ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Fort Myers,

oriver

Aug 14, 2001
Buckets is closed today.
What's up with the forecast models showing 150mph but the actual reports from wink and other locals only state @120max? hope everybody around here are long gone or ready to turn into the storm.this is gonna get real, real quick. i know there's a bunch of PSU people in the lee county area that r silent on these forums . Just remember to give a shout if u need help afterwards. I'll be ready and able to lend a hand/chain saw. Be safe these next couple days. Oh one more thing, SHITT ON PITT!

The only thing the weather people have to sell is -- fear, and they do a lousy job of that.

We are here in Naples waiting for the game, thank you for the offer of assistance that might be needed.

Thanks oriver & retsio. Be safe and give us updates if you are able.

The only thing the weather people have to sell is -- fear, and they do a lousy job of that.

We are here in Naples waiting for the game, thank you for the offer of assistance that might be needed.
The NHC (and the Euro) did all they can, but sometimes it isn't enough. Weather.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Buckets is closed today.
What's up with the forecast models showing 150mph but the actual reports from wink and other locals only state @120max? hope everybody around here are long gone or ready to turn into the storm.this is gonna get real, real quick. i know there's a bunch of PSU people in the lee county area that r silent on these forums . Just remember to give a shout if u need help afterwards. I'll be ready and able to lend a hand/chain saw. Be safe these next couple days. Oh one more thing, SHITT ON PITT!
Are you the owner of Buckets(Jim)?

no, but my license plate 'PSU 1' hung on the kitchen/bar door for years. It's been a nice place to go game day if not having a tailgate party in the backyard.
Yes it was/is. I used to go there. I had a condo in the Forest CC and golfed with Jimmy numerous times. I regretted that we had to sell/leave, but today am thankful we don't own it anymore. Wish you all the best in trying to survive all that is about to hit you.

I own a place in Naples and was wondering how things are there now. Our place is in Forest Glen which is on Collier Blvd near I-75, across from the Wal Mart.

I own a place in Naples and was wondering how things are there now. Our place is in Forest Glen which is on Collier Blvd near I-75, across from the Wal Mart.
You're fine right now. We just started getting some showers and minor wind gusts from the outer bands. I'm about 14 miles north of there. I'll try and keep you posted as long as I have service if you like.

Buckets is closed today.
how's it down in naples bay area? the water in the caloosahatchee is being sucked out into the gulf right now. really weird sight. I'm on orange river it's down but not as drastic.

You're fine right now. We just started getting some showers and minor wind gusts from the outer bands. I'm about 14 miles north of there. I'll try and keep you posted as long as I have service if you like.
Thank you and good luck!

how's it down in naples bay area? the water in the caloosahatchee is being sucked out into the gulf right now. really weird sight. I'm on orange river it's down but not as drastic.
According to all the reports I've seen, Naples is supposed to have a 15 ft. storm surge and it is only 3 ft. above sea level. If that turns out to be accurate ...

Last edited:
According to all the reports I've seen, Naples is supposed to have a 15 ft. storm surge and it is only 3 ft. above sea level. If that turns out to be correct ...
What exactly does that mean? Does it mean 15' of water crashing in but quickly subsiding? Or does it mean that 15' deep water covers Naples for a few days? How far inland does the water go?

What exactly does that mean? Does it mean 15' of water crashing in but quickly subsiding? Or does it mean that 15' deep water covers Naples for a few days? How far inland does the water go?
Depends on where and which way the wind blows. Counter clockwise storm trying to get into waterways that aren't configured that way.

Right now, water is getting sucked OUT of some of the waterways. That will change later on today.

At this point just after noon, Irma will make landfall just east of Marco Island and pass east of Naples around 4+/- this afternoon. Of course the track could change by about 20 miles either way as it hits the land mass. The Ten Thousand Islands area below Marco is flat and hardly 30" above sea level, but the Naples residential area is several feet above the Gulf. The hotels along the water will be affected (Ritz, LaPlaya) will be damaged but the residential majority will see water in the roads but that is all. Bonita Springs and downtown Fort Myers, Sanibal Island and Ft Myers Beach will really be hit hard and water over everything.

I/we are approx. 6 miles from the Gulf and have heavy rain and some winds now, but the eye wall is not concentric and the hurricane winds are only 70-80 for 300+miles covering FLA, the eye wall winds are 130 at this time.

The storm surge hype is extreme and will be only after the storm passes from the back side. The estimates from NOAA, and the Weather Channel (owned by IBM) have reduced their numbers to 9 feet and the local channels in Naples are still pushing for everyone to have patience with the water rising numbers.

We should be out of this sometime tomorrow as Tampa and Orlando get hit. BTW, the chocolate chip cookies are great and my wife is making banana bread this afternoon -- she is nervous as this is her first real experience. Thank goodness we avoided Sandy on LBI.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Thanks for the report Retsio. You're right about storm surge over there. Right now the storm is emptying the waterways. Once the eye passes, it will start filling them up.

While water is dangerous and people certainly drown, it's the wind in FL that you need to be on top of usually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT