- Penn State’s Roman Bravo-Young, 133#
- Penn State’s Nick Lee, 141#
- Cornell’s Yianni Diakomihalis, 149#
- Northwestern’s Ryan Deakin, 157#
- Missouri’s Keegan O’Toole, 165#
- Penn State’s Carter Starocci, 174#
- Minnesota’s Gable Steveson, HWT

8 finalists” for an award?

I think they need to look up the definition of “finalist”.

Reactions: razpsu
Steveson will win because he dominated but had no real competition, but of Penn State's three entrants, RBY did things this year I've not seen anyone else do--he transcended the sport, stylistically speaking--and beat two great wrestlers (DeSanto and world silver medalist Fix) despite having to repeatedly wrestle them in close matches. Neither Brands nor Smith can game-plan past RBY despite no shortage of familiarity. To me that's more impressive--repeatedly passing the toughest tests--than what Steveson or anyone else did this year.

Who does the criteria point to? Is there a clear winner?

Gable was 83-2 in D1 bouts. He had about a 65% bonus rate. Fewer pins than others, but more majors and techs than most (all are good for "dominance"). 3rd, 1st, 1st in NCAA Championships. Quality of competition may not be as good as a few others, but then again he makes it look so easy. The last two criteria are intangible.

Suriano actually has comparable stats.

Steveson will win because he dominated but had no real competition, but of Penn State's three entrants, RBY did things this year I've not seen anyone else do--he transcended the sport, stylistically speaking--and beat two great wrestlers (DeSanto and world silver medalist Fix) despite having to repeatedly wrestle them in close matches. Neither Brands nor Smith can game-plan past RBY despite no shortage of familiarity. To me that's more impressive--repeatedly passing the toughest tests--than what Steveson or anyone else did this year.
Out strategizing Brands seems for the CCC&J boys to be something accomplished frequently. Smith seems more capable, but also appears to have no answer for Fix. Of course I think that is because RBY is just better than Fix.

Steveson will win the award, but the quality of 174 makes me want to say give it to Carter before he just takes it from somebody.

Out strategizing Brands seems for the CCC&J boys to be something accomplished frequently. Smith seems more capable, but also appears to have no answer for Fix. Of course I think that is because RBY is just better than Fix.

Steveson will win the award, but the quality of 174 makes me want to say give it to Carter before he just takes it from somebody.
I'm afraid this year's Hodge won't be found. Logan came for that too.

All kidding aside, Nick L being a Senior with 1 loss in 2 years is deserving. I could vote for RBY and Carter too. RBY completed 2 undefeated seasons, which makes him worthy.

My head is telling me it's Gables to lose. It would be nice if Nick Lee won the Hammer award.

Reactions: danoftw
Trust me. It would be great to have another one in happy valley but gable wins easily

Who does the criteria point to? Is there a clear winner?

Gable was 83-2 in D1 bouts. He had about a 65% bonus rate. Fewer pins than others, but more majors and techs than most (all are good for "dominance"). 3rd, 1st, 1st in NCAA Championships. Quality of competition may not be as good as a few others, but then again he makes it look so easy. The last two criteria are intangible.

Suriano actually has comparable stats.
Ew. No. To your last line. Character does not include openly blaming others.

Steveson beat 4 world champs and a world silver this college season and had no real competition -- is there any better reason to give him the Hodge?

As if any reason is needed, he's getting it anyway.

Steveson stated on Mar 6th that he was going to make the "NCAA Championships the greatest show you will ever watch". His last 3 matches were snooze fests on his part. For that reason and my completely biased opinion he doesn't get the Hodge.

LATEST HODGE VOTING: Last updated 10:30am today.... the last day of voting:
1. Gable: 8250
2. O'Toole: 4200
3. Nick Lee 3000
4. Yianni: 2800
5. RBY: 2250
6. C-Star: 2000
7. Suriano: 1500
8. Deakin: 800

The fat lady is singing :)

LATEST HODGE VOTING: Last updated 10:30am today.... the last day of voting:
1. Gable: 8250
2. O'Toole: 4200
3. Nick Lee 3000
4. Yianni: 2800
5. RBY: 2250
6. C-Star: 2000
8. Deakin: 800

The fat lady is singing :)

Interesting how the leaderboard correlates to bonus rate:

Hodge vote leaders
1. Gable, 2. O'Toole, 3. Nick Lee

Bonus rate leaders
1. Gable, 2. Nicky Portal, 3. O'Toole

Seems like there's a stiff penalty in the fan voting for showing up at nationals with corn rows. Or for wrestling for a team with no real fan base.

FINAL HODGE Fan VOTING:
1. Gable: 8700
2. O'Toole: 4300
3. Nick Lee 3200
4. Yianni: 2900
5. RBY: 2350
6. C-Star: 2200
8. Deakin: 950

Even
FINAL HODGE Fan VOTING:
1. Gable: 8700
2. O'Toole: 4300
3. Nick Lee 3200
4. Yianni: 2900
5. RBY: 2350
6. C-Star: 2200
8. Deakin: 950
Even if Nick got Carter and RBY'S votes he's at 7,750 votes, 950 behind GS in fan voting. I voted for Nick Lee because he was a senior and well deserving.

Reactions: therod and hlstone
NCAAs, the Hodge...or the Olympics?
Everything, at the same time.

As an aside, it’s amusing that Iowa fans are so bent out of shape that Gilman trolls them now whenever he can. I mean, the guy goes to the NLWC and it’s been a constant litany of posts that Spencer was killing him “in the room”, he’s got no chance once Lee gets healthy. Etc. Is he supposed to just sit there and take it?

As an aside, it’s amusing that Iowa fans are so bent out of shape that Gilman trolls them now whenever he can. I mean, the guy goes to the NLWC and it’s been a constant litany of posts that Spencer was killing him “in the room”, he’s got no chance once Lee gets healthy. Etc. Is he supposed to just sit there and take it?

Trolling Iowa is a sport.

It's especially funny coming from the "YOU ONLY DESERVE WHAT YOU EARN" and "EXCUSES ARE FOR WUSSIES" crowd.

I think Spencer is a phenomenal wrestler. I can't wait for the days he is healthy and is able to actually be challenged on the mat (which I haven't really seen for a few years). But the fact remains that he's wrestled one senior level domestic tournament since he arrived in Iowa City.

Maybe I'm not giving Spencer enough credit. Maybe he'll turn around the now years-long trend of not being able to stay healthy and run roughshod over the domestic and international scene for the next few years. But my experience watching guys like Zain and Nolf go from being transcendent collegiate wrestlers to being good/great but not necessarily Olympic gold quality freestyle wrestlers immediately after leaving college has me in a "I hope, but need to see it first" mode with Spencer.

I do believe they manipulated the results a bit and kind of just gave Gable the Hodge last year with Spencer and I'm glad they did. At some point, common sense has to kick in, Gable's competition was far superior and it's way tougher to pin and tech heavyweights than 125s.

Reactions: creamery freak
I do believe they manipulated the results a bit and kind of just gave Gable the Hodge last year with Spencer and I'm glad they did. At some point, common sense has to kick in, Gable's competition was far superior and it's way tougher to pin and tech heavyweights than 125s.
I think it was the other way around. Gable won but they rejiggered the votes

It's especially funny coming from the "YOU ONLY DESERVE WHAT YOU EARN" and "EXCUSES ARE FOR WUSSIES" crowd.

I think Spencer is a phenomenal wrestler. I can't wait for the days he is healthy and is able to actually be challenged on the mat (which I haven't really seen for a few years). But the fact remains that he's wrestled one senior level domestic tournament since he arrived in Iowa City.

Maybe I'm not giving Spencer enough credit. Maybe he'll turn around the now years-long trend of not being able to stay healthy and run roughshod over the domestic and international scene for the next few years. But my experience watching guys like Zain and Nolf go from being transcendent collegiate wrestlers to being good/great but not necessarily Olympic gold quality freestyle wrestlers immediately after leaving college has me in a "I hope, but need to see it first" mode with Spencer.
Though Spencer views folkstyle as "garbage", I've always thought his top game made him more suited for it than freestyle. Reminds me of Zain in that respect.

Reactions: bwfight
Though Spencer views folkstyle as "garbage", I've always thought his top game made him more suited for it than freestyle. Reminds me of Zain in that respect.
He's had minimal senior-level work, but Spencer turns guys a ton in Freestyle too.

Only Zain didnt carry it over, his was more of a methodical top game which FS doesnt really tolerate.
Spencer’s is quick and too the point. Big difference.

Reactions: hlstone
Only Zain didnt carry it over, his was more of a methodical top game which FS doesnt really tolerate.
Spencer’s is quick and too the point. Big difference.
Could be, but I'm unconvinced Spencer's top game will work against top-level international competition or, for that matter, Gillman and Suriano (and Fix, assuming Olympic weight classes).

Could be, but I'm unconvinced Spencer's top game will work against top-level international competition or, for that matter, Gillman and Suriano (and Fix, assuming Olympic weight classes).
Spencer's "top game" in freestyle is primarily converting shots directly into ankle laces.

He'll still get those at the senior level, just not as frequently as at the cadet level.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT