ADVERTISEMENT

Hockey Season ticket renewals are out.

UncleLar

May 29, 2001
Same price as last year. Or maybe not?

Hockey season ticket renewal notices just went out this morning (2 1/2 months later than last year).

According to the GoPSU website “Season ticket prices will remain consistent from last season.” What is conspicuously absent from the press release is that, while the price may be the same, we are playing three less home games (there’s zero mention of how many games were on the schedule last year).

Last year, when the season ticket prices went UP, that was framed as “All season-ticket price increases correspond with the team playing 20 games in 2016-17 as compared to the 18 played during the first three seasons at Pegula Ice Arena.” I have no problem with that. An increase should have been expected.

This year we play 17 home games, but there's no equivalent ticket price reduction.

Very typical. I don’t know who they think they are fooling.

Note: I don't have an issue with the price increase. Clearly, demand would suggest that the tickets are under priced. It's the BS subterfuge they are going through to hide the actual price increase that bothers me.

Same price as last year. Or maybe not?

Hockey season ticket renewal notices just went out this morning (2 1/2 months later than last year).

According to the GoPSU website “Season ticket prices will remain consistent from last season.” What is conspicuously absent from the press release is that, while the price may be the same, we are playing three less home games (there’s zero mention of how many games were on the schedule last year).

Last year, when the season ticket prices went UP, that was framed as “All season-ticket price increases correspond with the team playing 20 games in 2016-17 as compared to the 18 played during the first three seasons at Pegula Ice Arena.” I have no problem with that. An increase should have been expected.

This year we play 17 home games, but there's no equivalent ticket price reduction.

Very typical. I don’t know who they think they are fooling.

Note: I don't have an issue with the price increase. Clearly, demand would suggest that the tickets are under priced. It's the BS subterfuge they are going through to hide the actual price increase that bothers me.

I guess the single-game ticket prices are going up, given that. Not that there seemed to be a ton of them available in recent seasons, but now and then I could get decent seats at the window when I could not find them from a friend or from a seller outside the arena at game time.

Lar, do you happen to know:
- About how many season tickets are sold vs. capacity (not counting student seating)? Is there a pool of X number of season tickets, and the remainder vs. capacity are put into the single game ticket pool? If any, are the unsold season tickets from that pool held for the NLC sale as of the July non-season ticket sale date?
- Approx. how many people are on the waiting list for season tickets? What is the likelihood of getting season tickets if you're on the wait list?

Just a shot that you may know some of these details. If not, no biggie. Thanks.

Agree. They should just be honest and say the per game price has increased. People would understand given the recent team success and corresponding ticket demand. I've routinely resold tickets for double face value and on a couple occasions they went for triple. No doubt the university sees this and wants its cut of the producer surplus. The thinking is, "Why should the ticket holders get the extra money?"

And yeah, I know I'm a jerk for reselling tickets at a high price. It's supply and demand, baby!! Besides, it's nice to recoup some of my NLC contribution since I'm the guy laying the money out in the first place.

Last edited:
I guess the single-game ticket prices are going up, given that. Not that there seemed to be a ton of them available in recent seasons, but now and then I could get decent seats at the window when I could not find them from a friend or from a seller outside the arena at game time.

Lar, do you happen to know:
- About how many season tickets are sold vs. capacity (not counting student seating)? Is there a pool of X number of season tickets, and the remainder vs. capacity are put into the single game ticket pool? If any, are the unsold season tickets from that pool held for the NLC sale as of the July non-season ticket sale date?
- Approx. how many people are on the waiting list for season tickets? What is the likelihood of getting season tickets if you're on the wait list?

Just a shot that you may know some of these details. If not, no biggie. Thanks.

Don't know for sure, but a very high percentage, if not all, of the seats are sold as season tickets. Most of the single game tickets are those games that aren't in the students' season ticket plan (i.e. when they aren't on campus). Also, I don't have any insight into the size of the waiting list. However, even if some seats open up, existing season ticket holders get first crack at them, so there's not much turnover on the list at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
Haven't gotten the bill yet. I'll renew of course but that is interesting about the (effective) price increase.

Just be up front with people. Is that so much to ask, that the University be honest with the ticket-buying public? (Rhetorical question, of course - they haven't been honest about ANYTHING. EVER.)

So, this seems as good a thread as any to discuss... I'm a bit disappointed by the non-conference schedule this upcoming season. Coming off our strong season -- albeit with a record boosted by a weak non-conference schedule -- I was hoping we'd see some challenging games, but....

Now granted, the addition of Notre Dame to the conference does make the overall schedule better and provides fewer non-conference games (10 as opposed to 14) which limits flexibility. But those 10 games are 6 games against the AHA (2 each versus American International, Mercyhurst, and Robert Morris), 2 against independent/Div 1 newcomer Arizona St and then 1 each against ECAC teams St. Lawrence and Clarkson.

I can understand games against the other two PA teams, but did we have to have AIC and ASU -- which would be expected to be weak opponents -- filling out the schedule? And no games against any Hockey East or NCHC teams (the two strongest conferences)? I just feel like there could and should be some better balance.

So, this seems as good a thread as any to discuss... I'm a bit disappointed by the non-conference schedule this upcoming season. Coming off our strong season -- albeit with a record boosted by a weak non-conference schedule -- I was hoping we'd see some challenging games, but....

Now granted, the addition of Notre Dame to the conference does make the overall schedule better and provides fewer non-conference games (10 as opposed to 14) which limits flexibility. But those 10 games are 6 games against the AHA (2 each versus American International, Mercyhurst, and Robert Morris), 2 against independent/Div 1 newcomer Arizona St and then 1 each against ECAC teams St. Lawrence and Clarkson.

I can understand games against the other two PA teams, but did we have to have AIC and ASU -- which would be expected to be weak opponents -- filling out the schedule? And no games against any Hockey East or NCHC teams (the two strongest conferences)? I just feel like there could and should be some better balance.
I guess we signed a home and home with Arizona State so we owe them. Clarkson and the Fighting Larry's are fine non con opponents. You're 100% right with AIU - they're putrid.

You don't need to schedule North Dakota, but getting winnable but decent would be very good.

And no game in Philadelphia this year.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
And like last year, no Three Rivers Classic. I realize Robert Morris is the host team but it would be nice for local fans if PSU was in it every other year or so. Dec.9th to Jan. 5th is a long time between games.

Don't know for sure, but a very high percentage, if not all, of the seats are sold as season tickets. Most of the single game tickets are those games that aren't in the students' season ticket plan (i.e. when they aren't on campus). Also, I don't have any insight into the size of the waiting list. However, even if some seats open up, existing season ticket holders get first crack at them, so there's not much turnover on the list at all.

In case anyone (besides me!) is interested, here are the responses wrt these questions I got from the ticket office:

- How long is the wait list for hockey season tickets?
Over 600 accounts, ranked by NLC point total

- Is there a realistic chance to be able to purchase season tickets for '17-'18 if on the wait list?
Normally we only get to the top few of the wait list – how many accounts we make it to depends on season ticket renewal rate

- Is there a specific number of single-game tickets allocated for NLC members' purchase, or does it depend on the extent of season ticket sales?
Depends on season ticket sales

- If there is an allocation of single-game tickets for NLC members, is the priority given by NLC points?
NLC members and Hockey STH receive a promo code for a pre-sale on ticketmaster.com. Not ranked by NLC points.

In case anyone (besides me!) is interested, here are the responses wrt these questions I got from the ticket office:

- Is there a realistic chance to be able to purchase season tickets for '17-'18 if on the wait list?
Normally we only get to the top few of the wait list – how many accounts we make it to depends on season ticket renewal rate

- Is there a specific number of single-game tickets allocated for NLC members' purchase, or does it depend on the extent of season ticket sales?
Depends on season ticket sales

- If there is an allocation of single-game tickets for NLC members, is the priority given by NLC points?
NLC members and Hockey STH receive a promo code for a pre-sale on ticketmaster.com. Not ranked by NLC points.

I'm not sure how #3 is compatible with #2. It they only get to the top few on the wait list, then clearly they sell exactly as many season tickets as they want to. Since they control that number, how can they suggest that the number of single game tickets depends on the "extent" of season ticket sales? They know exactly how many season tickets they are going to sell so they can control the single game sales however they want.

Back when they first announce that they were going D1, I started purchasing season hockey tickets. Those Greenberg arena tickets were dirt cheap (well under $100) and it was one of the wisest moves I ever made. That purchase got me near the top of the hockey season ticket holders list. Those season ticket holders came first in the pecking order when it came time to sell season tickets for Pegula.

I don't like this year's schedule. Too many good games during football season, and several of those coincide with away football games. A Big Ten series over Thanksgiving weekend, and playoffs that stretch out over three weeks.

I don't like this year's schedule. Too many good games during football season, and several of those coincide with away football games. A Big Ten series over Thanksgiving weekend, and playoffs that stretch out over three weeks.

The new conference tournament arrangement is the best part of the schedule. The Big Tens were boring with nobody going. Now they be played on campus which vastly increase the attendance and will make the regular season results all that more important. There's a reason that pretty much every other conference uses this approach.

And like last year, no Three Rivers Classic. I realize Robert Morris is the host team but it would be nice for local fans if PSU was in it every other year or so. Dec.9th to Jan. 5th is a long time between games.

Reportedly, the reason why PSU didn't want to continue to participate is because they were having to play an "away" game against Robert Morris every year but never got any games versus them in Hockey Valley in return. Thus, the game this year are a compromise -- both RMU and PSU get home games and get to play. That means that PSU still gets to play in Pittsburgh.

I would like to see us play in some holiday tournament even if we don't do the Pittsburgh one. They are good for filling in the time gap in the schedule between semesters and for playing some variety of teams.

Yeah, I'm disappointed to see the Philly game go away. Might have fallen victim to the expansion of the Big Ten, I guess -- 10 versus 14 non-conference games is a big shift when it comes to schedule flexibility.

I wouldn't have minded scheduling one of the home games versus AIC or Mercyhurst in Philly instead.

Yeah, I'm disappointed to see the Philly game go away. Might have fallen victim to the expansion of the Big Ten, I guess -- 10 versus 14 non-conference games is a big shift when it comes to schedule flexibility.

I wouldn't have minded scheduling one of the home games versus AIC or Mercyhurst in Philly instead.
I agree. The number of PA kids on the team shows the strength of hockey here and with the fan bases in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia/SJ it would be a great recruiting tool and give a chance to see the team play since home games are generally Friday/ Saturday dates.

Reactions: NelsonMunce
So, as a guy who would like to get up to University Park to see the team one time this season, making a last minute decision, is it impossible to get tickets for a family of four? I watched lots of games when televised, and aside from the student section, I've seen lots of open seats during the game. Is the ticket exchange the best way to go? Stubhub?

So, as a guy who would like to get up to University Park to see the team one time this season, making a last minute decision, is it impossible to get tickets for a family of four? I watched lots of games when televised, and aside from the student section, I've seen lots of open seats during the game. Is the ticket exchange the best way to go? Stubhub?
I'd say the ticket exchange (the one on the PSU athletics website) is the way to go. It's managed by Ticketmaster. The tickets for sale are listed by season ticket holders. I've sold quite a few that way but there have been a couple times the tickets didn't sell even when I was asking the bare minimum price. I've seen seats listed for $100+ and the sellers don't lower the price as the game nears. Apparently those season ticket holders have money to burn and don't care if the seats are empty. They want big $$$ for them or nothing at all. I'm guessing many of the empty seats you see are due to that.

Last edited:

Typically, there are scalpers at the game but I'd hate to rely on them, plus lord knows what price you'd have to pay to get four seats together. I agree with NittPicker that the best place to go is the Ticketmaster ticket exchange. The tickets are guaranteed so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off. Just make sure that you print them off well before game time because they will expire if you wait too long - so your last minute decision can't literally be last minute (typically you have to print them off two hours before the game).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT