ADVERTISEMENT

History of Franklin Field in Philadelphia (re: football)

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
I was reading an article on line regarding. History of stadiums in the U.S
--Franklin Field oldest stadium that has had football games since 1895 and of course remains in use.
--Franklin Field firsts:
---1st stadium with a scoreboard
---1st stadium w/upper deck
---1st stadium from which a football game was broadcast via radio
---1st stadium from which a football game was telecast on TV

What legacy for that stadium that the Penn Quakers still use for home games.

I had the privilege in HS to run in the Penn Relays. I will never forget running on that track and watching some great Olympians and future Olympians run there.

Last edited:
I was reading an article on line regarding. History of stadiums in the U.S
--Franklin Field oldest stadium that has had football games since 1895 and of course remains use.
--Franklin Field firsts:
---1st stadium with a scoreboard
---1st stadium w/upper deck
---1st stadium from which a football game was broadcast via radio
---1st stadium from which a football game was telecast on TV

What legacy for that stadium that the Penn Quakers still use for home games.

I had the privilege in HS to run in the Penn Relays. I will never forget running on that track and watching some great Olympians and future Olympians run there.
Great old stadium, saw Penn play, they were competitive in those days, saw track meets, I believe Wilma Rudolph competed and of course the Eagles, other than size, can't imagine facilities 60 - 70 years ago were much different than today's Beaver/Paterno stadium.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I was there for a Penn game in the 1960's. Pretty big crowd as the Ivy's played pretty good football then. Of course, not like back when the stadium was new. Penn relays still bring in big time names.

Saw Ki-Jana dislocate his thumb when Penn State played Temple at Franklin Field in ‘94
I was there for that game. You could really feel the history of the stadium. It was like I was transported back to the 40’s. Very cramped quarters though. A bit claustrophobic.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Penn has all the money in the world, they can completely rebuild the interior, leaving the historic facade. The inside is an absolute dump.

An uncle of mine played football at Villanova in the 50s when the place would be packed. As a kid my dad recalls driving down the NJTP for his last game and being carried off by his brother.

I was at the 94 game, as well as a Penn game a year from about 2005-2015 as my bride works for the University and we'd take the kids to the Annual Penn Family Day event.

For small crowds and Ivy football it is sufficient, but Franklin Field felt more like the old JFK Stadium towards the end of that run.

Great place to see at least once

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT