ADVERTISEMENT

hey @hlstone ... field hockey note

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
sorry for a non-wrestling post, but @hlstone's daughter is a big-time FH player (and LAX player).

@hlstone -- as you know, on Blue-White weekend FH alums come back and play against the current FH team. I enjoy the contest, and have gone to it several years in a row. (BTW, I didn't see your daughter, your wife, and you at this year's contest.) Anyway, I usually stay to the end of the game, but my schedule was pretty busy on Saturday. So with the current team up 2-0, I left with about 12 minutes (or so) left in the game. So what happens? Well, the alums scored, to make it 2-1. Then the current team scored, to go back up by 2, 3-1. Then the alums scored twice, and the score at the end of regulation was 3-3. So they went to a penalty shoot-out, and the alums won the game! It was only the 2nd time in 20-some years that the alums had won. So I missed the dramatic finish, and you (unless I somehow didn't see you in the stands) missed the entire game.

Just thought you would be interested.

31166862_10216418340713813_231925489499897856_n.jpg

1rst B/W weekend we missed in 12 years. The kid and her team were busy winning a tourney in DE this weekend.

Thank you for the re-cap on the Alumni game. Any idea if they have video of the shootout?

Thank you for the re-cap on the Alumni game. Any idea if they have video of the shootout?

the contest was being filmed, though I'm not sure if any video has been posted.

congrats to your daughter and her team on their winning in DE. Where were they playing? Also, how did things go for her in the Futures experience?

And his daughter’s team won the Keystone State Games recently, I believe.

Plus he is a heck of a chef, just had his pizza a few weeks ago! It was great!

Reactions: hlstone
the contest was being filmed, though I'm not sure if any video has been posted.

congrats to your daughter and her team on their winning in DE. Where were they playing? Also, how did things go for her in the Futures experience?

She was playing at the DE Turf Sports Complex in Frederica.

Futures, she has her last practice this Sunday, then May 6th she has a regional tourney type thing to determine if she makes the U-14 team. zero expectations as most of the other keepers are talented as well. Some times she likes it and some times she doesn't. I will let you guys know if she makes it.

Thank you for asking Tom.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

Yes 2 golds in 3 weeks. They have finished many events with silver due to goal differential, it's nice that they are winning some.

Thank you for the kind words about my pizza. It maybe good , but you and your wife are great.

Hey Paul, you must come in for a piece of my cheesecake. This week it's apple caramel.

Being a Minnesotan who played hockey for a few years, we're always baffled by how there's more than one way to call the sport, aside from just plain ol' "hockey." o_O

We only play it on ice...

Being a Minnesotan who played hockey for a few years, we're always baffled by how there's more than one way to call the sport, aside from just plain ol' "hockey." o_O

well, let's see. there's :

- field hockey
- ice hockey
- roller hockey (both inline and quad)
- box hockey
- ice sledge hockey
- street hockey
- air hockey
- beach hockey
- ball hockey
- deck hockey
- floor hockey
- foot hockey
- indoor field hockey
- mini hockey (also called knee hockey, or mini sticks)
- nok hockey
- pond hockey
- power hockey
- rossall hockey
- table hockey
- underwater hockey
- unicycle hockey
- bubble hockey

There are also variations of hockey that don't include hockey in the title. These include:

- bandy
- broomball
- spongee
- shinty
- shinny
- rink bandy
- rinkball
- ringetter
- floorball

Hurling and camogie (male and female version of the same game) are played in Ireland, and have a lot of similarities to field hockey.

And while I tried to be pretty complete in this post, I'm probably leaving out a few other versions of hockey.

Reactions: hlstone
well, let's see. there's :

- field hockey
- ice hockey
- roller hockey (both inline and quad)
- box hockey
- ice sledge hockey
- street hockey
- air hockey
- beach hockey
- ball hockey
- deck hockey
- floor hockey
- foot hockey
- indoor field hockey
- mini hockey (also called knee hockey, or mini sticks)
- nok hockey
- pond hockey
- power hockey
- rossall hockey
- table hockey
- underwater hockey
- unicycle hockey
- bubble hockey

There are also variations of hockey that don't include hockey in the title. These include:

- bandy
- broomball
- spongee
- shinty
- shinny
- rink bandy
- rinkball
- ringetter
- floorball

Hurling and camogie (male and female version of the same game) are played in Ireland, and have a lot of similarities to field hockey.

And while I tried to be pretty complete in this post, I'm probably leaving out a few other versions of hockey.
Perhaps, but it still doesn't negate my point that we ONLY played hockey in Minnesota, with the exception of boot hockey, which was played on ice with boots on but non-competitively, and broomball, which does have well established leagues in the state.

Outside, of that, the rest is Greek to us.

One of my claims to fame in life is that Eric Strobel was my coach for one year that I played, who was on the Miracle on Ice team in 1980.

Perhaps, but it still doesn't negate my point that we ONLY played hockey in Minnesota, with the exception of boot hockey, which was played on ice with boots on but non-competitively, and broomball, which does have well established leagues in the state.

Outside, of that, the rest is Greek to us.

damn, that's not saying a lot for Minnesota.

From my list, I played:

- ice hockey
- roller hockey
- box hockey
- street hockey
- air hockey
- mini hockey
- pond hockey
- table hockey
- bubble hockey
- field hockey (one time -- as a senior in HS, a bunch of guys challenged the girls FH team to a match, after their season was over. The FH coach loved the idea, and served as the ref. We won, but the girls were irate. They said their coach let us get away with all kinds of illegal moves.)

damn, that's not saying a lot for Minnesota.

From my list, I played:

- ice hockey
- roller hockey
- box hockey
- street hockey
- air hockey
- mini hockey
- pond hockey
- table hockey
- bubble hockey
- field hockey (one time -- as a senior in HS, a bunch of guys challenged the girls FH team to a match, after their season was over. The FH coach loved the idea, and served as the ref. We won, but the girls were irate. They said their coach let us get away with all kinds of illegal moves.)
Well, without being too elitist (we DO tend to think that hockey should ONLY be played in certain parts of the country), it's more that we just don't acknowledge any kind of hockey off of the ice to be real hockey. :)

Reactions: purescurve
Update on the Futures. She played 6 games from 8am-1pm, then Goalie wars from 1-1:30. I thought she played well enough to make it to the next level (whatever that means). She has mixed feelings on the program. The coaches have her playing a different style than she usually plays, she did adapt, but when she incorporated that style with her club team, her club coach told her she didn't want her playing that style, and her school coach didn't like it either. I like her knowing 2 different styles, but what do I know. I don't know when she finds out if she made it to the National tourney.

She made the team as an alternate! She is quite surprised as she thought she was off that day.I still think she was the best goalie there ;). Have a great weekend gang!

congrats to her. any time you make an elite team, even if just as an alternate, it's quite an accomplishment. Here's hoping she makes the most of it, and proves in practice that she was deserving of being more than just an alternate.

the differing styles issue sounds like a nuisance in the short term. In the long term, she may end up adopting aspects of it into her preferred style.

ADVERTISEMENT