocaine Shane has definitely grown on me. Roar, thanks for sharing your impression.

Reactions: creamery freak
I think giving the four varsity matches or whatever they allow increases the chance of a team having someone available at every weight class in a dual. This helps fans as well as wrestlers.
Or it slows kids down on their path to graduation and tied up scholarship $$ more for five years per student rather than four, decreasing the opportunity for other kids to earn partial money. I don’t know the answer, or the statistics on the percentage of wrestlers who redshirt already. In a sport with such limited scholarships, it is something with ramifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Or it slows kids down on their path to graduation and tied up scholarship $$ more for five years per student rather than four, decreasing the opportunity for other kids to earn partial money. I don’t know the answer, or the statistics on the percentage of wrestlers who redshirt already. In a sport with such limited scholarships, it is something with ramifications.
This would hold true if the majority of guys were only on a roster for 4 years in our current system, but that isn't the case. There are a couple on every team, but the vast majority of college wrestlers take a redshirt at some point. There could also be situations where a guy performs so well under the lights when he gets to give it a try that the decision is made to toss the shirt and go for it. This could take a guy who was on the path to use 5 years suddenly switch to a 4 year situation. All speculation on my part.

If I had 5% of that guy's energy I would be a dynamo.

Michigan is quietly sitting the tall grass watching. People will start talking about them more once Suriano joins this week.
Congrats Michigan! Great team effort all weekend. Few picked them to win the trophy today. Cheers!

After talking with a couple VERY angry wrestling parents at the Big Ten Championships re. Mineo, I wonder if this tweet was sanctioned in any way. Surely not.
Jaydin himself “liked” several tweets with that diagnosis offered on Sunday. Doesn’t mean it was officially sanctioned, but not Mineo’s worst “work,” either.

So one of the few Hawks that moved laterally, can no longer move laterally?

ADVERTISEMENT