ADVERTISEMENT

Highrise condo collapes on Collins Ave in Surfside-Miami

Did they find any settling/shifting/sink holes? I didn't see any and I don't remember seeing any reference to such, or is that still to be determined.
Don't know much about sink holes in Florida, but other siblings have shown the cleaned bottom slab of the building thoroughly cleaned of rubble. I believe evidence of a sink hole would be visible.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Step, none of these guys talk about factor of safety in design, it has been a long time since my design courses but most buildings these days are designed to a factor of safety of about 2, right?
Gebees SLUPSU, all designs steel, concrete, retaining walls, etc. All have a great design safety factor within their empirical design methods. 1980, don't know if allowable stress design was employed or the now common strength method. Never the less whatever the design method used at that time doesn't appear to be the cause of the failure....
Providing:
The design was performed in accordance with ACI practices at the time, which I'm sure it was, but latest info comming indicates maybe the specifications were a little weak in comparison to current specs....of course, doesn't take a structural guy to realize that the building had maintenance structural issues that needed to be addressed.

Given time, we will all know the cause of the Surfside collapse, or a fabrication there off....

Thank you manatree,
Very good article. I read an article last month that the general contractor quit about six months into construction due to numerous design changes during construction.
I thought it was a good cliff notes version of what is known so far. To me, this paragraph is key.

“The deck — which sat on skinny columns to maximize parking space below — was barely designed with enough strength to support a pool party, much less the layers of pavers and standing water that loaded it down over the decades,” the report says. “While original design flaws alone were unlikely to have initiated the collapse that happened 40 years after construction, engineers consulted by the Herald said the deficiencies, in combination with concrete deterioration, could have been the difference between a single floor caving in and the kind of progressive collapse that killed 98 people.”

Reactions: step.eng69
‘They Were Bullies’: Inside the Turbulent Origins of the Collapsed Florida Condo

The team that developed Champlain Towers managed to build the condos despite checkered pasts, internal strife and a last-minute change that infuriated leaders in Surfside, Fla.
NYTimes
By Mike Baker and Michael LaForgia
Aug. 25, 2021

While a lions share of the blame lies with the developers & builders,it appears that the local government officials were at best ill equipped to do their jobs. At worst, negligent or corrupt. Delegating the building inspections to the builders? Seriously?!?! Shoot, I’d have a PhD if I was allowed to grade my work myself.

Surfside had only a part-time building inspector, George Desharnais, who worked at the same time for Bal Harbour, Bay Harbor Islands and North Bay Village. Records show that the Surfside building department delegated inspections of the towers back to the Champlain Towers builders, who tapped their own engineer to sign off on construction work.

Last edited:
‘They Were Bullies’: Inside the Turbulent Origins of the Collapsed Florida Condo

The team that developed Champlain Towers managed to build the condos despite checkered pasts, internal strife and a last-minute change that infuriated leaders in Surfside, Fla.
NYTimes
By Mike Baker and Michael LaForgia
Aug. 25, 2021

While a lions share of the blame lies with the developers, it appears that the local government officials were at best ill equipped to do their jobs.
Add water/corrosion issues with a bad design, bad construction and lack of oversight and you get a catastrophic building collapse. Simply no excuse that this can happen. I'm not sure how the more recent structural reviews didn't catch the design issues unless it's not as much a design issue as a construction/material issue.

Sorry about that link, try this one below and scroll down to the file called "structural-plans," the one that's 9 MB's in size. There isn't a detail specific to that column, I suppose the approved shop drawings would have worked out the details beyond the contract documents. Lot's of other documents at the link.

Found this video by Josh Porter (building integrity). I like his presentations, makes the engineering mechanics in his discussions more palatable for public consumption.
Watched 1/2 the video, will continue another time.

Reactions: SLUPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT