ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Flyers Fans, what do you think of your new coach?

Dave Hakstol from North Dakota. My god. What is wrong with that front office?

I don't know. It certainly caught everyone off guard. At least it ends the cycle of hiring NHL coaches who just failed at (insert any city) where they will be 'so- so' before failing at Philly too and then going through the same motions every 4 years or so. The NHL is a lot like the NFL where coaches just cycle the league no matter how bad they are. This was definitely 'outside the box'. Time will tell.

No NHL experience as an assistant or head coach. The hiring is a stunner, to say the least. Hextall has been pretty mute about what he was thinking over the past month. That said, most insiders and/or reporters felt that Mike Babcock was the guy that Hextall really wanted, which is part of why the process took so long.

I believe he's the first NCAA hockey coach to be hired as a NHL head coach since 1982 (Bob Johnson from Wisky to Calgary).

Could turn out to be a great hire, or it could remain a head scratcher for years to come. Only time will tell.

No NHL experience as an assistant or head coach. The hiring is a stunner, to say the least. Hextall has been pretty mute about what he was thinking over the past month. That said, most insiders and/or reporters felt that Mike Babcock was the guy that Hextall really wanted, which is part of why the process took so long.

I believe he's the first NCAA hockey coach to be hired as a NHL head coach since 1982 (Bob Johnson from Wisky to Calgary).

Could turn out to be a great hire, or it could remain a head scratcher for years to come. Only time will tell.

A few teams have had pretty good results with coaches who came out of the AHL. They're used to the travel demands of playing an 80 game schedule with limited practice time. Flyers fans spend a lot of money and are dedicated fans. I just think you guys are being let down by a front office that can't get out of it's own way.

Tough to keep the boys attention at a Monday practice. When you want to go over film, get em on the ice for extensive practices after they just played 3 games in 4 nights.

I like it. What I was most worried about was missing out on a guy like Babcock or McLellan and having to settle for the half-dozen retread coaches who cycle around the league. I like it for a few reasons: (1) Hextall has repeatedly talked about his emphasis on player development and the team has been working to improve the talent and depth in the farm system, and hiring a guy from a program like North Dakota will only help on that front. (2) hes not a former Broad Street Bully or career NHL meathead who will have Snider's ear, and hopefully the new coach will have a better grasp on how to succeed in the modern NHL and not the NHL of the 1970s. (3) if you're going to hire a college coach, North Dakota is probably as close as it gets to the facilities, talent level, fan support and expectations that you'll see in the NHL at the college level, and he's certainly succeeded in that environment.

I don't know if he'll succeed or not, but I admire Hextall's willingness to go outside of the box and not just throw the most money at a coach.

I like it. What I was most worried about was missing out on a guy like Babcock or McLellan and having to settle for the half-dozen retread coaches who cycle around the league. I like it for a few reasons: (1) Hextall has repeatedly talked about his emphasis on player development and the team has been working to improve the talent and depth in the farm system, and hiring a guy from a program like North Dakota will only help on that front. (2) hes not a former Broad Street Bully or career NHL meathead who will have Snider's ear, and hopefully the new coach will have a better grasp on how to succeed in the modern NHL and not the NHL of the 1970s. (3) if you're going to hire a college coach, North Dakota is probably as close as it gets to the facilities, talent level, fan support and expectations that you'll see in the NHL at the college level, and he's certainly succeeded in that environment.

I don't know if he'll succeed or not, but I admire Hextall's willingness to go outside of the box and not just throw the most money at a coach.

You might have two re-tread coaches in the finals this year. Bruce Boudreau and Alain Vignault - NYR. Your old guy Laviolette had a pretty good year in Nashville. Barry Trotz re-surfaced in Washington and was fine. Not sure you can re-invent the wheel. Just me. I'd rather have a coach with professional experience. Could be AHL.

Head-scratcher given the makeup of the team. I could see it if they were basically building from scratch or trying to mold some young core talent but this looks a lot like square peg in a round hole. My first thought was the Pens hire of Johnston last summer but even then, Johnston had some considerable experience as an NHL assistant.

On the other hand, some Junior coaches have been very successful making the direct jump and the thing NCAA coaches have going for them is they're developing players further along than the Junior system.

Dave Hakstol from North Dakota. My god. What is wrong with that front office?

To be honest with you, being that the most recent head coach was Craig Berube, I'm fine with it. The team is not a player or two away from competing. They have 4 or 5 high end defensemen prospects not in the NHL yet so this may be a 3 or 4 year plan. So I'd give this guy a shot as he's coached upwards of 20 NHL guys at ND. I'm just happy they went outside of the organization for the head coach.

It just doesn't matter. Of all the teams in Philadelphia this one is the worst. They have NO idea on what to do. It's not a money issue. I think they just keep watching the "relplay" of the game when they mugged the Russians to end the Cold War

It just doesn't matter. Of all the teams in Philadelphia this one is the worst. They have NO idea on what to do. It's not a money issue. I think they just keep watching the "relplay" of the game when they mugged the Russians to end the Cold War
I'm no Flyers fan. But, they've been to 4 Finals since the Pens drafted Lemieux. The Pens have been to four also. Won three. Flyers have been a lot better than most other fan bases give them credit for.

I think its a great hire. He is a no nonsense coach, he disciplines and rewards hard work, something the Flyers lacked.

I'm fine with the hire assuming there isn't going to be immediate pressure to compete for a cup. Having never coached at the NHL level, he's going to make mistakes so hopefully he has the leash to grow into the position and can learn how to motivate professionals. Realistically, the flyers are still a couple years away from competing for a cup so from that perspective, I'm glad they went with a fresh face. It's also an indication that they are moving away from the old mindset. I disagree that the team doesn't have an idea about how to improve. I think it's pretty clear that Hextall has a plan going forward and this move is consistent with that.

I'm not totally sure I buy the fact that Babcock was their guy, realistically. They can't compete prospect wise with some of the other openings, and frankly the Flyers prospect pool is considered middling at best (from top to bottom).

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that Hextall's son played under him for 3 years at NoDak, so there would be a comfort level there already in place, from system to style.

Have to give Hextall credit for going outside the Good Old Boys club on Broad Street, something they always seem reluctant to do.

I'm no Flyers fan. But, they've been to 4 Finals since the Pens drafted Lemieux. The Pens have been to four also. Won three. Flyers have been a lot better than most other fan bases give them credit for.

I hear you. I "used" to be a very big fan. I personally know some of the "original" Broad Street Bullies. Yes, I'm that old.Plus it always seems the don't get that "type" of hockey is done. That being said I can't even watch them anymore. The team "always" seems to be lost?
As far as the coach hire, it seems like a long shot and a desperate move.

Really, I hope I'm proved wrong. There is always hope :)

I hear you. I "used" to be a very big fan. I personally know some of the "original" Broad Street Bullies. Yes, I'm that old.Plus it always seems the don't get that "type" of hockey is done. That being said I can't even watch them anymore. The team "always" seems to be lost?
As far as the coach hire, it seems like a long shot and a desperate move.

Really, I hope I'm proved wrong. There is always hope :)
Why is it a desperate move? If they were desperate, they would have thrown ridiculous money at Babcock. I see it being more like the Eagles hiring of Chip Kelly. Risky, but could pay big dividends if it works. He may fail horribly, but I like it better than a retread hire.

Why is it a desperate move? If they were desperate, they would have thrown ridiculous money at Babcock. I see it being more like the Eagles hiring of Chip Kelly. Risky, but could pay big dividends if it works. He may fail horribly, but I like it better than a retread hire.

Well, I hope it does work. It "appears" a bit unusual. Maybe the Flyers are on to something. I do like he is not from the "normal" list that has failed them time and time again in recent years.

The problem with the Flyers was not and has not been head coaches. They just get blamed for the management above them which has been terrible. This Coach comes with a built in excuse if he fails, and is also a Hextall guy. No way Hexy was giving up any control to Babcock. Message has been sent to fans and players alike. Bumpy road ahead. Could turn out great, in a few years. The near term prognosis was not promising anyway. Let the surgeries continue. Another Richards/ Carter type core replacement is quite possible.

What will the Flyers do with Vinny? I think the Flyers did very well receiving Gudas, a 1st, and a 3rd for Coburn; though Coburn has solidified our defense.

I think this coaching move signals a dumping of the old and bringing in young kids that will play hard and give Flyers' fans hope for a bright future...

What will the Flyers do with Vinny? I think the Flyers did very well receiving Gudas, a 1st, and a 3rd for Coburn; though Coburn has solidified our defense.

I think this coaching move signals a dumping of the old and bringing in young kids that will play hard and give Flyers' fans hope for a bright future...

Bright future indeed with your young D players coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT