ADVERTISEMENT

HOFSTRA

I would love to see Penn State schedule matches with all of the PA schools with D1 programs every year in the early season (i.e. Clarion, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Penn, etc.), but only commit a handful of starters (maybe as low 2 or 3) for each match. That would be a way to keep a light schedule for the key guys on the team but also let the other PA schools get a shot at Penn State and a way for us to get a look at the other guys who aren't going to be out there when the B1G schedule starts (including both the room guys and the RS freshman who can use some of their 5 dates in these matches). That seems like a great compromise for everyone, just as an idea.
Sending the B Team is awfully insulting to those teams and to their fans.

Sounds like a great way to never face them again.

Reactions: dicemen99
Sending the B Team is awfully insulting to those teams and to their fans.

Sounds like a great way to never face them again.
I think you are over thinking this. Cael has already done this to a lesser extent in the past against outclassed, weaker programs before.

The prospect of facing PSU will pack the house anywhere we go. The prospect of coming in and 'bullying' 40-0 vs everyone, year after year, is a different kind of slap in the face for these small programs. Fans want to see good wrestling, and if they get a chance to watch a few 2-3-4xers that's something they will remember forever. I think it is a great, local, low cost, high value idea.

I think you are over thinking this. Cael has already done this to a lesser extent in the past against outclassed, weaker programs before.

The prospect of facing PSU will pack the house anywhere we go. The prospect of coming in and 'bullying' 40-0 vs everyone, year after year, is a different kind of slap in the face for these small programs. Fans want to see good wrestling, and if they get a chance to watch a few 2-3-4xers that's something they will remember forever. I think it is a great, local, low cost, high value idea.
Name the duals opponent where we sent under 7 starters even with scheduling conflicts like Bill Farrell.

Reactions: rmg78 and dicemen99
I prefer watching folkstyle, but your point is on target. The real pinnacle of the sport is the Olympics, not the NCAAs, and Cael is attracting exactly those people who aspire to that level, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he's catering the team's schedule to their long term goals.

I would love to see Penn State schedule matches with all of the PA schools with D1 programs every year in the early season (i.e. Clarion, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Penn, etc.), but only commit a handful of starters (maybe as low 2 or 3) for each match. That would be a way to keep a light schedule for the key guys on the team but also let the other PA schools get a shot at Penn State and a way for us to get a look at the other guys who aren't going to be out there when the B1G schedule starts (including both the room guys and the RS freshman who can use some of their 5 dates in these matches). That seems like a great compromise for everyone, just as an idea.
It's still in our best interest to get all of our starters to 15 matches by BIGs, this would hurt that. Getting our backups mat time is what opens are for.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I prefer watching folkstyle, but your point is on target. The real pinnacle of the sport is the Olympics, not the NCAAs, and Cael is attracting exactly those people who aspire to that level, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he's catering the team's schedule to their long term goals.

But there are limits for competition dates. I don't know all the details, but I think 16 is the limit. Looking at the schedule, there are 16 events listed if you count B1Gs and NCAAs, but not the NWCA Classic.

So assuming we wouldn't see more duals or competitions, that would just mean instead of Hofstra and Oregon St (our only two non-B1G, non-PA duals), we'd see a PA school. Doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility or just generally wrestling outside of the existing PA/B1G footprint (which we already do a lot).

I don't fully get your point, 7 is admirable and 6 is an insult?

Now if you are saying for some of these small programs, sending all backups? I agree that's just plain bait and switch, and no good for the fans. 5 starters minimum seems reasonable.

Cael has many times given starters rest or as a result of injuries sent less than a full compliment, and in so doing let the smaller programs have a real battle at several weights, this would continue with the PA teams

Less than 9 starters:
2024 - Lehigh 7
2023 - (not counting Steen :)) Rider 8, Lehigh 8, Or St 8, Mich St 8, Indiana 7
2022 - (ignoring Shunk 1st half, and 157 & 165 bounced back and forth between 1 'starter' and several backups all year) Sacred heart 8, Or St 8, Army 7, Penn 6, Lehigh 6, UNI 7, Cornel 8, Az St 7, Maryland 8, Indiana 6, Rutgers 8, Mich St 8

But there are limits for competition dates. I don't know all the details, but I think 16 is the limit. Looking at the schedule, there are 16 events listed if you count B1Gs and NCAAs, but not the NWCA Classic.

So assuming we wouldn't see more duals or competitions, that would just mean instead of Hofstra and Oregon St (our only two non-B1G, non-PA duals), we'd see a PA school. Doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility or just generally wrestling outside of the existing PA/B1G footprint (which we already do a lot).
Pretty sure Competition Dates do not include B10s or NCAAs -- only regular season attached events.

Spot on about fewer or no non-conference out of state opponents. Another important drawback: if Cael can't schedule such opponents on the road, that's a major hindrance for recruiting. We probably don't get as many if they know they'll never wrestle in their home state in front of family and friends -- especially when our top competitors make that happen.

Last edited:
I don't fully get your point, 7 is admirable and 6 is an insult?

Now if you are saying for some of these small programs, sending all backups? I agree that's just plain bait and switch, and no good for the fans. 5 starters minimum seems reasonable.

Cael has many times given starters rest or as a result of injuries sent less than a full compliment, and in so doing let the smaller programs have a real battle at several weights, this would continue with the PA teams

Less than 9 starters:
2024 - Lehigh 7
2023 - (not counting Steen :)) Rider 8, Lehigh 8, Or St 8, Mich St 8, Indiana 7
2022 - (ignoring Shunk 1st half, and 157 & 165 bounced back and forth between 1 'starter' and several backups all year) Sacred heart 8, Or St 8, Army 7, Penn 6, Lehigh 6, UNI 7, Cornel 8, Az St 7, Maryland 8, Indiana 6, Rutgers 8, Mich St 8
The point was sending only 2 or 3 starters. I drew a line at 7 only because it was likely and I'm too lazy to research.

Also, the point was **deliberately** sending only 2 or 3 starters. That's a statement that the opponent is unworthy of facing our starters.

When you have the best room in the country, no need to seek out competition. Coaches can have them compete in the room and can control the situations reducing injury risk.

They can also have PSU room tournament requiring multi day weigh ins too.
Unfortunately "competing in the room" doesn't help with RPI

May be Cael's being diabolical and is planning for our unseeded guys to send some monsters to the backside to create havoc?

My guess..it’s your first assumption. It’s been reported over the years, the PSU coaches study weekly and daily charts from year to year (practice schedules, competition schedules) and fine tune what worked, what didn’t work, etc. I think their main focus is peaking in March and can’t argue those results.

As a fan..I’d like to see more but how can you argue with 10 of 12?

Only detriment to the low match count is if you don’t get RPI it will hurt your seeding. Last year, AB was 3 seed because of this (not that it mattered what seed he was) but for most guys, the difference in seed could be huge
Honestly think about the grind is in that room. I think it's as much as that as anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT