ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball High effort leads PSU Hoops to big win in battle of rebuilding programs

mralph59

Staff Writer
Staff
Nov 1, 2021
State College, Pennsylvania
“They took it to us from the start, and we never punched back.”

In Penn State and Minnesota's rematch, the game plans weren't much different. But Penn State's intensity on both ends of the floor was. In a battle of a pair of programs in rebuilding mode, Micah Shrewsberry's Nittany Lions looked a bit farther along than Ben Johnson's Golden Gophers on Thursday.

More here:

“They took it to us from the start, and we never punched back.”

In Penn State and Minnesota's rematch, the game plans weren't much different. But Penn State's intensity on both ends of the floor was. In a battle of a pair of programs in rebuilding mode, Micah Shrewsberry's Nittany Lions looked a bit farther along than Ben Johnson's Golden Gophers on Thursday.

More here:
Another interesting quote at the end of Ben Johnson's presser: I asked him what if he and Micah Shrewsberry have had discussions with each other, considering they're both first-year coaching with heavy rebuilds in front of them. Here's what he said:

"We've talked. It's rare that you're able to come in, you know, to a league, especially one as good as the Big Ten and have somebody that knows exactly what you're going through. Most of the times, especially at this level, you might be the only guy with a bunch of veteran coaches. Even coaches that maybe aren't winning, they don't have the same roster or don't have the same build that you might be going with, so it's a little bit different when you talk to them. But with Micah, we're both battling, trying to try to get our programs going in the right direction. I think we do it more similar than different. And then we're both first year coaches. I think there's a lot of similarities there that we're able to talk about, discuss and bounce things off each other."

ADVERTISEMENT